American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 am 

Is there a forum or club for HPS Simulations Musket and Pike Series Renaissance.
I would like to know if there is a feature in the game to evade a cavalry charge.
Does anyone know or play this game? Is there anyone with a good understanding of the game system in this title? I would like to discuss it.
All the best
Frank.

Army of the Tennessee.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:53 pm 

You can get games going right here. Under OPPONENTS, there is a section for Unsanctioned Games.

We did have a Ren club, a while back, but it faded away mostly due to lack of volunteers to run it.

It did have a following, but nothing like the surviving clubs, the CCC, NWC and this one.

The games does feature ranged fire, melees, arty, etc, and follows the usual JTS/HPS interface.

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:12 am 

The newly formed Wargaming Society does have a Renaissance section and forum.
http://www.wargamingsociety.com/

"It's no use to stop and fight Longstreet. You can't whip him. It don't make any difference, whether he has one man or a hundred thousand."
--General Gordon Granger, 1864.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 am 

You'll find the best answers here, at Rich's HPS Forum:

http://hpssims.com.c7.previewyoursite.com/forums/

Better support than any current club or group can give you.

If your antivirus software says the site cannot be trusted, click to continue anyway, the site is fine. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:27 am 

In the M&P series cavalry functions more or less in the same way that it does in the NB series- as such, there is no way per se to evade a charge via a game function apart from anticipating where one will likely come from (sort of a low tech approach).

The M&P engine allows for coding melee bonuses (not limited to positive only mind you), and armour ratings (same deal ... you can rate something with a negative armor factor if you like) -so things can work a bit differently than in the NB series. One post-er over at Gamesquad was playing around with it awhile back -you can even add the ability to form block to a cavalry unit which effectively means it cannot initiate melee combat (naturally that was not done in REN -but it is something that you can do with it...).

Best recommendation would be to get hold of the notes.pdf file as it explains all of the relevant OOB file fields in M&P.

Rich White was the lead scenario designer for REN, and I think he is in this club (not sure) ... I know you can usually find him in all of the usual haunts most of us get to around the traps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:18 am 

Cheer's guys
I was hoping to try and do a Crusade medieval type scenario/game with this title I have the graphics but was wondering how the game engine would work with it.
So you comments or feedback would be welcomed.
Cheer's guys
Frank

Army of the Tennessee.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:30 am 

If it were me -what I would do would be to do an alternate install of REN, change over the weapons.dat to whatever you need, and then rate accordingly in the OOB files (mainly because the when doing the weapons' impact in the PDT is only really useful for fire combat, not melee combat).

Unlike CWB you can't use fractions in ratings it is only 10, 20, 30% etc... (or neg 10, 20, 30...) and that goes for any sort of modification that you decide to code. You are not really limited to the standard scale, distance or time-wise. I think you can do up to 4 lines, although in reality the ranks would be many times deeper than those even in some later periods... I guess in the end it sort of depends upon how big of a target for fire targets that you want to make things.

I sort of thought about this in relation to Roman battles, or even while watching a Neill Oliver documentary on Bannockburn -not that I am going to pursue anything like that (well who knows ... I sort of have my plate full now but it would be interesting to see how it might work).

One of the limitations that you are going to run in to is that while you can assign command per Army, Wing, Corps, Division, Brigade you can only actually assign command range ratings to Brigade and Division formations at this point (which is different from NB series where I think you can assign these to all of the command levels.). I think that maybe one of the interesting things that you might run into is how you divide up the commands -it is pretty open ended. You may even (if you decide to go smaller scale than default) make the actual unit designations a defacto set (in other words say something defined in the OOB is actually only about a company size )... the numbers of unit organisations are more of a hard limit (and keep in mind too that these designations are directly involved with leader replacements.

I don't actually know how it would work out (in other words I am not aware of any testing for mostly melee type scenarios) -it would be very interesting to see how that works.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:55 am 

Steve, you mention Roman Battles with that in mind how would the Roman Civil Wars game engine work would that work better for a Crusade type game?

Army of the Tennessee.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:01 am 

In the words of Lance Corporal Jones: "They don't like it up 'em!" To which I refer the sharp piece of steel. In P&S, it's the pike, so it gives a grand game of paper, scissors, stone...

I have the game, but haven't played it much. I'll give it a go if you want to.

regards

Mark Oakford
mark (under score) oakford (at) iprimus (dot) com (dot) au

Army of the Potomac.
http://campcromwell.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:23 am 

old banshee wrote:
Steve, you mention Roman Battles with that in mind how would the Roman Civil Wars game engine work would that work better for a Crusade type game?

That is one series that I haven't ever mastered (mastered might even be too generous of a term to describe my familiarity with it). It is not a Tiller engine. About all I know about it is that they are RTS not turn-based like the Tiller engines (well the ones that we are talking about here).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:57 pm 

Hey Mark,
I have the game also but have not played it. I got it with the sole purpose of creating a medieval crusader game.
I may struggle to get the game turns out.
All the best,
Frank

Army of the Tennessee.