American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:11 am 

Hi Rich and friends.

I tried Ken's link and it didn't work - and then the reason dawned on me! [:p]

Ken's link has a Period after the "htm" suffix. - remove the period and the link works.[:)]

For Your convenience, the working link is http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-u ... a-name.htm

This is a common error where people type the addy out rather than cut 'n' paste it. It's a sign of a good education, to always end with a period or ? or ! [:p]

However, it completely buggers up Links! [B)] [xx(]

The site is <b><font color="red">EXCELLENT</font id="red"></b>! A Great Find Ken.[:D]

Rich . . . regarding colour pics of the Ships et al . . . couldn't they be used as well? If Ye haffta remain within the B/W format - a graphics program could be used to convert the Pic to a .bmp file. then save this in B/W format using MS Paintbox and then convert the B/W version back to .gif, .jpeg or whatever with your graphics program. there <i> should </i> be no deterioration in quality.

just my $0.019's worth. [:D] [:I]

Pat.[8D]

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:25 am 

Thanks Pat,

I'll try to make what changes I can, John likes to keep things "as is" for the most part in terms of graphics. But I can always add good pix to the file for more variety.

Rich

P.S. Yes I have that site in my favorites. I used it when designing Shiloh. The rebel gunboat are designed to look like the CS Louisana. But I couldn't find and good photos, only prints and paintings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:00 am 

Rich,

I ordered my copy of the game and it was promptly delivered, but the bad news is my wife intercepted it and tucked it away for my birthday on September 5 [:(]. The good news is the funds now come out of our 'gift' account rather than having to come from my allowance [:D] !

Seriously, as a Westerner myself, Shiloh has long been one of my favorite campaigns. I've been there several times throughout my life and look forward to going back next year. Especially since my Mississippi Valley Review this past Spring, I have come to appreciate all the river campaigns and the role of the gunboats.

An interesting side story: Several years ago, my reenacting unit attempted to participate in a reenactment of the Battle of Belmont. The people who owned the farm where the reenactment was to take place were nice enough to clear the field for us a week before the event. Unfortunately, instead of just mowing it short they PLOWED it. As fate would have it, there was plenty of rain that next week. Forget setting up camp -- guys just pulled their vehicles (barely) off the only road and slept in them. If you have never had the pleasure of trying to charge across a field where you sank halfway up to your knees and every time you lifted your foot it came up covered with an additional 15 pounds of black goo (the soil in that region is very rich) -- well, let's just say there were an amazingly few number of 'hits' taken that day. For some reason, nobody wanted to fall down [:)] ! The second day's reenactment was actually cancelled, which was just as well since so many reenactors went home Saturday night. Ever since, that event has been dubbed "The Battle of Mud-mont"!

I'm usually a very nit-picky, detailed guy but I have never found the kinds of problems some guys can find with these games. (A base missing on a single unit in a single scenario? I'm impressed!). After my birthday next month I'll load it up, but I doubt if I'll be able to add much to this research. I do, however, salute you for asking. And thanks (in advance) for putting this together.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:21 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />Rich,

I ordered my copy of the game and it was promptly delivered, but the bad news is my wife intercepted it and tucked it away for my birthday on September 5 [:(]. The good news is the funds now come out of our 'gift' account rather than having to come from my allowance [:D] !

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gen Mallory,

I knew there was a reason you are such an intelligent man...

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn, AOA
Born: September 6th

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:30 pm 

Hi Rich.

Have Ye been to this site?

http://www.civil-war.net/cw_images/files/navy.htm

Images from all categories of the ACW. Check out Navy Units and Ships, particularly image 47. Confederate Ram Atlanta After Being Captured - James River, VA, 1863 http://www.civil-war.net/cw_images/files/images/047.jpg

Some of the pics might be of assistance?

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:39 pm 

Pat- Nice picture. I'll try to add it and adjust the OOBs to use it.

Gen Mallory- I hope Sept 5th comes soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />Rich,

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory

Gen Mallory,

I knew there was a reason you are such an intelligent man...

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn, AOA
Born: September 6th

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Col. Lynn,

Not just <i>intelligent</i>, but a star-crossed <i>procrastinator</i>. I'm late for <i>everything</i>. My parents tell me I was due to be born about the third week of August. I was actually <i>BORN </i>late!

On top of that, I've heard September is "National Be Late for Something" month.

So I arrived late just so I could be born in "National Be Late for Something" month.

I never had a chance.

Actually, I hope to be late for my own funeral, as well [8D] !

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:26 am 

Has anyone tried playing the poor weather scenarios? If so, what do you think??

If you haven't tried them, they limit movement, and visibilty and cause more ammo problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:53 am 

Rich,

I'm presently playing the Mill Springs historical scenario (CS 101) and I find it very interesting. Reduce movement (inf:10 mp, cav:20 mp and art:8 mp) and reduce visibility (4 hexes) are good way to simulate the effect of rain and muddy roads. I didn't know about the ammo penalty; is the probability to run low or out of ammo is higher ?

A good way to simulate the effect of rain (wet powder) could be to reduce the firepower of the units, let's say 25% for example.

