American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:15 pm 

December 26, 1864 Monday
Hood and the Army of Tennessee began crossing the Tennessee River at Bainbridge, Tennessee. This virtually ended the campaign, although there was a skirmish at Sugar Creek, Tennessee. Otherwise activity was confined to scouting by the Federals in northern Virginia, and an expedition until Jan 1 against Indians in central Arizona Territory. President Lincoln writes to thank General William T. Sherman and "your whole army" for "your Christmas gift—the capture of Savannah [Georgia]." Lincoln confesses, "I was anxious, if not fearful" when he learned of Sherman's plan to take Savannah, "but feeling that you were the better judge, and remembering that 'nothing risked, nothing gained' I did not interfere." Lincoln concludes, "But what next? I suppose it will be safer if I leave Gen. [Ulysses S.] Grant and yourself to decide." President Lincoln gives Christmas reception at White House.

Blockade runner Chameleon, formerly the dread raider C.S.S. Tallahassee, under the command of Lieutenant Wilkinson, slipped out of Wilmington amid the confusion in the aftermath of the first attack on Fort Fisher. In Bermuda, Chameleon loaded badly needed foodstuffs for the Confederate armies, but by the time Wilkinson could get her back to Wilmington in January, the port had already fallen.

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:35 pm 

December 27, 1864 Tuesday
The Army of Tennessee completed crossing the Tennessee River at Bainbridge, Tennessee and headed toward Tupelo, Mississippi. Skirmishes broke out at Decatur, Alabama; and Okolona, Mississippi; while scouting continued around Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

Shortly after midnight a boat crew under the command of Acting Ensign N. A. Blume from U.S.S. Virginia, cut out schooner Belle in Galveston harbor with cargo of cotton. Belle was at anchor only some 400 yards from Confederate guard boat Lecompte when Blume's party boldly boarded and sailed her out of the harbor.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:51 pm 

December 28, 1864 Wednesday
Skirmishing near Decatur, Alabama and a fight at Egypt, Mississippi marked the winter day. In Washington President Lincoln asked Grant “what you now understand of the Wilmington expedition, present & prospective.” Grant replied that “The Wilmington expedition has proven a gross and culpable failure…. Who is to blame I hope will be known.”

U.S.S. Kanawha, commanded by Lieutenant Commander Taylor, forced an unidentified blockade running sloop ashore near Caney Creek, Texas, and destroyed her.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:36 pm 

December 29, 1864 Thursday
In the fading Franklin-Nashville Campaign light skirmishing occurred at Hillsborough and Pond Springs, Alabama. C.S.S. Shenandoah, commanded by Lieutenant Waddell, captured and destroyed bark Delphine in the Indian Ocean with cargo of rice. Delphine was Waddell's last capture of the year and ninth prize in eight weeks.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:20 pm 

December 30, 1864 Friday
The Wilmington fiasco was causing repercussions in Washington; at the Cabinet meeting President Lincoln indicated Butler would be removed from command of the Army of the James. Francis Preston Blair, Sr, powerful Maryland political figure, wrote President Davis that he wished to visit Richmond “to explain the views I entertain in reference to the state of the affairs of our Country.” Although this visit would be unofficial he indicated that he wanted to explore the possibilities of peace. There was skirmishing near Caruthersville, Missouri and Leighton, Alabama. Pierce Manning Butler Young, CSA, is appointed to Major General and James Phillip Simms, CSA, to Brigadier General.

Determined to take Wilmington and close the South's last important harbor but dissatisfied with General Butler's leadership, Rear Admiral Porter strongly urged the General's removal from command. General Grant wrote Porter: "Please hold on where you are for a few days and I will endeavor to be back again with an increased force and without the former commander." Ships of Porter's squadron kept up a steady bombardment of Fort Fisher to restrict the erection of new works and the repair of the damaged faces of the fort.

U.S.S. Rattler, commanded by Acting Master Willets, parted her cables in a heavy gale, ran ashore, struck a snag and sank in the Mississippi River near Grand Gulf. Willets, after salvaging most of Rattler's supplies and armament, was forced to abandon his small paddle-wheeler, which was subsequently burned by Confederates.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 am 

December 31, 1864 Saturday
The year came uneventfully to an end with skirmishing at Sharpsburg, Kentucky and affairs at Paint Rock Bridge and Russellville, Alabama. However, as usual, people everywhere were wondering about the future. U.S.S. Metacomet, commanded by Lieutenant Commander Jouett, captured schooner Sea Witch southeast of Galveston, Texas, with cargo of coffee and medicine.

VMI Class of '00

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25