American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:18 am 
I figured integrated graphics was the problem....the compasss mod may help.....Regards, Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:24 pm 
Another quick note on this game....the AI is no slouch! Its not invincible but much smarter than I would have expected. These guys have done a nice job with this game!

BG Mike Smith
3/3ANV
[url="http://convolutedmuse.blogspot.com//"]Convoluted Muse Me[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:22 pm 

Unfortunately, it is probably a combination problem with my old 64MB video board, DX9 and Nvidia Drivers. When I say flicker I mean the whole screen turns white of a few seconds then the display returns for maybe a second then repeats until you have a headache[xx(]. And that is the low setting. I will probably post on their forum and see if anyone comes up with a working driver combination. Since the game runs correctly for about five minutes it is most likely memory overflow in the video board.

To make matters worse it is hard to upgrade the video boards now. The video boards with 128MB memory also require AGP 3.0 compatibility. Something any motherboard over one year old probably doesn't have. Just to make it more fun they don't indicate this on the boxes. Already had to return a brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB board I gave myself for Xmas because of this[V].

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wjbraddock</i>
<br />Min spec is 64 megs on your vid card. Leave the option settings at medium, an maybe turn off the trees if you don't have a 128 meg card. I only use the trees if I follow a unit through the woods - just so I can get the feeling of walking into unexpected fire. Flicker can be helped by changing your windows 'hardware acceleration' setting, especially if you notice mouse cursor flicker. Down if it's at max, up or down if it's not.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />I got the game and was hoping to be able to comment on it. Unfortunately[:(], they really mean those minimum specs. When they say it requires a video card with 128MB you better have one if you don't want to watch flicker and crashes[xx(]. Be sure to check their site for the minimum computer requirements and make sure yours passes muster[^].

Col. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt Gen Bill Braddock, 1/2/III ANV

Col. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:31 pm 
Silly question but what driver set are you running for your Nvidia card? My kids computer runs this game just fine....a tad sluggish but allright and they have a GeForce 4 MX440 64 MB card and Direct X 9c

BG Mike Smith
3/3ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:53 am 

Unforunately, my adapter is a bit older, GeForce3 Ti200. Right now I am running version 66.93 of Nvidia drivers. This one was selected by trial and error to work with WoW Online. Since it takes a couple of days of trials to verify a new driver I haven't just jumped in there to see what might work[:D]. Actually, Nvidia stopped supporting GeForce 3 in rev 50 but it predates DX 9 so you have to use higher revs. The higher revs add "features" that GeForce 3 doesn't recognize so the fun of trying to match the driver to the board and Direct X begins. And newest isn't bestest since the newest drivers crash my computer. Enough to make you buy an Apple[:D][:D].

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Michael Smith</i>
<br />Silly question but what driver set are you running for your Nvidia card? My kids computer runs this game just fine....a tad sluggish but allright and they have a GeForce 4 MX440 64 MB card and Direct X 9c

BG Mike Smith
3/3ANV

Col. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:09 am 
Wow, shame your system couldn't support the Raedon card. I have a couple of buddies running their cards and are quite happy with them. I myself am running an Nvidia card but gave serious thought to switching to the Raedon card prior to getting this one.

On a similar vein I updated my Nvidia drivers a short while ago to version 70? or so.....can't remember the exact number. The point is I had nothing but trouble with it untill I rolled the driver back and my card is quite new (FX5950 Ultra).

BG Mike Smith
3/3ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:23 am 
I can't get enough points to get past the 'brigade command' level in the campaign. Jackson's scenario at HHH is killing me! Sherman's is no picnic either. I want to strangle Keyes in that one.

Incidentally, to 'win' the game, you must win all the scenarios and pass the point totals stated. Your treat is the announcement of the next game in the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:57 am 

Bill,

See my post over at the MMG forums on Jackson in Strategy & Tactics. It took me a few tries, but I came up with a strategy that netted me 343 points in that scenario.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wjbraddock</i>
<br />I can't get enough points to get past the 'brigade command' level in the campaign. Jackson's scenario at HHH is killing me! Sherman's is no picnic either. I want to strangle Keyes in that one.

Incidentally, to 'win' the game, you must win all the scenarios and pass the point totals stated. Your treat is the announcement of the next game in the series.

-Capt. Brett Schulte 2nd Bde, 1st Div., III Corps, AotM, ACWGC
http://www.brettschulte.net/hps_acw.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:51 am 
I tried that early on. Some wise acre AI Union feller decided to flank me, something they could do with an advantage of 4,000 brigades to 5. Shot Jackson to boot.

I'm going to wait behind the crest this time and just give Willcox the cold steel when he shows up. [:(!] Hopefully, the boys will recover enough fatige to hold Sherman off after I get the Grand Skedaddle started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:04 am 
Yeah the VP setup is a bit iiritating in this game. To win you must detail a regiment to stay in the radius of the VP location even though your orders are to move to take another position. This of course weakens your brigade and makes it harder to achieve the the nest goal. I see in the forums they're taking this under consideration....hopefully they'll develop a better approach.

BG Mike Smith
3/3ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:38 am 

Guys,

I've been so impressed by this game that I've decided to run a fan site for them similar to my HPS ACW site. The first content will appear this evening and it is still a bit rough, but it is located at http://www.brettschulte.net/MMGACW/. If anyone has the game and is doing mods, doing how-to guides for modders, doing AARs, etc, feel free to send me those files.

And in addition, it seems that new add-ons for the HPS games have been non-existent for the past several months. If anyone has any mods they want posted there by all means send them in.

-Capt. Brett Schulte 2nd Bde, 1st Div., III Corps, AotM, ACWGC
http://www.brettschulte.net/hps_acw.htm