Thank you for your good work,

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:14 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harold Lajoie</i>
<br />Rich,

I'm presently playing the Mill Springs historical scenario (CS 101) and I find it very interesting. Reduce movement (inf:10 mp, cav:20 mp and art:8 mp) and reduce visibility (4 hexes) are good way to simulate the effect of rain and muddy roads. I didn't know about the ammo penalty; is the probability to run low or out of ammo is higher ?

A good way to simulate the effect of rain (wet powder) could be to reduce the firepower of the units, let's say 25% for example.

Thank you for your good work,

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Yes, I think I increased the low ammo probability, but maybe reducing fire power is a good idea also. I'll try it.

Rich W.

P.S. Has anyone noticed that I playtested and liked Frost's idea of arty formation changes being lowered to "3?" BTW, this feature is for all scns, not just poor weather ones. Actually, maybe they should be increased back to "4" for poor weather scns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:38 pm 
Hello Rich,
My opponent and I are having fun working our way through the full campaign and are presently at the (what if) Battle of Nashville. After getting ripped by the shore batteries without causing any casualties in return I sent my gunboats down river looking for targets with less bite. But after crossing the ford at Hydes Ferry I started wondering if a gunboat could actually cross that location. Does the ford represent a shallow ford or does it represent a ferry crossing where a gunboat could get through? If it is a ford it would be nice to make it inaccessible for the gunboats. And is Fort Beauregard at Bell's Bend where kelley's Point would be?

And on the same battle. It looks like the troops at Fort Beauregard are trapped in the fort w/o a way out except through disruption since the road doesn't fully enter the fort. It is going to be hard on my opponent since I have the forests to the south packed with cannon. I'd like to see a better opportunity for the rebs in the fort to escape if they choose though it would mean leaving their emplaced guns behind.

Just a couple of other notes: I think a two-day scenario would be nice for this Nashville battle.

Also if you have any plans to do any scenarios with the troops broken down further then regiments I hope you do a Belmont scenario.

Gen Sam Moon (retired)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:52 pm 

Hey Col. Pat,
Good site with outstanding pictures. In a couple of them I swear that I saw some with me in them[:)] during my younger days when I was a Seamen in the U.S. Navy[:D]

Lt. Col. Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:51 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sam Moon</i>
<br />Hello Rich,
My opponent and I are having fun working our way through the full campaign and are presently at the (what if) Battle of Nashville. After getting ripped by the shore batteries without causing any casualties in return I sent my gunboats down river looking for targets with less bite. But after crossing the ford at Hydes Ferry I started wondering if a gunboat could actually cross that location. Does the ford represent a shallow ford or does it represent a ferry crossing where a gunboat could get through? If it is a ford it would be nice to make it inaccessible for the gunboats. And is Fort Beauregard at Bell's Bend where kelley's Point would be?

And on the same battle. It looks like the troops at Fort Beauregard are trapped in the fort w/o a way out except through disruption since the road doesn't fully enter the fort. It is going to be hard on my opponent since I have the forests to the south packed with cannon. I'd like to see a better opportunity for the rebs in the fort to escape if they choose though it would mean leaving their emplaced guns behind.

Just a couple of other notes: I think a two-day scenario would be nice for this Nashville battle.

Also if you have any plans to do any scenarios with the troops broken down further then regiments I hope you do a Belmont scenario.

Gen Sam Moon (retired)

Hi Sam,

In regards to your last point, try scn 003. It breaks down the regiments into A and B units. In other words, the regiments are halved to create more units and flexibility.

The Hydes ferry crossing is not a ford, so yes, the gunboats can freely cross it.

Good point about Fort Beauregard. I'll fix that by creating a trial from the ford and through the abatis. I was afraid the fort would be too vulnerable if I left a road through the abatis. Troops in column can freely travel through abatis if there is a road or a trail.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:15 pm 
Thanks for the quick response Rich.

About Fort Beauregard in that Nasville scenario: My Confederate opponent jumped thr fort walls and found where the creek turned to a stream and crossed there. I thought it was creek all the way around so you might be better off not changing the trail.

I noticed there was a lot of chat on artillery sections in another thread. The sections approach works well in that Nashville scenario. The long range cannon are being used to knock out enemy defensive guns as the infantry arrives and organizes for the attack. If there weren't sections you would probably have to shorten the range for the Union cannon and I wouldn't be able to shell my opponents batteries with impunity. : )

Gen Sam Moon (retired)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:05 pm 

Fort Beauregard is a tough nut, try fighting it out next time.

In my upcoming patch, I plan to rotate the Confederate guns one click so they can cover Belmont.

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sam Moon</i>
<br />Thanks for the quick response Rich.

About Fort Beauregard in that Nasville scenario: My Confederate opponent jumped thr fort walls and found where the creek turned to a stream and crossed there. I thought it was creek all the way around so you might be better off not changing the trail.

I noticed there was a lot of chat on artillery sections in another thread. The sections approach works well in that Nashville scenario. The long range cannon are being used to knock out enemy defensive guns as the infantry arrives and organizes for the attack. If there weren't sections you would probably have to shorten the range for the Union cannon and I wouldn't be able to shell my opponents batteries with impunity. : )

Gen Sam Moon (retired)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next