American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:51 pm 

what is the most popular titles of the HPS Campaign games with the ACWGC members?
i am not so much interested in "what is your favorite" but i am looking for "what do you think overall the club membership plays the most".
i would like to know if you could put that into a list with most popular 1st and least last,etc.
i purchased almost 10 years ago Corinth as my 1st title since no other game company covered Corinth and i wanted to learn about that campaign. i played a couple battles and moved on to Gettysburg but i have recently started playing some of the Corinth ones.
i then purchased Gettysburg which i now cannot locate what happened to it(i have a clue that some Union spy stole it). i played about 6 or 7 battles of that before it disappeared.
funding for the purchase of new ones is low for me right now but when i have the funding i would like to purchase the most popular ones so have the best chance to find opponents and also play MP battles.
i am interested in Chickamauga since it me it seems to be the most balanced of any of the campaigns.
i am looking forward to your comments.

Confederate States of America

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:43 am 

Are you trying for lists based on the Campaign Game itself or the scenarios played within the particular Campaign Game? Why I ask the distinction is in some HPS Campaign Game series I do play the campaigns but rarely. They are usually much to long and involve to many small scenarios that are time wasters. On the other hand some scenarios are played over and over again. These tend to be the historic scenarios on major battles like Gettysburg, Antietam, and First Bull Run. Others are rarely played either because they are uninteresting, unbalanced or perceived to be unbalanced by one side. Example of the last is Chickamauga. One of the few balanced scenarios but you will have difficulty getting a Yankee to fight it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:35 pm 

The nice thing about Campaign Chickamauga is that it includes Perryville and Murfreesboro as well as Chickamauga and Chattanooga. These are really all the major battles fought by the AoT before the historical odds became prohibitive.

Some of the other HPS games include multiple major battles as well. But I don't know what the order of popularity is. I seem to recall Ozark wasn't too popular. I like it though.

If I was recommending, I would say go with Chickamauga. Hopefully you will get enough other responses to make an informed decision.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:26 pm 

i really was not making a distinction between the campaigns and the shorter scenarios but i really like the full campaigns since every battle can be quite different than playing just battles. i do not mind long turns or lengthy battles.
i am interested in having as large of a pool of Officers as possible to play against so this info from given is helpful.
i also have an interest in MP battles so again the more commonly played ones are the ones most likely to be selected as a MP battle.

Confederate States of America

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:51 pm 

Awhile back I checked the registered games and made a table too see what game is played the most and Gettysburg leads clearly followed by Antietam and Chickamauga, so you can very well go for Chickamauga if your interested in it.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:22 pm 

I have a personal affinity for Overland Campaign. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:43 pm 

I think that Chickamagua is also really good, with a lot of interesting battles and scenarios. I have played the Battle of Chickamagua three times, including once as the Union, and think it is a lot of fun.

I do like Overland too. And Peninsula, and Gettysburg, and Chancerlorsville...and Corinth...