American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:21 pm 

1 - Why is night time fatigue inflicted upon units that move in the first dawn turn? The first dawn turn does not include any night time, and the fatigue isn't imposed upon units moving in the second or third dawn turn. A mistake or a logical reason?

2 - When using the Alt key to move a cavalry unit numerous hexes, why doesn't the cavalry unit stop before entering a ZOC of an opposing unit? Cavalry automatically have skirmishers deployed so the skirmishers would have made contact with the opposing unit prior to the main body arriving. A mistake or a programming nightmare?

3 - Cavalry skirmishers supposedly cover the six hexes to the front that would include the three ZOC hexes plus extending them one more hex. However, cavalry skirmishers do not always detect units in the extended hexes except for the one straight ahead. Is that a mistake, a programming nightmare, or cavalry skirmishers are designed to cover only four hexes (the three in the ZOC and the center hex extended outward one hex) and I haven't learned that yet?

VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:06 pm 

Ned I've been requesting the fatigue issue be fixed for years and told it's a programming issue.

I try to never use the alt key when moving advanced cavalry because of this situation.

To my knowledge cavalry skirmishers only alert when they facing opponents. Not from the rear. Also once an opponent moves adjacent to your cavalry unit it loses the skirmisher ability for those trying to encircle you-I believe.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:11 pm 

I'll continue with some more cavalry puzzles (for me).

4 - Why does a cavalry artillery unit limber up and have a movement value of 21 but a dismounted cavalry unit can mount up and only have a movement value of 12? I would think that it would be more difficult for the artillery battery to get going than individuals on horseback.

5 - Why does a dismounted cavalry unit mount up and retain a movement factor of 12 but yet a disrupted dismounted cavalry unit mounts up and gets cut from a movement factor of 9 down to 6? Even a disrupted infantry unit in line formation can outrun them off a road. Maybe the disrupted guys are running around and having a hard time finding their horses?

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:23 pm 

Ned these are built in factors that cannot be changed. My learned no-no: do not mount a disrupted cavalry unit while facing a mounted opponent. You get 0 movement. Back out while dismounted first, then mount if a road is available, otherwise call for Buford.

Army of the Tennessee
S = √ 30 x d x f + - e

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:04 pm 

Not sure how you had cavalry skirmishers not seeing enemy units to the right and left hexes. If it happens gain you should save the file and send it to JTS Support. I ran tests when putting together the update for the manuals and verified that both infantry and cavalry skirmishers see directly forward 2 hexes as well as the hex to the right and left of the forward hex.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 am 

Indeed, that is how I always saw it, if not it's surely a bug

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:40 pm 

As long as I can remember, through several different computers, all of the HPS/JTS campaigns, and all of the updates; a cavalry unit in column moving down a road hex by hex (not using the alt key to move multiple hexes although that has its own problems) has run into an opposing unit sight unseen when taking curves. The opponent is in a hex where skirmishers should have spotted them but didn't. If I am in a situation where it is vital that I know if a unit is around that curve, I have to use movement points to change the facing of my unit in that direction (so that the hex is straight ahead, not off to the side by one hex). I can't say that I have encountered this in a situation other than moving on a road. It is commonplace in my games, so if you guys haven't experienced it, then count your blessings and toss some of those blessings my way.

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:32 pm 

One limitation is that cavalry skirmishers can't see across a creek unless there is a bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:07 pm 

Another question: Although certainly able to take them under fire, why should units be able to exert a ZOC into hexes to which they cannot move, such as across a creek hex side. Not a major issue, but this seems inconsistent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 am 

Ned,
Have I run into enemy units with cavalry going down a road through woods, yes.
Has it occurred in hexes I should have been able to see, no it happened because it was a curve and the enemy unit was not in the skirmisher control hexes.
As I said if this occurs again it is a bug and you should send the file to JTS Support so it can be looked at.
I would suggest saving the file under a different name and sending both that file and the original one you started the turn with so they could try to duplicate it.

Mike,
Seems the docs do not note that skirmishers do not extend across a creek except at fords/bridges.
I also discovered they do not indicate that mounted cavalry is not subject to the requirement of a certain number of men.
I will add both in the next update, and no I have no idea when that will come out.

Robert,
You are correct about ZOC extending across a creek, that is the way it has been as long as I can recall.
Don't know if anyone has ever complained to JTS Support about it but I don't recall any discussions of it at the Tiller Con ACW roundtables I attended.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP