American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:50 am 
Gentlemen: I have no desire to go any further than Brigade Commander level in this club. I command a Corps in the CCC and that is enough administrative responsibility for me. That being said; I do have a comment on the Divisional Commander position. While I agree wholeheartedly with the assertion that a DC should be delegated a bit of lower level administrative duties; I also believe if that is a requirement...he should receive administrative points as well. That is not the case at present and it should be considered.

[url="mtdavies@msn.com"]Captain Mike Davies[/url]
4/1/XXV
<i><b>"Keystone Brigade"</b></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:15 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zettlemyer</i>
I also believe if that is a requirement...he should receive administrative points as well. That is not the case at present and it should be considered.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It is the case. 5 pts per month.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:53 am 
Site Admin

General Walter, I am understanding that you give 5 points to your DC's. Do you give them specific responsibilities?

Perhaps we can find out who does and who does not give points to the DC's and why. Not enough points perhaps. I know that the OBD points are distributed to the commanders with general guidelines as to their use. As such some Commanders may allocate theirs differently based on their assessment and preferences. Should there be stronger guidelines?

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:21 am 
Sorry Sir...It wasn't listed in club rules as such.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Zettlemyer</i>
I also believe if that is a requirement...he should receive administrative points as well. That is not the case at present and it should be considered.

It is the case. 5 pts per month.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

[url="mtdavies@msn.com"]Captain Mike Davies[/url]
4/1/XXV
<i><b>"Keystone Brigade"</b></i>
Army of the James
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:41 am 

When I was a CC I awarded 3 per month (if I remember correctly) and then used other discrecionary points for specific accomplishments. I think this is handled different from Corps to Corps though.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:15 pm 

When Rob Love was commanding the AoS he told his three CC's (myself, Gen Breen and Gen Martens) he was going to give each corps 20 OBD a month out of the AoS allotment. We were told to figure out how much to give the DC for their work and what their duties were to be. After kicking it around we came up with giving each DC 5 OBD and 1 OBD they could award to officers in their command. We also set their duties as
1. Collecting a report from each officer in their division each month and reporting to the CC on the actions of the division.
2. Assisting their officers in training and answering questions.
3. Recommend officers for award and/or OBD's in addition to the 1 OBD they could award.
4. Setting up MP games or challenges if the officers of the division were interested.
If they did not award their divisional OBD in their monthly report it reverted to the CC along with the 2 remaining OBD in the corps allotment. If he didn't use it he reported that fact to the AC in his monthly report who could then use it.

The idea was to give the DC a taste of higher command, handling responsibility, keeping in contact with their officers and doling out awards. I think it worked rather well, Gen Murphy took over VIII Corps when I stepped down and Gen Perrenod replaced him. The VI and XIX have both replaced their CC from within the AoS and Gen Walter went on to command the AoS.

To the best of my knowledge the process and OBD awards continues, with the exception of the Veteran's Division which I command, as it consists of senior officers who have all held command positions in the past and require little or no assistance from their DC.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:59 pm 
I issue my DC's 5pts a month. As far as specific duties I do not have them do anything at this time, but my Corps has mustered at 100% for the past 5 months so they don't have to get their officers rounded up. I do know that at least two of them would help if I asked and they have offered. So I issue the points just incase I need to call on them.

Col. Chris Cross
II "Jackson's" Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:30 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
I am a 'Newbee' but I like to see what is going on within the ACWGC and have visited at least more than once all of the different Army pages. The one item that I found most interesting was the AoT. The Commanding General publishes an Army 'News' which reflects comings and goings of Army Officers, recent completion of battles and who did what against whom in what battle. I really enjoyed reading the 'News'! Especially since I was an opponent of one of their Army Officers in battle. I thought it was a great way for the members of the AoT to see what was going on with their fellow Officers. When you repeatedly saw the same name or names finishing battles you knew these guys were busy and climbing up the ladder. That's my two cents worth!

Sincerely,
Lt Col Nick Kunz
2/2, III Corps, AoA, CSA
'DoubleDuce'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:10 am 
Gentlemen

I am with the AoS as DC for the 3/VIII, the AoS militia for all new recruits.

If I stick to the minimum requirements for a DC then I figure I would be somewhat overpaid on average. Even with a Div of Lts I do not get that many questions or requests for help - I probably should, but I don't.

However, I know when I was a 2nd Lt I was all over Gen Perrenod with all kinds of questions and sure made him earn his 5 OBDs, so I can see that this varies.

Further, I am trying to follow the fine example that Gen Perrenod set by maintaining a Div website with a News section like Lt Col Kunz describes, encouraging participation at the Taverns, and so on. Gen Perrenod did all of thse things and I know I really appreciated them.

I tend to agree with keeping things as low in the chain as possible as it makes it more personal and spreads the work around. The cost is that things tend to be more uneven this way with a lot of variation from unit to unit - a good reason to keep a least promotions automatic and at the system level.

