American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: seeing the Oliphant
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:18 pm 

Evening,

Damnyankee looking for first match. Have Corinth, Ozarks, and BGG Gettysburg loaded. Prefer small/medium scenario to start.

Regards,

1st Lieutenant Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:21 pm 

Well, I knew the Rebs' equipment was outdated, but I didn't realize it was so to the extent of using <u>oliphants</u>. [:D]

Gen. Walter, USA
2/VIII AoS
Commandant, Union Army War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:32 am 
General Walter Sir!... Don't you know what an "Oliphant" is? It's one of those big leathery skinned animals with a long trunk, usually carry ing a six or eight ponder, maybe even a 12 pound piece on it's back. When they kneel and their gunners get going, (out of range of the reb's squirrel guns) they can raise all kinds of hell with the opposition. I'm sure Lt. Driscoll is aware of our secret weapon. Where HAS the War College been? Here all along I thought it was you gentelmen in the College that inported them from India....

Respectfully Sir!

BG B.G.Schlueter, VI/AoS

B.G.Schlueter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:51 am 

Matter of fact I happened to believe that an Oliphant was a sort of trumpet used by the Carthaginian army to scare away their enemies ... but maybe that was just a cover story. [:D]

Gen. Walter, USA
2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:09 am 
You could look it up Sir!.. There is no "Oliphant" in the Random House Dictionery", maybe you have Webster's? In any case my "Oliphants" did carry pieces in India just about the time of our "War Between the States". Take a look at the movie "Gunga Din" the next time, if it does play on your German TV Channels.

Respectfully

BG B.G.Schlueter, VI/AoS

B.G.Schlueter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:24 am 

General, according to my - German - encyclopedia an oliphant - I am afraid it's probably medieval Latin or French - is a horn, or bugle, made from the horn of an elephant - there you go - and used for signals in battle. It also says there are about 75 original ones left of which the majority is Islamic while the minority Byzantine.

So we all learned something today. [8D]

Gen. Walter, USA
2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:25 am 

In any case, I am still surprised that Lt. Driscoll expects the Rebel army to have one of those. [:D]

Gen. Walter, USA
2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:27 am 
General Sir!

I presume I must defer to superior knowledge -- You can't go wrong with a German enclopedia. Especially about Islamic history. Since you people are so reluctant to give the USA any help with the infidels (from the christian point of view) You people seem to forget that the USA Destroyed your country (Along with the British) until you learned it isn't the best thing to do to start something you couldn't finish.It could be we did the same thing with Iraq. I hate to bring this up in the club which is non-partisan, and will never do it again,(i'll probably be banned fromm the board) but you people should remeber who it was that resurected the German Nation (and the French, and the Poles, and the whole European Continent, Even those horses asses, the Russians) Enough Said.

Respectfully Sir!

BG B.G.Schlueter, VI/AoS

B.G.Schlueter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:15 pm 

Evening,

I figured people would catch on real quick. I was refering to "Seeing the Elephant" but took license with the spelling(I'm a fan of Sam Gamgee[8D]) . I said I was looking for my first battle -thus the phrase 'seeing the elephant' which refered to unblooded troops in the Civil War fighting for the first time.[:D] Anyone familar with SPI's Great Battles of the Civil War should recognise the rule. [:p]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:30 am 

*clapclapclap*

Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant. You managed to go from one discussion, and just because Dierk is German, and thus turns first to a German dictionary and turn it into an assault on the German people.

Fine, the nation of Germany, and by and large the German people don't agree with our policy the last couple of years. Can't argue with that. But the US isn't the only country on earth, and part of the nature of having many states is that they bring their own perspective, and look out for their own interests.

Now, if someone on this board were black, and in an unrelated post said something that showed they were black, people wouldn't dream of then going into a rant on how terrible the blacks are. So why do Germans (or Frenchmen for that matter) get that treatment?

Lt Col. Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:17 am 
Gentlemen,
Besides completely throwing off the subject, did anyone offer Lt. Driscoll a battle? After all, this is the PBEM Opponent finder, not the Tavern or Insult board for that matter.
Good luck Lt. Driscoll and if my schedule wasn't full, I'd be happy to show you the stomping grounds of the Elephant.

Respectfully,
MajGen(bvt) Kevin Payne
"Mounted Scouts"
3rd Cav Div/II Corps/AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:48 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Payne</i>
<br />Gentlemen,
Besides completely throwing off the subject, did anyone offer Lt. Driscoll a battle? After all, this is the PBEM Opponent finder, not the Tavern or Insult board for that matter.
Good luck Lt. Driscoll and if my schedule wasn't full, I'd be happy to show you the stomping grounds of the Elephant.

Respectfully,
MajGen(bvt) Kevin Payne
"Mounted Scouts"
3rd Cav Div/II Corps/AoA

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I was wondering that myself.[;)] But I have received a courier and negotiations are in progress for a match. I hopefully will 'see the elephant shortly'.[8D]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:40 am 

Good Evening,

My dance card is full so I will not be entertaining anynew offers for the present until.[:I] Thanks to those who did respond.[:)]

Regards,

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]