American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:43 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen,
I was wondering if one of you who is attending this weekend's TillerCon would care to post a run down of each days highlighted activities[:D]? Would not have to include much detail, just something to wet our whistles and make us wish we were there[:p]!

That is the kind of crumbs I am talking about, Ernie and Eric[:)]! Thank you Gentlemen and keep it coming!

Thanks for the posting Don[^]!

Regards,

Colonel Nick Kunz
Commanding,
2/2, III Corps, AoA, CSA
'DoubleDuce'

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:20 am 

Hi Nick,

Someone might, but I'll be too busy...I start moving computers up there this afternoon and don't expect to slow down until Monday afternoon sometime. [:0]

With that said though, we will be putting together an article along with pictures to share with everyone once it is over. If a #2 is going to happen then the planning for it will need to start soon, as locations go quick when you talk about facilities large enough to house things like this. And hopefully this article, and comments from attendees this year, will stir up some interest for it.

Regards,
Rich

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA
Signal Corps - Editor in Chief

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:14 pm 

A quick TILLERCON update: Several of us early arrivals and Rich, spent an excellent evening having dinner and swapping <s>lies</s> stories over some beverages. I won't list all that were there, as I know I would forget someone!![:D] A FEW WIVES WERE ALSO ALLOWED AT THE TABLE.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:22 pm 
well if you ever fly in to dulles and rent a car bull run is about 15 miles away.I stopped by there on my way to tillercon and realized i forgot my camera!!![:(!]

Lt Col Karcher ,Csa
5th Calvary Brigade
II Corps Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:11 am 

Good luck Rich!

1<font size="1">st</font id="size1"> Lt. M. Cox
1st/3rd/<i>VIII</i>
AoS
Image<i>'Once more unto the breach'</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:33 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eric karcher</i>
<br />well if you ever fly in to dulles and rent a car bull run is about 15 miles away.I stopped by there on my way to tillercon and realized i forgot my camera!!![:(!]

Lt Col Karcher ,Csa
5th Calvary Brigade
II Corps Army of Northern Virginia
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As an officer of the South you are authorized to confiscate a camera from any passing Yankee wagon train... [:D] [8D] [}:)]

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:34 am 
I would love to know about the new releases from HPS. Hope everybody is having a lot of fun!

Dale H
Dale Henken, 2/1/XVI/AoT-USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:18 pm 

Day 1 began with the setup of all of the computers and networks by Rich and a bunch of volunteers from the clubs.

Sign in began on schedule at 10:00 am and shortly thereafter the first games were going on. The new releases, Shiloh and Salerno are set up for play as well. There was a lot of good visiting going on. John Tiller showed up and went around greeting everyone here. This first day was pretty flexible as lots of computers were available and around 30 people were gathered around them most of the day. I left around 10:30 pm and things were still going strong. The site is great with tons of room with very easy access. I am sure you will see pictures posted places soon.

Names of some that are here: Rich Hamilton, John Tiller, Dave Moser, Jim Gleason, Mark Adams, Den McBride, Eric Karcher, Sam Moon, Ernie Sands, Bill Peters, John Longstreet,and many others I can't think of right now.

I will post again tomorrow evening. Tomorrow should see even more in attendance and there will be some impromptu sessions going on as well.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:25 pm 

Day 2 started off with a good crowd. (50+) There was lots of gaming going on and the sessions on the different clubs were really good. The Panzer group got a first hand run through of the new Salerno game with the designers about the planning and development of this new game and how it came about. The ACWGC session started off with John Tiller asking the open question "what would you like to see in the games?" There were plenty of suggestions and discussion from the people present. Artillery was discussed at length including capture and recrewing and also the ability to spike the guns if you were going to be forced to abandon them, unit recognition at long distances, cavalry skirmishers, bridge reconstruction, fatigue penalty for night movement, and much more. John took notes the whole time and is aware of many of your (our) concerns. (If you had been here you could have had input directly!) [:D] If you ever have the opportunity to meet John, you will see just how great a person he is and that he truly cares about what we are saying. As he said, some things are do-able and others might not be.