I think I would suggest a set of minimum requirements that are not too demanding (answer questions, coordinate muster) so that it is always possible to fill the DC positions, while having a set of suggested activities for those who want to take it further; things we know have been helpful. The pay should be the same regardless.

Brig Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:45 pm 

If I may say one thing, you would be surprised at how much your men don't tell you. I recently asked my Army to voluntarily participate in an Input Survey, which I started yesterday, and I was surprised at the amount of input I got. Most of the time I don't even hear a peep from my Army, and only get stuff from Commanders and a few others, but I was glad I did such a thing. It really helps gauge how we are headed. Out of all of my Comamnds I would say this is the hardest to read of how the troops feel about things and I reccommend it greatly to Armies that have not done such a thing as the insight can be very, very helpful. I take more of a hands off approach to this Command than the others since I took it over rather than started it. In all my other clubs they are either a small enough force that it is easy to read how things are going or I get a lot of feedback and I started the Command and built upon it. Here it is hard with a group of some 56 officers to see gauge things and because it is so quiet a lot at my end I try not to send too much in fear of bothering people. I found out differently in the survey results so far. Also, this is my newest Command and I am trying to get in a mode like the others and the troubles I have had with the OBD and Points System consumed a lot of my slotted time for the club that I was often turned off to other issues. Now that we are in the clear it should be easier.

So the initial question of Pierre's, basically the ANV doesn't need too much tinkering with as it has a great tradition of solid leadership at all levels and given the seniority of most in it the fundamentals are laid down quite well. I pretty much have contact with the Commanders and I send normally one mass Army e-mail a month calling for Muster. Anything that is important for the whole Army I will send, but if not I send it to the proper groupings. OBD updates used to take a lot of time and like everything else I have refined how I track it all. My CC's file Monthly Reports and often or not e-mails are exchanged with them sometimes on a daily basis. Recently we just cleaned out the Reserve Corps and handled discharges. There are a few side projects going on such as Brig. Gen. Alphonse de Mere has been working on a campaigns ribbons system for us, and I just opened a new Army news section. (Something I found people would like to see as apart of the survey.) I address issues as they come up but mostly issue out Army Promotion E-mails and Certificates.

I would like to have a better idea of what my DC's do as often I don't have contact with them on any major basis. I think it is the qualm of every club everywhere and I have left it to their own wishes as to how involved they are with their men, often or not it is the best system.

It is a valuable thing to have very experienced people to turn to in your Army often or not it has proved to be very worthy. I have had great communication with my Theater Commander as of late and work on many things with him. Also what is nice is I now talk to on a often basis the other Army Commander in my Theater. The CSA is going through a transition I feel and it will come out a stronger and better Army.

So in closing I think it is all that you want to make of it. I mean were not here to force anyone to do anything, this is a fun voluntary club. So if you just keep the engine rolling all else works out ok. It is all what you want it to be and if you want more you will go out and make it so.

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:27 pm 
Scott

Any chance you'll share what you asked and what you learned? I know I am very interested as I assume that at this scale it is probably similar for all the armies.

Brig Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:47 am 

<b>Sirs,

Now that the dust has settled on the points mess again, and I hope for the final time, I want to continue down the road. I would like to know where to start with things again so I ask for a few basic things. Since this is your Army, not mine, I would like to know what do you want us to do for you??

I'm looking for ideas on how to improve things or how to change things and if you wish to participate that great, if not that's fine too, it is wholly voluntary. So I will now ask a few simple questions:

1.) Would you like more information on what is going on in the Army:

a.) A news section to the Army website.

b.) Bi-monthly Army e-mail.

c.) Post in the forums.

2.) Would you like an Army wide maneuver every couple of months.

3.) Would you like more involvement from your Commanding officers. Example, playing multiplayers together.

4.) Do you like things the way they are and not be tinkered with.

5.) Your comments, suggestions, thoughts.

Now e-mail just me, and I'll go over it with the staff and see what we can come up with.

I'll do this on occasion to spark a little interest in things, or so I hope.

Again this is voluntary.

Thanks,
-Scott</b>

Responses I got were ranged from things are ok, to a lot asking for some type of maneuver or tourney with another Army. (That was really split down the middle.) Most were not interested in any type of mutliplayer, all citing the length issue and people dropping out. The news section was a good option a lot said, it varied from having it on the website, to posting in the forums, very few said an e-mail would be ok, so I created a news section already that I hope will grow in time. I even had people discuss their Command experiences and also things I could not control, but still the ideas expressed were good and the intention well meant. So it is kind of a bare bones, basic survey that any Commander should ask from time to time to see how people feel. I have not responded yet to anyone who submitted stuff, as I am expecting more. In one day I got 14 responses, which accounts for 25% of my Army. So not bad, but I got stuff from people I would never expect to hear from. So next week I will sit down with my staff and see what we can come up with. I hope it helps anyone else too.

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>