American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 am 

In my shifting of quality of Union army I wasn't really trying for any kind of historical accuracy. I just wanted to exploit the existing game handling of quality and morale. The lowering of quality increases the average bonus in combat for the ANV. The current 10% for a quality advantage isn't enough to reflect the relative combat capacity of the two armies. The other is taking advantage of the route and disrupt rules to force the Union player to deploy his legions on a shorter front than the ANV. If they try to stretch the Rebel line by thinning their line to much they won't have the depth to stop a sudden attack.

Another thing I didn't look into but might have help restrict the Union frontage is command ranges. They are very large in these scenarios. But they also affect both sides so I am not sure shortening them will help.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:26 am 

You can change command ranges of either side individually, in the pdt.
J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 pm 

Here is a novel suggestion. Fight these battles only in 3d and set a time limit for your turns at the start of play. Now you can start and stop and save the battle anytime during your move but you must not go over the time limit for your turn that you agreed at the start of play.
This will lead to some really disastrous turns where you forget to move a unit when it really needed to be moved.
You will not be in total control of the battle and the side with the most units will find it harder more so as the battle develops and more troops enter the battle.
This may even out the rebs lack of numbers.
This is only a suggestion and I would welcome your comments on the merits and pitfalls of this suggestion.
Frank

Army of the Tennessee.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:48 pm 

I love the 3d suggestion.
Not so much the time limit.

I have periodically played turns sporadically throughout some battles in only the 3d view and may I say it is a good impediment to effective command and control for large scale battles.
It gets really easy to "lose" ones self on the map.

My question is can the 3d view be "locked" on that for a battle, or would one have to be honorable in one's word?

The Bucktails

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 pm 

Fighting in 3D only is a good idea, and should go some distance in leveling the playing field. It would be honor-bound only. There is no way that I know of to lock it in 3D
John Ferry
Overland co-designer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:40 am 

old banshee wrote:
Here is a novel suggestion. Fight these battles only in 3d and set a time limit for your turns at the start of play. Now you can start and stop and save the battle anytime during your move but you must not go over the time limit for your turn that you agreed at the start of play.
This will lead to some really disastrous turns where you forget to move a unit when it really needed to be moved.
You will not be in total control of the battle and the side with the most units will find it harder more so as the battle develops and more troops enter the battle.
This may even out the rebs lack of numbers.
This is only a suggestion and I would welcome your comments on the merits and pitfalls of this suggestion.
Frank

Then there is always the Hooker rule that was recommended in "The General" many years ago to help balance Chancellorsville. It was easier to implement on a board game since both players were face to face but you could use it on a hot seat game.

Rule: While Union player is sitting the Confederate player gets to hit him upside the head with a two by four. The Union player then has to finish the game without seeking medical attention.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:16 am 

:lol:

ACWGC Records Site Admin

"If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:04 am 

I have to admit, that is pretty darned funny. It could work for PBEM also. For instance, I have a brother in law who says he will travel up to 500 miles to hit somebody upside the head for me. He works out of Vegas.
:P
John Ferry
LTC 2/20th Corps