American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:50 pm 

Why, for the 3rd time in the past year have I or one of my friends recieved the wrong points[?][V]

The rules on points for battles or maneuvers is set in stone. It has not changed, yet I have gotten points rounded up, I have got the wrong points, and I know for a fact that people are using tools that are broken.

It should be policy that either you use the OBD Calculator or a tested tool. <s>you do it by hand. You cannot muck it up, unless you cannot do math. </s>
http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/patches.asp and then scroll down until you see <u><b>Mark Tutle's OBD Calculator</b></u>

I want consistency, and I do not want to see my points rounded up to nearest tenth.

I am frustrated that the tools have been provided to the club, yet we still are doing it wrong.

I<b> will step forward and take responsibility</b>, because maybe a few out there are ignorant of the fact the tools exist, so that is <b>my fault, blame me</b> for not blowing a trumpet.

From now on, if everyone would please all use the same tool, it would be appreciated.

The tool is there, there is no excuse for rounding or sending the wrong points. (And quit using excel rounded to tenths.)

I will treat all errors I know about as typing mistakes, and I would like the two current errors I know about corrected when I contact those people that need to know.

Sincerely,

<font color="gold"><b>Lt. Col. </b></font id="gold">Paul Wakeman, <font color="limegreen">Sharpshooter</font id="limegreen">
<font color="beige">3rd</font id="beige"> '<font color="red">Jayhawk</font id="red">' <font color="beige">Brigade
1st Light Inf. Div.</font id="beige">
<b>XIX Corps, AoS,<font color="gold"> USA</font id="gold"></b>

Cartographer

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:29 am 

A nice e-mail saying you found a math error in my spreadsheet would have been much nicer then stopping by here in the forum and basically calling us a bunch of boobs would have been nice, especially since you have the spreadsheet that General Thomas and myself both use.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

I went back and checked my spreadsheet and did discover a mistake in that the number of points awarded for a draw were too high by a small number of points, tenths actually, which was the number of turns played divided by 100. I have corrected it. Otherwise the spreadsheet that I use and provided to General Thomas matches the number generated by Mr. Tuttles tool. Until someone in authority tells me differently I am going to continue to use my spreadsheet and continue to award points to two decimal places. If you don't like it you can send a proposal to the Cabinet and ask that it be voted on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:20 am 

Gee paul, was it really necessary to say all that? It's only a few (or fractions there of) fictious points...

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:56 am 

It has been happening over the past year.

I am not blaming anyone. As I have said, the fact is with all the changes people may not know about the tools that exist. MY FAULT.

And yes, it is necessary to say it, how many times to people need to invent the wheel when it already exists.

I am merely suggesting everyone use a tested tool, if you prefer Excel, let us post this at ACWCO for download for everyones use.

I also did not call or suggest anyone was a goofball (or boob, whatever that is)![:D]

I blame myself for not educating those out there that there are tools.

And this was not Mark Nelms doing, it happened in another Army and before a couple of times. (to my friend also) Your error only made me realize it is still happening.

Mark, if you would be so kind as to ship me your latest Excel, I will get it on our website. This can be useful as I know a lot of people prefer Excel.

<font color="gold"><b>Lt. Col. </b></font id="gold">Paul Wakeman, <font color="limegreen">Sharpshooter</font id="limegreen">
<font color="beige">3rd</font id="beige"> '<font color="red">Jayhawk</font id="red">' <font color="beige">Brigade

Cartographer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:03 am 

I apologize, I did have one line implying error on others.

It has been corrected and struck out.

Thanks!

Cartographer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:12 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAW1860</i>
<br />And this was not Mark Nelms doing, it happened in another Army and before a couple of times. (to my friend also) Your error only made me realize it is still happening.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Would you care to share which Army this person is in so we can correct it if needed??

Thanks. [:)]

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Lt. Col. Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:27 pm 

Scott,

I sent details off-line.

Thanks,

Cartographer