American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:59 pm 

I'd acquired this book about 15 years ago, but I hadn't sat down to read it until recently (go figure).

I thought Horwitz had an interesting approach, exploring the views in various areas of the South regarding the War. From accompanying a hardcore reenactor on several marches and tours of various battlefields, to interviews with locals in the different cities he visited, he gave a detailed account of the mindset of many in the South towards the War. I think he showed beyond a shadow of a doubt 1) that the War is still being fought, even though there are not two armies in the field shooting at one another, 2) (to a degree) the bias that exists in the various viewpoints of the War, and 3) the way in which there has been created in some areas of the country a double-standard when it comes to positions such as "Is it hateful to fly the Confederate flag?" (for example, it's hateful to do that, but it's not in the least bit provocative to wear Malcolm X insignia -- or, vice-versa). There was definitely an indication that both sides have a long way to go towards trying to (and possibly even WANTING TO) understand one another.

He had a great deal of interesting tidbits in his writings, too - it's given me an idea for some vacations of my own one day with the family - to take them back East and tour many of the battlefields...hopefully before the sites are overrun with modern commercial and residential growth.

Has anybody else read this? I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:42 pm 

David,

I haven't read it but I've heard of it, now your description has peaked my interest.

By the way if you plan to visit some of the battlefields you may be interested in becoming a Civil War Trust member http://www.civilwar.org/ and help to save some of the ground from being over run.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 am 

Robert,

I think you'll like it. Depending on the subject, I'm not always "into" documentary-type writings like this one, but the writing style is so good you almost "forget" that it is what it is.

I might have to join that trust. Sickened me to find out that the Manassas and Chancellorsville battlefields (among others) are pretty much "gone" now, thanks to urban sprawl.

I definitely plan to go back and visit some places, though. As a kid, I made it to Vicksburg, Gettysburg, Atlanta/Stone Mtn, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, and Petersburg. Would LOVE to get to Chancellorsville, Manassas, Fredericksburg, Sharpsburg, and Shiloh, among others, and then go to Charleston to see the Hunley, and while on the coast go to Ft. Sumter (and Ft. Wagner if it's still there). As far as the 'interesting tidbit' list, I had no idea that Stonewall Jackson's arm is (allegedly) buried in a cemetery in Chancellorsville...and there were a few other items mentioned that made me go, "Hmmmmm....."

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters