ACWGC
* ACWGC     * Dpt. of Records       * CSA HQ    * VMI    * Join CSA    
   * Union HQ    * UMA    * Join Union     ACWGC Memorial
CSA Armies:    ANV    AotW
Union Armies:    AotT     AotC      AotP      AotS     Union Army Forums
     Link Express
American Civil War Books, Magazines and Games for sale (See other items)
Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 431
Location: In the saddle
has anyone ever heard from Tim Miller.

I had a few games going with Tim as a partner.

He stopped responding some months ago.........no reason......just stopped emailing.

_________________
Lt. Gen. C. N. Matthews
Pickett's Infantry Division, I Corps,
Army of Northern Virginia, CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:52 am
Posts: 1667
Location:
I too have been worried/wondering about Tim. Have not heard from him since Spring. Hopefully he just had a rapid deployment or something and wasn't able to give notice. Especially with the weather SC has had....

_________________
General Scott Ludwig
Commanding Officer & Chief of the Armies (CoA) of the Confederate States of America (CSA)

Image


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 431
Location: In the saddle
What is the club's fall back position when we are missing a member?

I remember posting a request years ago that members provide a secondary email that could be used to contact under extraordinary circumstances.

A next of kin contact that could only be used by the President of the Club after a lengthy amount of time.

Speaking for myself, I think it would be welcome addition.

_________________
Lt. Gen. C. N. Matthews
Pickett's Infantry Division, I Corps,
Army of Northern Virginia, CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 431
Location: In the saddle
Scott Ludwig wrote:
I too have been worried/wondering about Tim. Have not heard from him since Spring. Hopefully he just had a rapid deployment or something and wasn't able to give notice. Especially with the weather SC has had....


I tried every way possible to reach Tim. At first he said he would respond and continue, but he never really did. We had no issues in our games that we were playing. His lack of interest came out of the blue.
I tried contacting his wife through Facebook with a message. but she never responded. I could not "friend" her because she has that function shut off.

His wife seems ok, she post regularly on Facebook.

Hopefully everything is ok with Tim.

_________________
Lt. Gen. C. N. Matthews
Pickett's Infantry Division, I Corps,
Army of Northern Virginia, CSA


Last edited by dukemat on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:17 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Indiana, US
dukemat wrote:
What is the club's fall back position when we are missing a member?

I remember posting a request years ago that members provide a secondary email that could be used to contact under extraordinary circumstances.

A next of kin contact that could only be used by the President of the Club after a lengthy amount of time.

Speaking for myself, I think it would be welcome addition.



I agree with you sir. Last year I had a health event that took me immediately out of circulation and no one else in the family really knew anything about the ACWGC or that contact was in order. I am not opposed to secondary contact info for Admin use.

_________________
Brig. Gen. R. Sickbert
Second Division / Fifth Army Corps
Army of the Potomac
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 4:51 pm
Posts: 2795
Location: Massachusetts, USA
It is fairly rare for someone to just disappear, but it does happen and it is disconcerting. There are so may variables in RL, that there is no way that members do not get concerned about an opponent. Many of us have played the same opponent for years.

The first issue is within the chain of command, from division up to the AC's, to determine IF there are reasons for the absence that they might be aware of. In this particular case, there is NO indication in the DOR of him being placed on a leave of absence or placed in the "hospital".

This needs to be brought up to the ANV AC and we will go from there. Perhaps Gen Miller should be placed in the "hospital" or given a LOA, as he is a long time member.

We should give members the benefit of the doubt that circumstances keep them away and not able or (sometimes) willing to answer emails.

Our system allows for several months of no contact to keep the member on the rolls and continue in his unit, etc.

OTOH, if an opponent has just disappeared and is not playing the game, then the other player MAY end the game with a major Victory (Club rules: 5.1.8.2 If one player leaves the Club, becomes inactive, or simply stops responding for weeks at a time, the remaining player may treat the game as a Major Victory. It is normal protocol to first check with the superior officers of the opponent before declaring this type of victory.). Many players would rather wait.

As for requesting an additional email address from all members has some merit, but I am not sure it is needed, for the most part.

_________________
General Ernie Sands
President ACWGC -Sept 2015
Western Theater, Commander, USA
Image
Image
ACWGC Records Site Admin


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 431
Location: In the saddle
Ernie Sands wrote:
It is fairly rare for someone to just disappear, but it does happen and it is disconcerting. There are so may variables in RL, that there is no way that members do not get concerned about an opponent. Many of us have played the same opponent for years.

The first issue is within the chain of command, from division up to the AC's, to determine IF there are reasons for the absence that they might be aware of. In this particular case, there is NO indication in the DOR of him being placed on a leave of absence or placed in the "hospital".

This needs to be brought up to the ANV AC and we will go from there. Perhaps Gen Miller should be placed in the "hospital" or given a LOA, as he is a long time member.

We should give members the benefit of the doubt that circumstances keep them away and not able or (sometimes) willing to answer emails.

Our system allows for several months of no contact to keep the member on the rolls and continue in his unit, etc.

OTOH, if an opponent has just disappeared and is not playing the game, then the other player MAY end the game with a major Victory (Club rules: 5.1.8.2 If one player leaves the Club, becomes inactive, or simply stops responding for weeks at a time, the remaining player may treat the game as a Major Victory. It is normal protocol to first check with the superior officers of the opponent before declaring this type of victory.). Many players would rather wait.

As for requesting an additional email address from all members has some merit, but I am not sure it is needed, for the most part.

In this particular instance with Tim, we moved on without him.
He was my partner in a few ongoing games (along with other guys who were his partner).
I was able to add guys from my small circle of friends to continue existing games in the same format (multi player).
One multi battle we ended as a draw because we had only played a handful of turns.

With respect to my call for a "next of kin" email.
I thought it was good idea.
I stand corrected.

_________________
Lt. Gen. C. N. Matthews
Pickett's Infantry Division, I Corps,
Army of Northern Virginia, CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm
Posts: 528
How about a snail mail address in contact info?
John Ferry


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 4:51 pm
Posts: 2795
Location: Massachusetts, USA
dukemat wrote:

With respect to my call for a "next of kin" email.
I thought it was good idea.
I stand corrected.


It is not a bad idea, but probably would be little used.

It is something to consider.

I think that SNAIL mail is getting quite personal and I do not think that is a good idea.

_________________
General Ernie Sands
President ACWGC -Sept 2015
Western Theater, Commander, USA
Image
Image
ACWGC Records Site Admin


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:29 am
Posts: 489
Location: South Africa
I am afraid I cannot add much - his last muster was in March 2015. I have had no response to follow-ups since then. I guess we must assume RL has intervened.

_________________
General Stewart Stiles
Image Image
Army of Northern Virginia
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 431
Location: In the saddle
sstiles wrote:
I am afraid I cannot add much - his last muster was in March 2015. I have had no response to follow-ups since then. I guess we must assume RL has intervened.

It does seem that way.......oh well.

_________________
Lt. Gen. C. N. Matthews
Pickett's Infantry Division, I Corps,
Army of Northern Virginia, CSA


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:49 am
Posts: 391
Location: USA
What the heck does "OTOH" stand for? Or "RL"? . . . ????

_________________
Your Obedient Servant,
Lt Gen Dwight McBride
Ist Division/1st Brigade
V Corps/AOP/USA


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tim Miller
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 4:51 pm
Posts: 2795
Location: Massachusetts, USA
OTOH= On The Other Hand

RL= Real Life

_________________
General Ernie Sands
President ACWGC -Sept 2015
Western Theater, Commander, USA
Image
Image
ACWGC Records Site Admin


Top
 Profile Send private message E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: