American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AGEOD Civil War 2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:56 am 

While I wait for a Rebel officer to answer my call for an opponent in this great game I thought I would do a bit to showcase it for those of you that either haven't looked at it or looked and decided against it.

Here is a link to a video series of a campaign AAR on Youtube; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CljkmHLviC
Here is a link to a tutorial video series by the same person on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... l_1sAdqKD8
If you would rather read then watch and listen here is the link to the AAR forum on the AGEOD site; http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay ... 6-CW2-AARs

I hope the videos will give you a better look at this great game and either take the plunge or pull it out of the closet and give it another try. Currently the games is part of the Matrix Holiday Sale and you can get it for 25% off and the Bloody Roads South DLC for 50% off so now would be a great time to check it out and give it a try. Any of you Rebel officers wanting to give it a whirl see my post in the Opponents Wanted section. I've not played much but sure want to get back into it so it's not like I'm trying to take advantage of anyone's inexperience as I'm pretty much in the same boat myself!

Union Military Academy Instructor

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: AGEOD Civil War 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:10 pm 

I've started an AAR of my campaign so any of you Union officers who are interested can read it in the Pinkerton Tent at the Union HQ forums.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 pm 

thanks for posting those links.............I have the original of this title and I never could get the hang of it.

I plan on revisiting this game through your links.

thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:05 pm 

Guys, Matrix games has this as their Deal of the Week. If you were on the fence you can pick it up for $20 right now.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3799107

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 pm 

Yea had to buy it for that price, I think at -50% it's surely worth the money.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:56 pm 

A warning to those considering this game. If you buy this be prepared for a very frustrating time.

This is nothing like the BG or HPS games, the learning curve is ridiculously steep. I have played some board games in my time with complicated rules, have played TSS, Bloody April, A Gleam of Bayonets, Wellington's Victory, La Bataille de la Moscowa, War in the East and Drang Nach Osten and countless other so called monster games but none of them compare to this thing.

I have put about 30 hours playing time into CWII between the tutorials and actual playing and have yet to enjoy myself.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:51 pm 

krmiller wrote:
A warning to those considering this game. If you buy this be prepared for a very frustrating time.

This is nothing like the BG or HPS games, the learning curve is ridiculously steep. I have played some board games in my time with complicated rules, have played TSS, Bloody April, A Gleam of Bayonets, Wellington's Victory, La Bataille de la Moscowa, War in the East and Drang Nach Osten and countless other so called monster games but none of them compare to this thing.

I have put about 30 hours playing time into CWII between the tutorials and actual playing and have yet to enjoy myself.

I was frustrated with the first iteration of this title..............I just couldn't get into it.

I spent some time with it and just gave up...........btw...........I also played all those games you mentioned and then some.

I really liked La Bataille de la Moscowa and TSS........ just setting them up was fun.

I lost a good portion of my games in moving..............but I still have TSS, Bloody April, A Gleam of Bayonets and War in the East.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:31 am 

Strange, not sure where the frustration comes from, compared to the HPS/JTS it is rather easy to get into.
No complicated combat rules that have to be followed(think of all the modifiers in combat like low ammo, disruption, etc.), no huge PDT that has to be analyzed to know what is up in each scenario(like what movement cost each terrain has to get a clue where and how to move or the weapons data to know what is useful at what ranges), and than the "paperwork" like command check, moral trigger check, moral test, rout recovery, etc.
To be honest besiedes the high-end simulations of the late 90/early 2000's like Apache 2 or Falcon 3.0 that came close to flying the real crates(as these simulations were surely not less complicated), I think HPS/JTS are the most complicated games I play.

The first AGEOD CW title had hooked me very fast and that alone by screenshoots & videos as it was simply lovely designed.
And it's not only the graphic but also the music, these a short versions of tracks from the "2nd South Carolina String Band".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3IJ05Q ... H2uv0cCtOQ

Frustrating can only be the AI, at that time it wasn't so good but it got better over time and surely is a lot better in this 2nd title, but in the end there is simply nothing better than a human opponent.

In the end it may run down to the difference between old school wargames(that seem rather like boardgames played on a PC) and modern wargames that strife to get closer to realty by simply abandoning the old borders of wargames like hexes, turns, etc..
AGEOD goes a bit into the direction of modern wargames by using simultaneous movement and orders rather than allowing the player to do it all by himself, that may be the point were the HPS/JTS veteran has to get used to.

