American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:26 am 

Interesting John, when will we see that...

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:28 pm 

is there a Jackson lives for Gettysburg?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:19 am 

There were 2 such mods for the old BG Gettysburg, Jackson at Gettysburg and The Stonewall at Gettysburg. Neither of these has been ported to the HPS Gettysburg game due to the inability to use modified OOB's. With the release of version 2.0 this is no longer a problem however we now run into a new problem. The old BG games will not run on Win 7 or later machines and the new Matrix versions do not allow the ACWCO Launcher to work and the Matrix created game engine will only recognize the stock folders so you cannot use new folders to create new scenarios which means no non stock OOB's since each folder can only have 1 OOB. While checking this out I also discovered the Matrix Scenario Editor requires the game CD to be inserted, this was easily fixed since I still have an old Game CD with all my titles on it but once again the engine does not allow you to access anything other than the stock folders.

An HPS port would be a relatively easy creation since you would already have OOB's which could be modified to HPS version and arrival times and locations, you can modify one of the stock pdt's but you will need to have the scenario open to find the arrival locations and times so this will require an XP machine to check out the scenario in the BG game then create the scenario in the HPS Editor.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 am 

Have just completed the detailed OOB for Brice's Crossroads. Used several Civil War websites to verify data and the .OOB files from other Campaign series for the leaders and units. The map will be the next project. Hoping to have the full detailed scenario finish before months end.

Does anyone know a good location to post the files once the scenarios are complete? I don't believe the Forum offers that feature to post the files as a .zip download.

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:58 am 

Email them to me: eric2900@aol.com and I'll put them up on the club site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:44 am 

@D. Hampel
I guess the OOB wasn't so hard in terms of units, officers & numbers, but how did you decide on moral values and weapons?

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:39 pm 

There are still 3 ACW titles in production, so there will be no official JTS support of third party work overlapping those things. I'm not going to derail the guys who have put in time to make an official game so that mods can be completed.

Its always been our policy that maps are off limits...and in this series OOB's have been as well - simply for the fact that it undermines future titles. With the next round of updates OOB's will be unlocked, but not maps.

So, I respectfully request that you contain your efforts to the parameters we have set - and have respect for the guys who are putting in the time to create the new content - Rich Walker - John Ferry - Doug Strickler. One day it will all be done and you can do what ever you like...until that time we appreciate your patience.

If you have questions drop me a line at Support@johntillersoftware.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:40 am 

C. Hecht wrote:
@D. Hampel
I guess the OOB wasn't so hard in terms of units, officers & numbers, but how did you decide on moral values and weapons?

Col. Hecht,

The weapons and quality ratings for the units were based off of those units from prior OOB files. As these units were already listed in the Franklin, Atlanta and Vicksburg files, the same ratings and weapons were applied. In addition, the leader ratings and images were used from the other files as well. This ensures the OOB file matches the prior data with no conflicting information.

@ Rich, you've really stuck my curiosity as to what final 3 titles would be released. I'm assuming they are:
-Petersburg Campaign (Appomattox Court House surrender)
-Jackson's/Shenandoah Valley Campaign
-Final Release of all campaigns combined into a single package (Grand Finale!)

John Ferry, you mentioned you added the Brice's Crossroads to the Overland campaign. Did you create a custom map for this or just use a sub-map from Overland to simulate the scenario? Just curious to what detail it was created. If you would like to review the data and files we have created, please let me know and I will forward them to you.

In all do respect, to Rich Walker - John Ferry - Doug Strickler, we would not want to undermine your efforts in new title releases by releasing custom scenario mods that are in conflict with your projects. If a desired scenario was missed from a prior campaign release, we will check with you to see if it's OK to generate and offer it to you to add to any of the prior titles updates.

I still think Brice's Crossroads would be an appropriate scenario update to either the Franklin or Atlanta titles. If it's added to OVERLAND it would seem to be out of place. Don't you agree?

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:25 pm 

If any custom scenarios would overlap with games that are WIP the request is obviously absolutely justified.
But if scenarios could be done that do not overlap with any future game but would/should have been part of an already existing titles, in that case I recommend to take the chance to bring these scenarios out officially.
There are some titles that added scenarios over time and not even in an official patch, Waterloo comes to my mind were a separate scenario pack exists.
I just think it is obviously that adding new content to older titles can only benefit sales and by that the original designers of those titles, and the series, and JTS, etc..

Only thing that would have to be done is a quality check to make sure the scenario would meet the quality standards, easiest way is to use any of the existing clubs, and if the scenario passes the check it could be made available with a future patch.
Overall except for overseeing the quality check there wouldn't even be the need for any support by JTS so not extra workload for Rich, John and other officials, such a scenario would simply be done by the people for the people.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:23 pm 

D. Hampel wrote:

@ Rich, you've really stuck my curiosity as to what final 3 titles would be released. I'm assuming they are:
-Petersburg Campaign (Appomattox Court House surrender)
-Jackson's/Shenandoah Valley Campaign
-Final Release of all campaigns combined into a single package (Grand Finale!)

No? How about:

* Campaign Petersburg (including Appomattox)
* Valley Campaigns ('62 & '64)
* Red River Campaign (including other misc battles west of the Mississippi)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:46 am 

Berto,

Considering you are a programmer for Matrix games, do you work on the Battleground CW series at all? Do you assist or support the HPS/JTS teams?

I looked into the * Red River Campaign (including other misc battles west of the Mississippi) history and there doesn't look to be enough there to make a title campaign release.

In all the mentioned replies I don't see where Brice's Crossroads would have been part of an active development project nor did it look to be part of a scheduled update release.

I believe the suggestions by Col. Hecht and Joe Meyer make the most sense, that an open forum dialog be created to provide feedback to JTS Support of user desired updates and changes. Currently I feel that many users feel they are on a non-supported software due to time and budgetary issues. With little to no support in site the users are looking at "Plan B" options they have available at thier own exposure. Waiting years for possible title releases with no software support leaves many users feeling adrift.

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:15 am 

@ D. Hampel: PM sent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:18 am 

D. Hampel wrote:
Berto,

I looked into the * Red River Campaign (including other misc battles west of the Mississippi) history and there doesn't look to be enough there to make a title campaign release.

I think you are mistaken. No big battles, sure, but lots of smaller engagements, such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Westport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mine_Creek

Anyway, with a bit of rebranding, the last "grab bag" title could cover smaller battles east of the MIssissippi also, such as Port Hudson.

It would be a shame if these "smaller engagements" were to be overlooked. IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:51 am 

Berto,

Good point. Things like Brice's Crossroads would be a good filler for that final Western campaign series. No major battle but several small battles making up the title. It could cover everything around the Mississippi river and westward.... ~1864 onward.

What do you think about adding the unit supply level to the OOB file? Do you think that would be a major program task? I know a database update would be needed to run a quick file conversion from the existing files to account for the new data field (like making a quick MS Access query to convert the files for a new update release). Just curious what your thoughts are on a discussed change like that.

Sorry for the multiple PM's. They were stuck in the Outbox and I tried to send it a couple times and it final showed later as sent but distributed 3 times. :(

Army of the Tennessee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:47 pm 

D. Hampel wrote:
Sorry for the multiple PM's. They were stuck in the Outbox and I tried to send it a couple times and it final showed later as sent but distributed 3 times. :(

AFAIK the PMs will stay in the outbox as long as the receiver didn't open them, only after that they will disappear from the outbox.