American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HPS and phases
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:55 am 

Well I went ahead and ordered Campaign Gettysburg and received it in the mail last night.

I know at one point I saw a break down of how you can set up the different phases to avoid some of the overruns and such with the HPS system but I have looked through the messages about 3 times and can't find it.

So can someone give me a breakdown of how you can set the phases up for the HPS games again and maybe which optional rules are most commonly used?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:44 am 

If you select Manual Defensive Fire OFF the game will play in one phase per turn in which you can move, fire, melee in any order and the non-phasing player's units will react with (weak) defensive fire when you move, fire, change formation, etc., in their LOS.

If you select Manual Defensive Fire ON the game will play in four phases, just like BG.

If you select Automated Defensive Fire ON in addition, the Defensive Fire Phase will be conducted by the AI for the non-phasing player during the phasing player's turn. (Again, just as in the BG games.)

If you select Automated Defensive Fire OFF, you will need to return the file to the non-phasing player for his Defensive Fire phase, thus resulting in six file turnovers (instead of two) per turn.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:55 am 

So if you select the Manual Defensive Fire ON and the Automated Defensive fire ON this plays more like the BG games if I am understanding correctly.

Does this mean there is only the one melee phase as in the BG games or are you still able to move, melee and then move other troops to do additional melees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:31 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rorris</i>
<br />So if you select the Manual Defensive Fire ON and the Automated Defensive fire ON this plays more like the BG games if I am understanding correctly.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Exactly

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Does this mean there is only the one melee phase as in the BG games or are you still able to move, melee and then move other troops to do additional melees?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Exactly like in the BG games. Movement Phase, Defensive Fire Phase, Offensive Fire Phase, Melee phase.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College