American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:42 am 
<b>Basic Scenario:</b> HPS 007 The Battle of Gettysburg -3 days 158 turns
Forces and arrival/release times are standard.

<b>Yankee Material Advantages:</b>
Army of Potomac 95,416 vs Army Northern Virginia 73,300 = 22,000 Union combat soldiers surplus
Approximately 100 extra AoP cannons

<b>Modifications: </b>
1. Pennsylvania is Union territory. All victory point hexes start the game as Union except a single Cashtown-Pass hex, for the ANV supply line.
2. There are 6 Gettysburg VP hexes which represent significant objectives for the ANV to gain and control. Their VP values are reduced to 100 to 300 VPs so that the ANV may be encouraged to go for an advance reflecting greater success.
3. Emmitsburg, Taneytown, Littlestown, and New Oxford now have objective hexes with VP values to represent greater ANV success if it can capture and hold any of them with 1500 men within 6 hexes of the objective at or after while maintaining possession.
There are two west edge VP hexes that the ANV may capture for resupply should it decide to abandon Cashtown and move south.
4. All infantry corps units have basic small arms supply adequate to provide a one time resupply with additional divisional supply wagons, as required.
Cavalry have game default divisional supply because they were not expected to conduct sustained combat and supplied less.
J.E.B. Stuart's division will have a 300 factor supply wagon arrive, representing the 100+ wagons captured during his absence.
5. The ANV has two extra army supply wagons, and the AoP has three, to resupply units at discretion of the army commanders.

<b>EXPLANATION </b>
This "mod" will enable the ANV to abandon the Gettysburg area and march on to a greater success threatening the Union capitol and Baltimore. If the AoP decides to avoid fighting for Gettysburg while it waits for reinforcements, then it may find that it is fighting "The Battle of Taneytown" to protect more important cities.

<b>Organization</b>
Our competent and aggressive rebel team of 3 will take on an equivalent team of up to 4 Yankees. [fast file turnaround keeps players active}
I recommend that all yank opponents be veteran players, although "you people ought to organize yoreselves." [;)]
If you think that the Union side is surrendering too much advantage, the Confederate team is willing to wear Union blue for a game to prove otherwise. [:D]

When you have enough players and are ready to start, contact me at:
rossmcdaniel@sbcglobal.net
I shall send the mod,"Battle Beyond Gettysburg," and game mod notes to any who inquire.

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG

“Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right—a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can, may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 am 

I would like to be part of the Union team for this one.

Brigadier-General Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm 
I also would like to saddle up for this one.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"Into the breach"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:46 pm 
When there are three Yankees who have asked and been sent the files, I recommend that the Union players are ready to organize a startup for the game.
Waiting for a future recruit is worthwhile, because some Union corps on map are released after several turns and II, V, VI and the Union Cavalry Corps are still off map.

I shall notify the first three when they all have shown up and received their files. You may want to keep some players in reserve just in case of personality conflicts or "real life" interventions that cause players to drop.

BG Ross McDaniel
rossmcdaniel@sbcglobal.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 am 

As a reb, I would be interested in obtaining the file to possibly be a part of a team some day.

My email is markvacc1@aol.com

Col. Mark Vaccaro
1/4/II/AoG/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:35 am 
Gen. Groce,

I clicked on your name from this link to advise you to send me a personal e-mail last night, but have seen no response.
Sometimes the club link to a name on the post does not work for whatever reason, probably not up to date on address. I have found from club members that this club link on my posting name is not working.

to All:

I have at present sent the files to a total of 5 club members but only one yank, so far. We rebels are ready to go and have the nucleus for another team, or possible individual matches.

The main benefit to the rebels is that with careful play, there should be a possibility of having enough small arms ammo to last out 3 days of combat, instead of running low and out on the second day. [:p]

Second benefit is that if the yanks adopts the "rope-a-dope" strategy of giving up Gettysburg for two days to mass their forces, the ANV can abandon or lose Gettysburg and Cashtown VP hexes to gain more on capturing some of the four towns closer to Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. The question then is, will rebels be able to hold them?

The ANV should not be tethered to Gettysburg VP hexes if AoP deployments and losses offer greater opportunities to threaten major cities.

However, the AoP still has overwhelming advantages when players have near equal skills. The AoP also gets more small arms ammo and more sensible and strategic Gettysburg VP hexes which it can concentrate to hold, if only a portion of them, to threaten an ANV advance past Gettysburg, if the rebel commander decides to go beyond.
That is why my team is quite willing to give up these mod benefits for those AoP advantages and play as Damnyankees.Hack! <SPIT!> ...just to show how good we are. [8D]

But we ain't surprized if mos' yanks are skeered.

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG

“Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right—a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can, may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:26 am 
Thank you Ross, I have the files. I find it sad that there seems to be an ongoing shortage of yanks willing to step up, maybe we could entice some rebs to come over to our side, we have shoes, food, and a bevy of southern bells to share.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"Into the breach"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:50 am 
Generals Groce and Wilkes,

It has only been three days and two Yankees are plenty to start, and it will take a few weeks of play before you need another. I would say, let's give it a week for a 3rd Union player to show up, and then if one does not....(?)

We have rebels to spare, who would like to join in, if you want to accept one of ours.
MG Kennon Whitehead of the Confederate War College has already volunteered his services, but you cannot have him because he is too strong a player and knowledgeable about this game and especially about the HPS-007 scenario. [:(!]

Actually, you can, [8D] but I just wanted to fret you a bit on what you're missing. [;)] [:o)]
That would give you three players to start, which is more than enough, and it will probably be a month or more before the ANV needs a third to move Longstreet's corps.

You may remember that it was subordinate corps commanders who got the battle started, without command or supervision by army commanders,... just in case someone comes in later who you all later agree is the best to be overall AoP commander.
I think that for us in the ANV, it will be interesting to have A.P. Hill and Ewell on map, marching to battle, with neither in overall command or able to order the other...neither player knowing who, or maybe a new arrival, will eventually take the role of Gen. Lee.
((We have also been using delayed communications from the players.)

In fact, both teams can do that, with designation of commander made when Lee arrives and Meade is activated on map. Just a thought. [?]
I remember that when Hancock arrived, that he and Howard had a slight head butting contention about who was in charge of the battlefield.
All this does not lead to best play and performance, but it does add to historical realism in the problems that arise.

We will need to exchange files quickly for the first hours of day 1 to get the other teammates involved ASAP.
The present ANV team has been able to do that within 24 hours consistently with 3 players and lots of movement and combat going on.

Do you want to begin, or prefer to wait for your third and fourth players?

BG Ross McDaniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:17 am 
One last plea for a Union officer to join this venture, otherwise we will welcome a Reb officer into the fray.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"Into the breach"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:55 am 

David,
if you don't get a blue-belly who wants in, keep me in mind, i wouldn't mind putting on the old uniform again!
regards,
<salute>

Lt. Col. Nick DeStefano
4/4/IV/AotM
"Morgan's Kentucky Wolf-Pack Bde"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:36 pm 

Sirs

I will toss my hat into the Yankee corner if there is still an opening. Looks to be a great challenge.

Colonel McDonald
3rd Brigade, 2nd Div, XVI Corps Artillary
Army of the Tennessee

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]