One tidbit of news that came out was that Doug Strickler is working on a huge map that will include all of the maps from the new games. (Most of Eastern Virginia up to Gettysburg) That will be awesome.

The highlight of the day came at 8:00 pm when all activity shut down and we were treated to a live concert by Thomas Hook. It was absolutely fantastic not only to hear him but to see him as he sang. He is obviously very "into" the songs he sings and carries that energy over to the audience. Bravo Tom! A great performance much appreciated by all in attendance.

After the concert there was a prize giveaway of games and GB maps. Everyone in attendance got at least two items! Thank you HPS for your generosity!

Rumor: Possibility of moving to a more central location (KC??) next year for Tiller Con II? I personally would love to see that and maybe with the more central location we could get even more people out.

Tomorrow is the last day and we will be saying goodby to many new friends in all of the clubs. I have really enjoyed that aspect most of all, the meeting of new people and putting faces with those "Bluebellies" and fellow Rebels, as well as meeting the designers and programmers that are in attendance.

Of course Tiller Con I was possible due to the organization and hard work of Rich Hamilton who did a truly outstanding job. Everything went very smoothly, especially for a first go around. The only thing missing was some of the girls from the club taverns to liven things up a little. [:p] Explaining that to our wives might have been a little hard so maybe it is just as well.[B)]

Watch for news in the future from Rich Hamilton about Tiller Con II and make your plans to be a part of this great event next year.

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:19 pm 

Don.
Thanks for your run down,It was Great to read.[;)]

Major Dean Beecham.
2nd Division
Artillery Brigade
AoC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:55 am 

Thanks for the news update Don! I truly hope the rumor of a more central location for Tillercon II comes true. I could do Kansas City!!!

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:49 am 

Hi Gents!

A cuppla comments, a request and a question for all You "New Colonials".

Don . . many thanks for the updates . . I'm seething with envy - JT,Tom Hook, Freebies and of course "unmasking" fellow gamers . . 'specially the Yankees!

Please pass on my regards and greetings to George Kasnic and the rest of the Guys!

Rich - "Búla boss"! A hearty round of applause . . Ye seem to have played a Stormer from all accounts! Well Done Suh! <SALUTE!>

Kansas City eh? What would be the nearest International Airport to THERE? One with regular flights to Europe and Ireland in partikylar? Anyone know? (The schemin', scrimpin' and Wife Foolin' begins NOW!) LoL

Is Kansas safe for a Reb to visit? . . I heard a rumour there are still Redlegs in the neighbourhood! ;o)

Thanks again Don for the Whistle wettin' and Innerest Whettin' Reports!

Roll on Tillercon II and a generous Santa Claus this Christmas!

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:57 am 

Technically, the airport in KC is "Kansas City International", though I'm not sure how many international flights there are. That said, you can go from there direct to about any major airport in the US, so if you fly into NYC, you can then change planes to KC. No problem [:D]

Hm, I've not driven it directly, but for those so inclined, I *think* that KC is about a 4 hour drive N of Pea Ridge/Prarire Grove.

Hm, if Tiller-Con moves to KC, we may have to have a group drop in there on Thurs... (heh, it's a bit out of the way for me, but not terribly.)

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:38 am 
Perhaps finding a way to host the event in different regions of the country each year on a rotating basis would be good? NE, SE, SW, NW, and Central? Some folks that can travel a few hundred miles have zero chance of travelling a few thousand, etc...

Or perhaps if another new game is due out near the time of the next Tillercon, the event could be held in the vicinity of that location to allow a visit to the field, etc?

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:46 am 

"Or perhaps if another new game is due out near the time of the next Tillercon, the event could be held in the vicinity of that location to allow a visit to the field, etc?"

With my luck the only game released then would be a Squad Battles title covering the Falklands.[:D]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!