American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:25 pm 

Looking back on my notes it looks like the ANV OOB was updated with new recruits, etc. and I was just waiting on the okay to issue final orders to my army and the only other person I was in contact with, Ted. I believe I had issued dispatches to all other generals but had not received acknowledgements from them.

I don't know whether the strategic part of the turn had been completed since the economic changes affected that. There were also some map changes that were being phased in over the next turn.

For sure we need to verify all armies have active commanders and replace those who don't have time for the game. Also, some of the politicians may need replacing for same reason.

Make sure all dispatches and orders between players have been sent and received.

Make sure all the economic and strategic items to complete the turn are done.

Issue army orders and lock and load.[:)]

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:13 pm 
<i>So gentlemen … let me ask the question. What is the absolute next thing that MUST happen to get the next turn in gear?</i>

For me, just permission to move South! Other than that, I'm ready to go!

V/R,

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:07 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
All turns and correspondence should still include Hank and me.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is Hank ready to resume that function? If not, then perhaps someone can take his place temporarily until his RL issues are resolved.

I agree with General Whitehead's assessment of the current situation, and the issues that still need to be resolved before play resumes:

<i>...I was just waiting on the okay to issue final orders to my army and the only other person I was in contact with, Ted. I believe I had issued dispatches to all other generals but had not received acknowledgements from them.</i>
We need to determine who among us is still available for duty. Perhaps a general email should be sent to all the previous participants, to see who is still active. Once we've determined who is still playing, we can recruit some new players to fill the vacancies.

<i>I don't know whether the strategic part of the turn had been completed since the economic changes affected that. There were also some map changes that were being phased in over the next turn.</i>
Is everything in place to resume the hostilities? I'm not sure where we were when things ground to a halt either. Maybe a recap would be helpful?

<i>For sure we need to verify all armies have active commanders and replace those who don't have time for the game. Also, some of the politicians may need replacing for same reason.</i>
Once we determine who is still active, we should consider setting a new date for elections and allow some brief period for the new commanders to contact and consult with their officers, to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

<i>Make sure all dispatches and orders between players have been sent and received.</i>
Again, and I know I sound like a broken record at this point, we should take full advantage of the closed forums on the FTW site, especially during the restart, to expedite communications between commanders. Hank and Notso can monitor those sites.

<i>Make sure all the economic and strategic items to complete the turn are done.</i>
This is a Hank issue, and again, is Hank ready to get back into the game? If not, can someone temporarily manage it in his absense?

<i>Issue army orders and lock and load.</i>
Before we get another month older.

One last point, (and I do hope this will be seriously considered) is that we will drop the rule about fighting a pre-determined number of turns and allow the Generals involved to fight their battles until one side or the other either surrenders, exits the board (or declares his intention to retire).

We ran into a terrible problem during General Whitehead's fight against General Kaulbars at Bull Run. Both armies were still on the field at the end of the scenario, and no end of trouble resulted.

Did Kaulber's retire? Did he dig in? Shouldn't Whitehead be able to tell whether Kaulbars had retired or stayed, etc., etc. If we allow them to fight it out, then there will be no question about who did what.

Of course, in the case of retiring from the field, the rules may need to be abridged so that one side couldn't hide one cavalry unit deep in the woods, and leave the matter undecided. Once the Commanding General moved off the map, all units remaining on the field would be considered retired. Unless they were surrounded, in which case they would be considered captured.

Perhaps some pre-determined length can be set for seiges, which would allow both players to remain on the same field from one turn to the next. But meeting battles should be fought until one side surrenders or leaves.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:43 am 
Gen Whitehead & Huffman were cut off and therefore couldn't communicate via forums or other means with other players - only by courier and hope that they got through by die rolls. So they were generally not totally informed on the strategic situation.
Game turn length for scenarios was predetermined by Hank doing a die roll. Us players had an idea but really did not know the length of a battle. Hank said that added FoW not knowing if weather, darkness, or some other factor ended battles before players were ready. Had players had more control over that a number of things would be different. Example with my numerous battles at Paducah -- Gen Pinkham and the other I faced that I can't recall by name, would have been crushed if I had more time and it would not have gone to the following battle where Gen Weir had a relief column coming. And in that battle, Gen Weir with more time could have broken through to relieve Gen Pinkham's force. So I would say leave things as they are and perhaps in a future version of FtW reconsider and change things the way Mr Hayes suggests.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 pm 
Your point is well taken General Schlitte, but it was my understanding that the 'Battle Phase' provided a 30 day game window to resolve fights. Lee got three days at Gettysburg and was then obliged to withdraw from the field.

Despite the formidable tactical skills of the officers involved in FTW, I doubt that anyone could sustain a fight much longer, unless chucking rocks becomes an option.

The fight at Paducah was a siege, and as I stated earlier, some pre-set time limit might be established that would allow the players to remain in place from one phase to the next. My suggestion would only apply to Meeting Battles.

But perhaps, this is a question that should be resolved in another version of FTW. I will leave the decision to those who are still actively involved in the project.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:41 am 

I believe all the tactical battles in FtW were limited to a maximum time of one day. This is more driven by a need to keep the game from lasting longer than all the wars the U.S. has been in than to reflect any kind of reality. A number of battles, like First Manassas, did last through two strategic turns since neither side quite the field after the first day of battle.

Only if you have an exceptionally committed set of generals can you consider battles longer than one day since the strategic turn can't advance until all battles are resolved. It would take at least next day turn execution on everyones part to get through a two day battle in reasonable time especially since the larger battles usually involve multiplayer.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 am 
You're absolutely right, General Whitehead. A three-day scenario might well take more than a month to execute, especially with multiple players involved. Consider the suggestion withdrawn.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:03 pm 

Dang you guys have been busy. I been away for awhile and had not checked the boards. Sounding good. I'm still set on go if this thing can get back off the ground.

General Willie Passmore
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps, AoP

General Willie Passmore
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps, AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:49 am 
Notso,

In an effort to get things moving again, perhaps you should send out a general email to everyone who was previously involved in this effort in order to see who is still interested.

This would accomplish two things. First, it would update your email list, and confirm that everyone is still in communication, and second, it would determine who is still playing.

Once we have a head count, we'll know how many vacancies we need to fill. Some time should then be given to recruiting some new victims...er...players.

Once we get a full roster of players, we should consider setting a date for new elections, taking full advantage of the closed forums on the FTW site, (to allow for a certain amount of campaigning on each side).

Once the elections are completed, allow a certain amount of time for the officers involved to consult on the best way to proceed, and then set a date for the resumption of hosilities.

I'm thinking that the first week in October would be a good time to get this effort moving again. This would also allow sufficient time for the Managers to work the final bugs out of the system, so that the game would proceed smoothly from that point forward. What do you think?

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:18 am 
Notso,

I would like to formally request the re-creation of the CSA Private Forum at www.acwgc.org

Thank you,

President Hinkle

BGen Robert Hinkle
1st Infantry Divsion
I Corps/Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:16 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />President Hinkle,
It is still there. It never went away. The last post was Feb. 23.
If I can provide assistance with it ... just let me know.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmm, Can you provide the link to it? And check to see if I have access? After logging into that forum software I don't see that as an option and the link from the ACWGC FTW page goes to the default forum.

Thank you.

BGen Robert Hinkle
1st Infantry Divsion
I Corps/Army of Alabama