American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:41 pm 

From HPS Shiloh, "Van Dorn Arrives"

For those who care, I heard this forum used to be full of descriptions of battles going on with club members suggesting strategies and being the peanut galley, for the old timers who miss them, here's one of mine.

Battle of Jackson; The battle I'm fighting is a what if, it assumes that A.S. Johnston decided to meet Grant at Jackson instead of Shiloh. The troops are the same as Shiloh, with the addition that Van Dorn will be coming up at some point, so the numbers will be roughly equal for the whole fight. My opponent is Gen. Pete Russo.

There is a large hill to the North of Jackson which is the dominant feature of the battlefield. I addition, the battlefield is bisected by an unfordable creek that runs from north to south near the base of the main hill (MH) at which point it turns more to the east.

There are quite a few bridges that cross the creek. 3 to the south of the MH, and 2 or 3 north of the same position. There is also a lower ridge that runs from the MH to the west. My left flank is anchored on another unfordable creek. I currently occupy the main hill and the east to west ridge. South East of the MH there is a valley that runs right towards Jackson, and another to the east of that.

My opponent has full use of the fords both above and below the MH, though I was able to check his first attempt to move towards Jackson from his bridgehead. Not much action, though his artillery is getting rather annoying, a skirmish is developing on the right. I did make a rookie mistake early in the fight, clicked on the end turn button without making my finale sweep of the field and left a battery insufficiently garrisoned which was swiftly overrun.

only about 700-800 men lost for the Confederates, mainly from artillery. Union has lost about 500-600.

Will keep all posted. Let the banter begin!

Forrest's Calvary Corps, Red Jackson's Division, 2nd Brigade (The Cavaliers) Commanding

Army of the West

Last edited by DChambers on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:36 pm 

Are you using the "Ask before advancing" feature in "Settings"?
J D Ferrry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:57 pm 

J. Ferry wrote:
Are you using the "Ask before advancing" feature in "Settings"?
J D Ferrry
LTC 2/20th Corps

The what? :?:

Forrest's Calvary Corps, Red Jackson's Division, 2nd Brigade (The Cavaliers) Commanding

Army of the West

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm 

:)
In the game you are playing, select "Settings" (up along the top there) and you will then see "Ask before advancing" If you check that, it will always ask you "are you SURE you want to do this" Say no, and it negates the advancement, even in an encrypted game.
Francois had a great play by play of an Overland scenario, but he did it in Pinkertons's Tent, where only his fellow Yankees were in on the plot.
J D Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 pm 

I really enjoyed Francois play by play of an Overland scenario - a good read and most informative

Brigade Commander
Alabama State Volunteers
Cleburne's Division
Hardee's Corps
(1/1/1)
Army of Tennessee

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 pm 

J. Ferry wrote:
:)
In the game you are playing, select "Settings" (up along the top there) and you will then see "Ask before advancing" If you check that, it will always ask you "are you SURE you want to do this" Say no, and it negates the advancement, even in an encrypted game.
Francois had a great play by play of an Overland scenario, but he did it in Pinkertons's Tent, where only his fellow Yankees were in on the plot.
J D Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps

Ahh, that would be helpful....

Army of the West

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 pm 

thank you Cam and John :wink:

I unfortunately can't access the MD Tavern with my main computer but have full access to the Union Army Forum. consequently, I don't have much time to spend here to post ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 am 

The skirmish on the right has heated up into a small battle, neither of us seeming to get an advantage. I can see men crossing the creek and heading in that direction, so I will cut my losses and pull back.

Right now the losses are about 3900 for the South, and I believe about 3200-3400 for the Union. I've taken down more infantry than he has, but I've had some losses from cavalry that amount to about 700. No action against the MH or the ridge aside from bombardment.

Minor Defeat for the South.... that won't do. There's still half the day left, let's see if we can't kill some more yanks....

Army of the West

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am 

Descriptions get confusing when right and left are used, because we don't know if it's your right or his, your left or his. It would help if you could use east and west, north and south otherwise. Thanks. Enjoying the thread.

V Corps/AOP/USA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm 

Also, screenshots are worth a thousand words.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:38 pm 

Overview of the main area of battle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102104509@N08/9790612904/

East Flank: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102104509@N08/9790547126/

Close up view of the East Flank, the valley of death and the East Woods: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3774/9790 ... bbd4_m.jpg

West Flank Cavalry Action: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102104509@N08/9790596436/

Army of the West

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:41 pm 

I need to find a way to take better screenshots, as of now they are kind of small and blurry....

Army of the West

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 pm 

All but one of the screenshots looks fine to me. The FARM4 was smallish.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Post subject: Battle of Jackson Tenn.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:49 am 

The East flank has rallied after being driven back through the East Woods, There atop Bowen's Hill, supported by the massed guns of several brigades, it prepares to make a final stand..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/102104509@N08/9800724304/

Along the Western Flank, the cavalry action was quite successful, I was able to ambush the vanguard of his cavalry probe and trap it against a creek. I would estimate he lost about 900 cavalry men in the action.

It is now a draw........

Dark is still a long time off.....

Army of the West

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 pm 

Private William Blake, Pond's Brigade, on the East Flank....

" We had been driven handily from the East Woods to Bowen's hill. We had been fighting for hours, the woods and fields were filled with the cries of the wounded and the smoke drifted across the fields in great white clouds.
On Bowen's Hill we found the artillery from several several brigades massed into a grand battery, I counted 20 guns in all just to our front. Breckenridge was there, riding to and fro along the lines steadying the men and rallying the shattered regiments. Near the bridge along the Jackson pike, our nearest line of retreat towards the town, another battery had been deployed, with the left most brigades preparing to hold the bridge to the last ditch. To the woods off to the right we could hear the steady rattle of gunfire moving slowly to a point behind our lines.

"Well James, it looks like we stumbled into hell," I said.
"Reckon your right Bill, we'll need Micheal himself to get out of this mess."

On came the Yankee formations in good order, they seemed to fill the whole earth in a blue wave. At about 200 yards out the battery fired and great holes appeared in their lines. But the wave simply returned like an ocean tide, moving ever towards us. At 50 yards the order was given to fire and the wave momentarily halted, then resolving to take our position or die trying the wave came on with a charge. A great bellow issued forth from their lines even as they spat fire from their rifles, 'huuurahhhh,' We met them with the Rebel Yell.

For half an hour they charged the hill, each time getting nearer our lines, finally they paused, gathered themselves up, and we could see this would be the final charge, they would swallow us whole this time.

We didn't get Michael after all. We got Cleburne instead. Just as the Yankees seemed that they would take our position, their fire slackened, men began to look this way and that. From off to the left came the howling of demons, but they were our demons. With rebel yells Cleburne's entire brigade came on into the yankee rear with the bayonet. We could see the general there on his little grey charger, waving his sword and urging his men onwards, from along the whole hill there arose a great cheering which likely will never be equaled on this world until the return of the Lord. The yankee wave recoiled in the opposite direction, back across the fields towards the woods, under the fire of our cannon....."

That Magnificent B*****d

Cleburn's Charge just as it's begining....http://www.flickr.com/photos/102104509@N08/9822261505/

It's the brigade in purple

Army of the West