American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gettysburg Unit Graphics
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:55 pm 

Gentlemen,

I have been looking for some new graphics for my Gettysburg game. I have down loaded Pete Seibel's graphics, they look good at regular 3D, but are pixley (can see the individual pixels) at the 3D Zoom level. I saw the post by Antony Barlow giving two more possibilities.

Quote"
If it's the graphics that are putting you off have a look at this graphics mod which you can download: http://acwsite2.mysite.wanadoo-members. ... _scale.htm . I think it actually looks better than the Battlegound games with these graphics. There are plenty of other mods to choose from to. Have a look here: http://www.brettschulte.net/hps_acw.htm

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
"End Quote

Has any one tried these two? Are they good at the 3D Zoom level? I don't want to down load them and find out I don't like them and then try to get things back the way they were.

Joe Mishurda, The Cast Iron Division
2nd Div. XXV Corp, AoJ

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:48 am 

Whether they look good is a matter of personal taste. In my opinion Rolf Hall's regimental scale icons look suberb, especially at the 3D zoom in level. They aren't pixely at all and are really detailed and smooth, as they were obviously created for this zoom level, and then reduced for the 3D zoom out. Images would only look pixely if you started with a smaller original image and then had to enlarge it to match the 3d zoom in level.

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
CO, XIV Corps,
XO, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:54 am 
Sir,

Is that pixley???

maeckes@t-online.de

http://www.befreiungskrieg.de/civil_war ... rigade.htm

Regards,
2nd Lt. Pete Seibel
6/3/VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:32 am 

Pete, Rolf and others have all done a superb job with their mods and they all look pleasing to the eye to me, it's just a matter of personal taste which one you prefer, or whether you use the default graphics - it's still a great game either way. It's no problem to try any of them - the simple way is to just back up your entire map folder before installing them and then you can easily overwrite them with the originals if you don't like the result. It's nice that we have a choice[:)]

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
CO, XIV Corps,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:49 pm 

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow,

Yes, I do like the look of Rolf's Regimental graphics, but I did not see a set for Gettysburg. I tried the acwsite2.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk regimental graphics (Used these for Corinth 1.03, Rolf's had missing units and union boys in grey must be for Corinth version 1.01). I like the look but the Gettysburg ones are not yet finished, as I confirmed when I installed them and found some marching troops missing. Looks like I will have to wait a little while longer for Gettysburg update. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Col. Joe Mishurda

2nd Div. XXV Corp, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:17 pm 

Col. Mishurda,

I am using Rolf's graphics for Gettysburg and it looks good. I'm pretty sure I'm using Rolf's units for Corinth 1.01 from Brett Schulte's website. They display correctly with no anomolies that I've noticed. Gettysburg probably uses the same or similar bitmaps to the original Corinth ones. To be sure just open up the original Gettysburg images up in a graphics viewer next to Rolf's ones and you can see what each unit is being replaced with with the new icons.

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
CO, XIV Corps,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:51 am 

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow,

Thank you Sir! Rolf's Units look great, just what I was looking for. Loaded them and checked them out on the 1st Gettysburg Scenario. No anomolies found.. Ready for action.....

Col. Joe Mishurda

2nd Div. XXV Corp, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:27 am 

I have added a section to my "War College" site for Campaign Gettysburg (this is open to all section) with down loads for the versions of the graphics I personally like and have tested. I also have links to the sites I have found providing graphics for CG. If any one knows of more let me know and I will add them. The information page on it is at:
http://wc.kwhitehead.com/CG_Parent/CG_G ... fault.aspx
The is a section containing the zipped files of the graphics and a picture section showing a side by side comparison of the before and after results.

Col. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:52 am 

Dear Xlegion,

No, If you down load new graphics it only effects what you see, not your opponent. I have down loaded the Rolf graphics for HPS Campaign Gettysburg and have had no problems with my PBEM games.

Col. Joe Mishurda

2nd Div. XXV Corp, AoJ