American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:42 am 

Anyone up for a live internet game this week? After today I'm quite free through the weekend. I've done this once before, and it sure does add to the tension! It would need to be something on the smallish side. I am in the UK (just to note the time difference if you're not).

I have all the games apart from HPS Shiloh. Send a rider to my tent if interested. (bishop13 (at) btinternet.com) Open to any, all or no optional rules, and either phased or single-turn format. Being live play opens the door for manual defensive fire, though!

So...any yank out there ready to have my boot print implanted on his/her backside?? [8D]

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "Yankee Thrasher"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:43 am 

A low whisper is heard from the US picket line in front of Baird's division. "Here they come!" a staff officer says, turning to general Baird. General Baird nodds, but refrain from answering.
Some hundred meters to the front, the captain in charge of the pickets looks to the right and the left, pleased to see his company standing fast like one man. "Steady ladds - when they are thirty paces in front of us, we will open fire at my command! And at my command only! Take aim at their belts!"

The undergrowth in front of the company begins to move and a rugged line of soldiers clad in butternut and grey becomes visible for the US pickets. "Ready - aim - FIRE!" the captain of the pickets calls out in a steady voice. The salvo of the pickets cuts through the silence like a hot knife through butter and is clearly audiable at Gen Bairds position. The popping of the picket lines of both sides signals that the hot contest for the Winfrey Field at Chickamauga is about to begin..

Maj Truner,
my courier is on his way through your lines!
(BGC #12, "We Shall Soon Be In It!"

Gen Lars W
1/XIV
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:43 am 

Sean,

have sent you IP three times but it seems that you don't get my mails..

Gen Lars W
1/XIV
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:01 pm 

Just to let everyone know we finally got it working and the game went down to the last 2 turns!!

So consider that a recommendation to you. 12 turn game; took around 5 hours (not including the problems getting started).

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:36 pm 

After the first two volleys, the skirmish line retreated back towards the Union main line... The gray lines followed closely, steadily advancing, firing regimental volleys at intervals.
Suddenly a sharp burst cut through the popping of muskets... A battery of US heavy guns opened up on the Confederate lines and almost 200 rebs fell like timber...
"Ready - aim - FIRE" the regimental commande shouts - despite the heavy fire the rebel lines continue to advance against the lonley US battery.. soon the battle turns into severe hand-to-hand fighting and the battery is captured by the rebs!
Gen Baird try every mean to rally the troops in order to stop the rebel hoards.. and succeeds! But at that point rebel cavalry turns up right in front of the US left flank and tries to press the US lines back.
Col Connan suddenly notices that the rebs give way, slowly and the US lines seem to hold even this time. Confident, Gen Baird turns to his aide: "That went fairly well, Captain. We have heaps of rebs lying dead in front of us and I doubt they will charge our left again. However, I cannot risk moving any troops from their good positions until I am sure what they are up to!"

Gen Baird would regret that decision later, as about an hour later, a large reb force shows up before the US right flank, that just has been reinforced by Gen Johnson's division.
With Gen Palmer supporting his right, Gen Johnson decides to risk an assault on the rebel force. "Now or never!" the general shouts to the bypassing troops. "We must fall on the rebs with all our force and at all hazards!" he continues, turning to the commander of the first brigade.
Gen Johnson watches the division deploy and dive into the heavily wooded area around the Winfrey Field. Soon however, he notices the sounds of battle coming back, accompanied by the well-known rebel yell.. The rebs are counter-attacking! Reinforced by the cav from the US left, they now overwhelm the two US divisions and finally become halted at the mouths of two US batteries...

The game turns from a US minor victory, back to a rebel major victory and then again back to a CSA minor victory...

Very well played Sean! A pleasure to do battle with such a fine officer![:)]

Gen Lars W
1/XIV
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]