American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: E-Mail recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:03 am 

Gentlemen,

Barkeep, a stiff drink, please. "Parting is such sweet sorrow . . . "

After 7+ years, my e-mail provider is about to give me the boot [xx(] . I can't compain, as it's been a free service and very stable, but now they're going to start charging. Not much, mind you, and I'm sure it's just one more effect of that nasty blockade, but every dollar counts these days. Also, it was based on an antiquated system (called 'Pine' -- I think it uses smoke signals from pine pitch [V]), so this really is a good excuse to upgrade.

My son has sent me an invitation for a gmail account from Google. I set it up, but before I start transfering my address book (yes, they'll have to be hand-typed, or at least cut-and-pasted -- the old system is old enough that addresses can't be exported from it!), I wanted to get your advice.

I've heard some of you say you use gmail. What do you think of it? Is there something better? I'm no pc guru, so 'user friendly' is very important to me now (my past system notwithstanding).

Any suggestions y'all have would be much appreciated. (The old account will still be valid for another month or so, so I have plenty of time to set something new up and get used to it.)

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:18 am 

I've not messed with gmail, but I've been using Yahoo Mail for years, and have had no problems with using it to play games (half my games are on it, half are on my home account), so I find it to be a fully acceptable setup. Not saying it's better than gmail, just that I myself like it.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:38 am 
I'll second Gary's comments on Yahoo. I've used prodigy since 1994 and when yahoo bought them out it was an easy move. I didn't have to change my address book, they have excellent spam protection that learns as it goes. So on one account only one or two spams a week get through and on the other about 5 a week. Plus like most providers it'll give you a heads up if there is a virus. Since I hook up through my cable tv I don't use their dial up. I called yahoo and said I was gonna drop them and they downed my fee to $9.95 a month to keep the same email address.
And if you don't need to connect through an account you can probably get one free through Yahoo, Netscape, Hotmail, Google and numerous other sources. If you do need to pay, then any below ten bucks are good - I've heard a number of folks that say peoplepc.com gives excellent customer service. I don't think there really is a big difference between most providers. Except some give you more junk snail mail than others, such as AOL. As a postal employee I see so much advertising come through every day from them that I wonder if they couldn't cut their fees if they'd cut down on advertising. One guy I know was getting his through the Baltimore Public Library where he paid a flat $72 a year which comes out to $6 a month. So maybe there are similar deals where you live. Good luck in your search... BvB/Scott

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:44 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scott Schlitte</i>
<br />One guy I know was getting his through the Baltimore Public Library where he paid a flat $72 a year which comes out to $6 a month. So maybe there are similar deals where you live. Good luck in your search... BvB/Scott

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Schlitte,

Yup, that's the deal I've been sponging off ever since I moved to Columbia. ('COIN' stands for 'Columbia Online Information Network', and it's offered through our public library.) If you only use their text-only email, there was no cost at all. If you wanted the graphical interface, it cost $120/year. I had a 'normal' internet connection at work (which is why I started doing most of my tavern postings there -- over my lunch break, of course!), so I used dial-up at home and the free email. A few years back we got DSL at home (Now my wife wonders how we ever got along without it -- my son and I tried to tell her [:)] !). I had tinkered with other free email services through the years, but just about the time I started getting familiar with them they seemed to go under. Through it all, my 'coin' account has been very dependable.

Now, to continue my text-only account, it will cost $24/year (yes, that's a YEAR -- only $2 a month). But the way my wife figures it, that's $24 we don't have to spend if I'll just switch to another free account. (She's been using Netscape.) (A friend of mine once told me that calling my wife 'thrifty' was like saying the Pope was 'a nice guy' [:D] !) The more I think about it, that $24 would come close to covering a new HPS game every year, so I'm inclined to agree with her.

Anyway, thanks for the input and keep the ideas coming.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:26 am 

As for address books, etc, I use ONE email client (Incredimail - costs something like $30.) and use it to manage ALL my email address (accounts), I have Verizon, Yahoo, Gmail and my own domain gamer@Pbem-war-gamer.com. Even IF I change my ISP to something other than Verizon, I will still be able to control all my email accounts, as long as the new one supports POP3/ STMP (I think that STMP is right). All my mail, goes into this one client and I read and answer everything from Incredimail. This holds true for even the email addresses I do not publish, but use for specific tasks and as a backup address in case I ever need it.

I think that even email clients, such as Outlook Express and its' BIG brother Outlook, can handle multiple accounts. I would BET, but am not sure, that EUDORA and others can operate in a similar fashion.

So, to me, it doesn't matter who my ISP is, I can always get my mail. Of course, if my main ISP goes down, I am SOL, but can use my very old AOL account that currently costs me $2,00 per month to maintain and have not had to use (knock, knock) for several years. Then I can still access all email accounts except the ISP account that is (theoretically) down.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:23 pm 

Eudora does [:D]

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:56 am 

Hi D.W. et al. [:D]

I use Outlook Express and took a looksee at Incredimail.

I gotta say . . "I'm IMPRESSED!" [8D]

I think I'll be moving over to this System.

Thanks Ernie! [;)]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
II Corps, Commanding.
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia,
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:10 am 

Hi Not sure of Gmail,all mine done in Hotmail,and then i have Incredimail thats were i do all my work,and its Great.[;)]

Major Dean Beecham.
2nd Division
Artillery Brigade
AoC.