American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: first impressions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:01 am 

[:)] Wow! Just started 007 the Battle of Gettysburg(HPS) vs General Don Adams. This is not BGG although familier enough to jump right in. It would seem that the skill level involved might be higher as there are many more units( nee Norris/Frost), a much bigger map thus more strategic decesions and a lot of room for error.

I like it!! The Brigade coloring is great. I seldom used the jump map in BGG but here it is essential, My computer is not picking up the subtle terrain colorings so I need to zoom in a lot but its not a problem.

The big difference, of course, is the huge map. I am really having problems grasping the distances. I have not got into the tactical differences yet as just finding the enemy is a challenge. I suspect General Adams will have his way with me but this is a hoot!

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:29 pm 

FYI:

Don Adams does have a map available:
http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7143

I know I need it for my campaign games.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 am 

I am starting to wonder if the many many scenerios are really going to be stand alone battles. Bill Peters mentioned adapting the BG Gettysburg to the HPS System in a smaller scenerio. I just have a hunch that there will be more amalgamation of the two. I tend to think that the HPS system was designed as a CAMPAIGN and may have to be played that way without some serious tweaking to individual scenerios.

The major flaw(and I am not sure that term is correct quite yet) is the victory conditions. At this point I am on track to lose a major but between matched opponents, the draw range is huge. Again, please this is very preliminary but as others delve into individual scenerios they may want to concur or disagree,

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:10 am 
Tony,

The HPS games are at their best in the campaign mode. It provides blind scenarios with the knowledge that losses carry over to the next battle. It changes a person's playing style in a hurry.

Maj. Gen. Beno
Pickett's Division, I Corps, ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:12 am 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:13 am 

I like the wide range of victory conditions. Many of the largest battles in the ACW were draws or at most minor victories. The truly major victory was not nearly as common as when we play (witness the 1864 Overland Campaign or Sherman's maneuvering toward Atlanta). I don't think I've earned an MV if my opponent's forces are in fairly good order and I've failed to control the most important objective hexes, but in too many scenarios that's altogether possible.

Lt. Gen. Matt Perrenod
<i>The Blue Ghost</i>
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dradams2</i>
<br />Hey Ernie, the map is on the way after I finally got my shipping supplies and all in. You should have it in the next two or three days.

I am using mine now with this game with Tony. I didn't get it going until we were at the 10:00 a.m. turn. With it, I realized the distances involved in this particular scenario Tony is talking about and have started rethinking my strategies. The map is going to be a great tool. I will get a pic up on my web site to show how I am using it with dry erase markers to show things.

http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks, Don.

I have a couple of campaigns and one large scenario going and those large maps sure make it difficult to judge the actual (game-wise) distances.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:40 pm 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:10 am 

Alright, alright. I just pried into the vault and ordered a copy. When it arrives in a week one of you experienced rebs is gonna have to take me out to the shed with it.[:)] Actually, I'm very excited. I like that there is more room for maneuver, gives me a chance to see if this battle can be faught differently.

Major General Don Golen
Army of the Potomac, USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:34 am 

General Adams and I come to the end of day 1. I am embarrassed to admit all my rookie mistakes. Most of my scouting Cavalry was caught and destroyed. I had trouble with the terrain and Don sat back and peppered my defenses with long range artillary. While the casualties come in 3 and 4`s instead of 25 it still mounts up and my counter fire was weak, He has 3000+ points and has not even attacked so I am thinking our prospects are bleak. I assume that he will sit back and await MY attack on days two and three,

Now the new question is Has anyone calculated how long a campaign might last?? If one scenerio is 156 turns, golly -ya better sure like your opponent cause ya gonna be with him a LONG time[:p]

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:23 pm 

Well now-its 10 am day 2. What a hoot!! Already 35,000 casualties!!

Don got the early lead by buthering my scouting Cavalry. He then pulled back in an arc with II Corp to the North, and the rest of the army to the Northwest and West behind McPhersons ridge.Because I was way behind I was forced to attack. I Corp with heavy Arty support up Chambersburg Road. III Corp went into McPhersons woods. XII Corp was to hold the Right flank.XI postured on my right and then fell in behind III and I in support.

I Corp did well by charging Artilliary point blank and wrecking havoc.
Don countered against my left and pushed me back through McPhersons Woods. He also countered my center but despite appaling casualties I Corp with some support from XII held their ground,The Right flank was quiet.

Don sent some cavalry units into my rear and held up my Arty reserve and II Corp. it cost him casualties but I still have not got those reinforcments to the front.

V Corp did get through and came up to support the right. It formed and charged the Reb Left North of Gettysburg. Initially it went well as agian we nailed the Reb guns but Don again countered this time with early and Rodes and smacked V Corp hard. So far its holding but barly.

The yanks are reeling but I was able to hold the left and Don was forced to pull back to regroup. XI advanced through mcPhersons and hit the Reb center with support from remenents of I and XII Corp.

Don too has to be suffering although his infantry losses are only 14,000 against my 20000. He has around 3200 points. I have kept the score reasonable by wacking arty whenever I get a chance.

A lot of fighting to go with many interesting things to happen yet.Its been frustrating as heck what with my guys doing their usual attack to the rear routing. The disruptions are awful but ya get used to it( I dont know how to prevent it yet.)

Its been a BLAST!! This despite Don outplaying me at almost every occurance.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:06 pm 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:04 pm 
Thanks guys for the updates they're very interesting! Your battle sounds like a Smith/Bangma slugfest :-)

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3/3ANV
[url="http://convolutedmuse.blogspot.com//"]Convoluted Muse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:21 pm 

It is now noon of the second day and a new landmark has been added to the battle of Gettysburg. About 5 miles e-ast of the village of Gettysburg on the York Pike there is a small outcropping called Granite Hill. Here, JEB Stuart arrived with a crushing blow to an unsuspecting Union Cavalry force. The Yanks (over 800 Cavalry) never knew what hit them as they were completely enveloped and captured in two short moves. The overwhelming numbers of Rebel cavalry has shifted the focus of the battle from the lines of infantry north and west of Gettysburg to a full cavalry battle brewing in the east as Tony rushes more Cavalry to try to bolster his right along with infantry. Stuart, sitting astride his horse on top of a ridge overlooking the scene, spies the approaching Yanks and a wicked smile crosses his face. [}:)]

This battle has been an absolute blast. The wide open spaces of the full GB map opens up whole new approaches to the use of cavalry. Stuart, who was so predictable in the limited scope of the TS game and map, was able to manuever unseen completely around to the East of Gettysburg and spring a surprise attack that completely changed the complexion of the game. Just one more reason to thank Doug for doing such an outstanding job on the maps and the game in general. This particular scenario, 007, uses the full map instead of the reduced map that the historical version uses. If you are looking for a fun battle with lots of opportunity to try something completely different I heartily recommend it to you.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:13 pm 

[:)]Well, it turns out that the Yanks have some Cavalry also!! Good fortune had my Cavalry arriving just in the nick of time and a potential disaster was averted. We soldified our right and were able to counter attack. Over all the Rebs came out ahead in the exchange(so far)but it wasnt a game winner as it first appeared.

Meanwhile we assault the Reb left center on McPhersons Ridge with a ton of Yanks. He counter attacked with Longstreet but depsite a lot of disruptions the late arriving II Corp has more than held its own.We are getting our guns on Seminary he has his on Mcphersons. Dons placement has been excellant and we suffer greviously but hopefully my more numerous guns can pay him back. Points at 4100( a minor Reb Victory) but a lot of fighting ahead as we will press the attack until our poor morale brings it to a halt.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