American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tessier Game
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:09 pm 

I've just called a halt to the Stone's River MP game I've been moderating for the past 18 months or so. The confederate forces have a major victory at the end of two days fighting with one yankee division destroyed on the first day and parts of two more trapped against the river as the sun sets on the second. With some 80 yankee guns destroyed/captured to 20 rebel I saw little reason to continue the game.

For those of you involved and any others who may be interested in what we were doing I've updated the website for the game with the second days action, a roster of the players and some after action reports for several brigades on each side. You'll find the website at http://home.comcast.net/~krmiller8/srmp/

Although we reduced the player control a bit I'm still not satisfied with the system. The casualties were still way too high due to the nearly constant fighting and I hope to come up with some changes to the system that will reduce the time units spend fighting and bring the length of fighting back in line with actual ACW combat. Plan to develop another scenario after the new year and hope to start up another game in the spring.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:12 pm 

Ken,

Thanks again for putting on this game, your dedication is amazing, I can't believe we've been playing it since May of 03.(time flies when your having fun)

The web site updates look great, also very interesting to see who had been filling the officer roles on both sides.[:0]

Count me in for a spot in the next one.....As a Reb of course![;)]

<font color="blue"><b>Colonel R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:09 am 

Ken,

Let me add my thanks and congratulations to you for hosting this outstanding event. I look forward to the next one, too. I am open to either side as the fun of participating far outweighs the side you might be playing. My after action report for this battle will be in your hands shortly.

Thanks again. My hats off to you for an outstanding job![^]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5/I/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:35 pm 

I too, along with Don and Robert would like to add my thanks for giving me a very enjoyable experience. When it was over I kinda missed my 18 month Saturday routine of doing the turn. Very interesting game which, as it turned out, looked like a grand version of Balls Bluff but two times over.
Count me in for the next one.
Thanks again Ken.

Gen. Doug Burke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:29 pm 

Hey Doug, After seeing the participants it was nice fighting along side of you instead of across from you for a change![:D]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5/I/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:08 am 

Ken,
I add my compliments to those expressed elsewhere in this thread. I look forward to the next battle!

BG Robert Frost
Army of Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:33 pm 

General Miller,

My hat is off to you, sir. A tremendous lot of fun.

To me, the only thing that would make me feel as if I were more on the battlefield (without actually being shot at) would be if you didn't even send us the replays to watch. Each player would receive a written synopsis of what the officer he is portraying would be aware of (from personal observation or from tidbits received from subordinates). Some of this information might be from spies, locals, prisoners, deserters, captured enemy messages, or other 'unreliable' sources. We would know what map we were playing on so we could reference it.

I expect this would moderate casualties, as well, since more units would tend to get lost or be tied up with flank guard duty and not make contact with the enemy. It would also prevent other officers from knowing what was going on elsewhere on the field, unless they received communication about it.

Of course, this would take even MORE work on the part of the moderator than the current system allows, since it would take time to write each officer's perception of events. For this, you may want the help of one or more co-moderators to assist. They could view the replay and be assigned to write synopsis for certain officers. If you decide to go this route, I volunteer to assist as a co-moderator.

If you don't need me as a co-moderator, please put me on the list of participants for the next round!

Again, my thanks for all the work you put into this.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, First ('Grey Line') Corps, AotM
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:05 pm 
I've enjoyed following along with this battle as it has been updated. I would love to join the next one. Sounds like it was a lot of fun for everyone involved. Put me down for a Reb in the next go 'round if another body is needed.

Regards,
Captain Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><