I suggest to keep trying and discuss what problems you have with this title, either here or on the AGEOD forum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 am 

The game isn't difficult to play but it is difficult to know what you are suppose to be doing. The documentation tells you the mechanics of selecting forces and moving them but give you little information on the effects of the huge number of decisions you can make regarding the economy and raising troops. Which does leave the player wondering whether he is suppose to be investing in regions, railroads, telegraph, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:52 am 

exactly............I never could get a feeling if what I was doing was what I was suppose to be doing.

also..............another thing that pissed me off about some of these game companies is how they release the game.

They re release it as a new title...version 2............same game only............ they fixed it.

So the gamer ends up paying double.

imagine if John Tiller did that.................lol............I would be broke.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:38 am 

dukemat wrote:
imagine if John Tiller did that.................lol............I would be broke.

I play almost exclusively HPS/JTS games...

I have to say by the way that with JT games the player does pay for the updates and keeps playing with the same engine. The only difference is that we get a new campaign... :wink:

Brittany Volunteers,
Army of the Cumberland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:16 pm 

Exactly, unlike JTS/HPS were we can be glad to get a new feature at all CW2 evolved a lot, not only the map got bigger but things like "Regional Decisions" were added that gives the game another layer in depth.

Not sure what the problem is with deciding if a decision is worth the investment or not.
Do I form new units and were do I do it? It's your job to decide it.
Do I make a regional decision, what and were will it be? It's your job to decide it.
Basically you are supposed to be winning the war. :mrgreen:

Again unlike HPS/JTS were the battles are often setup and you only have to engage and make it work, here in CW2 you have to make major decisions like what composition should my army have, were do place it, do I split it to cover some area like the Shenandoah Valley, do I pull off the Peninsular attack, do I attack along the coast and grab some Forts, etc., all this is a lot more than what I do in HPS/JTS but still if you do the whole war it's not really that much.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:00 pm 

That's the thing of AGEOD's game, you get the play the part of the Union or Confederate leadership, deciding where to spend the money and resources to further your war effort. Do you increase the rail capacity or riverine forces, recruit more expensive regular forces or get more men but in poorer militia units, get cavalry or artillery, etc. Do you spend some of your political good will demoting McClellan or Bragg to appoint less senior but more capable generals. These and other questions are what face you. I love the HPS/JTS games but after when it's said and done they are basically given you the forces present at a battle and the map it happened on and letting you try and change the history of that battle or campaign.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 am 

C. Hecht wrote:
Exactly, unlike JTS/HPS were we can be glad to get a new feature at all CW2 evolved a lot, not only the map got bigger but things like "Regional Decisions" were added that gives the game another layer in depth.

Not sure what the problem is with deciding if a decision is worth the investment or not.
Do I form new units and were do I do it? It's your job to decide it.
Do I make a regional decision, what and were will it be? It's your job to decide it.
Basically you are supposed to be winning the war. :mrgreen:

Again unlike HPS/JTS were the battles are often setup and you only have to engage and make it work, here in CW2 you have to make major decisions like what composition should my army have, were do place it, do I split it to cover some area like the Shenandoah Valley, do I pull off the Peninsular attack, do I attack along the coast and grab some Forts, etc., all this is a lot more than what I do in HPS/JTS but still if you do the whole war it's not really that much.

The problem for beginners is they are faced with all these decisions and no information on their effect. The "regional decisions" are a good example. Should you spend you limited resources on building telegraph lines? Who knows? There is absolutely no way to test the results since its effect is lost in the hundreds of other decisions you make. The game is much to long to find out by playing one building telegraph lines all over the place and then another without. This lack of information on the effect of investing resources makes all these extra decisions to be made by the beginner just game clutter and gives the game the appearance of complexity where there really isn't. You can play the game with probably little sacrifice ignoring most of these choices.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:19 pm 

Well specifically for the Telegraph line, it raises development that is the Civilization Level and the number in the bracket behind it, you can see this on the tooltip when setting the cursor on a region.
It has direct and indirect influence:
Direct, it reduces cohesion loss when moving through the region and improves foraging.
Indirectly, it allows building tracks then roads.

The later will be important if the Traffic rule is final, not sure how far they are with that but the latest Patch has already something for traffic in the options menu.