American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:28 am 

Sorta reminds me of a guy named McCarthy and his quest to roust the Communists...[xx(]

Lest we forget the lessons of history...[;)]

General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:48 am 

Just don't play the guy any more and move on down the road.[:)]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:31 pm 
About 7 or 8 years ago when I was new to the ACW club, I was playing Tony Best in BGG 13h and on the last turn of twilight, first day, I made a desperation attack with about 7 melees to try and take a good part of Cemetary Ridge crest, including the Hill. They were mostly with heavily fatigued units, 4 to 8, into woods and across crest modifiers. I figured that I would be lucky to win 2, and that I might lose them all. I won every last one of them...[:p] I was embarrassed by this vagary of the game engine [:0] and feared that Tony would protest. Not a bit of it. He was a gentleman and never said a word.
I have on occasion seen turns that I was sure that my opponent must be cheating. I have never lodged a complaint because of my own experience, and because I know of no way to have irrefutable proof. I agree with others who posted earlier, move on and let it go. Life is too short and games are too small in importance to spend significant parts of it stewing over whether or not my opponent has managed to hack the game, or is replaying until he gets the result that he wants. Refuse to play him anymore. [}:)] Thet'l larn him, darn him! And hope that you were right... These games should be fun, and if either of you is not enjoying it, it's time to move on.
As for bringing up controversial subjects, I believe that it is beneficial to shine light on dirty and shameful subjects, such as cheating, periodically.
I also believe that it should be okay to bring up subjects for discussion that the membership may have strong opinions in disagreement. We do it all the time in The Smoking Room. I have to confess being an instigator. Racism, mercy killing, Islamoterrorism, homosexual marriage, pedophilia, voted for Kerry (Now that one's really awful![:0]); We cover many sensitive subjects and usually without anyone going postal. Well, Simon Macbeth goes into a rant occasionally, but even I can appreciate his artistic insanity. [:)]
I also favor fewer rules. If we're going to be free, we have to take some chances that someone may get out of control and cause a ruckus. We can weather that, even as we did when a certain Belgian fellow disrupted the club with a tantrum several years back.
BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Div, III Corps Aog.