American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 am 

UPDATE: Turn 8 completed - fighting has started. MORE PLAYERS MAY JOIN - PLEASE!

*** We are playing with the latest HPS version, which is 2.01. The latest JTS version is 2.02. I am led to believe that the 2 are not compatible. ***

Now playing with 4 USA players and ONLY 2 CSA players, at a good pace (we could add more players) - currently at Turn 9.

I am acting as "Moderator". None of the participants would know who the other participants are. All communications via myself. Please do not post a reply on the Forum if you have an interest in participating - e-mail me direct at

neilsherriff1@gmail.com

stating preference, if any, for USA or CSA, and preferences (if any).

If desired, then the units controlled by each player can be varied. I could take temporary "control " if I think someone has had long enough to do their turn or are not available. I want to make it a little bit "random" - possibly frustrating, but intention of surprises that need to be dealt with.

Before the game commences, subordinate players submitted their assessment of the current situation and proposed a plan of action for their army. The Army Commanders then issued orders. However, due to incompetent staff work, these orders were re-written by me so they are not as straightforward - a bit of confusion seems historically accurate. This procedure would also take place at future points in the game - at my choosing. For all Orders, there would also be a small chance that these they could (after a delay) "fall into the hands" of the an opposing Commander or subordinate.

Also, Army Commanders, may at other times of their choosing, issue orders to their subordinates - there could be a time delay before there orders are delivered. Zero delay if close by, but say up to 5 turns delay if far away. Plus there is a small chance of orders going missing (if they arrive, then you will be notified [but again, there could be a delay in this]). Again, these orders may be re-written by me. Similar for communications back up the chain of Command.

I would choose the order each turn that the players on a particular side will take their turns. If a player's turn would just involve a long boring march, then I might do those moves myself - to speed up proceedings. I might also move some units, just to make things a bit unpredictable (but will always generally act more cautiously then you would want and perhaps take a wrong road) - "stuff happens". Some wagons or limbers might have some temporary "problems".

I would "end" each sides turn. Prior to doing that, I would send the current situation to all members of that army so that they could view how everyone on their side has moved. The game file ready for the next side would be e-mailed to all members of that side so that they can review the opposing sides moves. At the same time an instruction would be given as to whether a player should now do their move or not.

Optional Rules. All selected apart from: Manual Defensive Fire, Optional Melee Resolution (each player would carry out his own melees at the end of his own moves/fires), Artillery Capture, and Mixed Organisational Penalty.

Your obedient servant

"He walked with long, ungraceful strides, enormous feet adding to the spectacle, and he sat a horse as if leaning into a strong wind."

Last edited by Sherriff1 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am 

Very interesting, sir. I would volunteer as one of your participants. I'd prefer a Union posting, happy to play any position you deem appropriate.

Army of the Potomac.
http://campcromwell.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 am 

There have been a couple of previous games along these lines. I both played in a couple and ran two such games.
The problem was the only way to do these back then was to use the Corinth 1.01 engine as the oob and maps were locked after the next patch.
With the recent updates unlocking some of this a new game with the updated engine could be much better.
My current real life situation has greatly reduced both my available time and my interest in the ACW games.
I find myself making up for the time I didn't get to spend with my kids due to work by spending it with their kids.

I still have the webpages I put up for my games a decade ago, this includes the tables I used for player orders as well as screen shots showing the battle progress.

If you're interested you can visit the sites at http://srmp.thealleghenyblues.com/ and http://mp2.thealleghenyblues.com/

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:46 pm 

Hello gentlemen:

I'd like to play for the Blue Team in a Corps capacity.

Dave

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:14 am 

I'm up for playing any position any side.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 am 

SMH here .. he said dont reply here directly! LOL

Or am I the only one that reads these threads ;)

I played a 3x3 game of one of the big Antietam scenarios (not the Battle of Antietam) and from what I remembered it was fun. I dont think we finished but the playing we got in was fun.

Enjoy guys ;)

Optional Rules I Use in WDS ACW Games:
(by column from left to right)
Column 1: All ON except for Man. Def. Fire; Column 2: All ON except for Alt Fixed Unit Rel.; Column 3: All ON except for Art.Capt. & Prop.Op.Fire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 am 

This game just ended on turn 69 with a minor victory for the Confederates. Almost three years in the running! My compliments to Major General Neil Thomas whose vision this was, to my Confederate opponents for their perseverance and victory, to my fellow Union players, and to the ACWGC for making it possible.

<SALUTE>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:22 am 

Nice dedication!
Any noteworthy things the gentlemen would like to share with use?

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:47 am 

Hagerstown was the key. Lee sent Jackson to interdict and isolate Porter, Franklin and all the cavalry. Jackson prevented them from moving south and merging with Hooker and Sumner who were being engaged by Longstreet around Boonesboro. Sumner spent the first day pushing north to join Hooker but supply was short and both built a defense around Boonesboro as ammunition began to run out and it became clear there was to be no merger of forces to the north. Both sides were exhausted but the heavy loss of cavalry, artillery and supplies by Porter and Franklin were the deciding factors.
There was no direct communication between the Corps Commanders. We had no idea who the players were for at least the first year and there was no direct communication regarding the battle even after we did learn who was involved.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:34 pm 

Thanks, sounds like a great way to play it out.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."