American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:11 am 

BTW I just noted a cute little error in the Shiloh OOB ... "Cresent's Regiment". Now, that's not a regiment named after a guy called Cresent, but rather the New Orleans <i>Crescent Regiment</i>, named after their parent city's nickname, the Crescent City.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:23 am 

Hi Rich,

I just loaded Shiloh and was looking at the maps. I noticed (or at least on my machine) that in "The Mother of Battles" there are
violet colored hexes and half hexes around the two objectives. I
love the music....

sincerely,

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:02 am 

Walter- Thanks, I'll change that regimental name.

RE Delay- Hmmm, I can't seem to be able to duplicate that problem. Can you post a screen shot on this thread? Does anyone else see this same thing?

Rich W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:04 am 

Rich,

I would have a better change flying the Challenger than posting a screenshot....I just don't know how to do that at the moment. I did it at work which required Paint but Paint doesn't work on my home computer at the moment. If no one else is experiencing this, then it must be my computer? I wouldn't think the disc because everything else appears fine. The TS Games had Snapshots which I can't find...

Thanks for your reply.

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:03 am 

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley

Sorry for being so formal . . but I don't know your first name . . . Ray, p'raps? [?]

Anyway, why not start a game up, using the scenario in Question and mail it to Rich as if Ye were playing it?

That way He'll see the prob - give him the {aa/bb co-ordinates} and if there's a prob with the game - he'll know.

Otherwise it sounds like a Monitor Problem to me - is Yours a new VDU or m'be a li'll on the . . . . ahem . . . "pensionable" side? [:p]

Just a Thought in passing Chaps.

Best of Luck sorting it. [:D]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:00 am 

I use the Print Screen button (on the keyboard above the Home, End and Delete keys) a lot for taking snapshots of whatever's on the screen (ALT + Print Screen "snaps" just the current window.) This snapshot can then be pasted into another program such as word, paint, paint shop, etc - for word it's as simple as a right click and paste, and the word document can be saved like any other word document.

Lt. Gen Niall Murphy
4/2/VIII Corps, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm 

Thanks guys for the paste lesson..... Like I said in another post...I'm about ready for the nursing home......Rich, I e-mailed a paste shot and a battle file to you. let me know....

Thanks,

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:05 pm 

I never received your email. Can you paste it here on this thread?

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RE Daley</i>
<br />Thanks guys for the paste lesson..... Like I said in another post...I'm about ready for the nursing home......Rich, I e-mailed a paste shot and a battle file to you. let me know....

Thanks,

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm 

I did a quick look to make the change you need, but I can't find the 52nd Tenn. Since I don't have every unit memorized, help me out with where it is.

Thanks

Rich

NEVERMIND, I found it. Wither's Div [:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />Rich,

So far the game seems ok to me, no glitches in the engine and the defensive fire seems better with the final fire before melee option.

In doing some research for a color units.bmp I have found a couple errors in the oobs.

McCulloch's Cav in the New Madrid, New Madrid Polk Dorn Grant and Shiloh & New Madrid OOB's has the following entry

U 401 4 I k 37 01 McCulloch's Cav(dm)

the I for unittype with the 01 for its 3D icon will result in the unit disappearing when placed in column since there is no infantry column in the 01 position.

The same problem exists with this union unit in the Flotilla Brigade in the same oobs.

U 87 4 I R 73 00 Cav Company

Finally I realize that using the B/W pictures allows you to use the same pictures for both sides but is does produce a problem for those of us wishing to make our own color units.bmp. I've gotten around the artillery by using pictures of guns without any side although the use of the same picture ID to represent different gun types in the oob causes other problems. However there are three instances in the Shiloh OOB's that are going to be a real problem. There is one reb unit, the 52nd Tennessee using picture 20 and another the 28th Tennessee, using 21 while all other units pointing to these pictures are union. Also picture 92 is being used for both union and rebel gunboats.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:57 pm 

So far, these are a list of completed changes:

<b>Changes for Campaign Shiloh 1.01

- Updated engine to reflect the melee rule change that prevents Leaders, supply wagons,
and limbered arty from being used to block retreats.
- Corrected all Shiloh maps with elevation height problem in the Tennessee River.
- Added a trail to allow units to evacuate Fort Beauregard in Nashville Maps.
- Corrected wrong supply wagon nationality in scn 130.
- Adjusted Belmont scenarios so shore based arty can cover Belmont.
- Corrected OOB's: Some incorrect names, number aberrations, 3D Icons, picture numbers used by some units </b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:51 pm 

Rich,

Graphics issue is resolved. I did neglect (I feel so ashamed) to tell you that I did load the "Miniature Regiment" graghics. I reloaded the original map files before I posted my issue and stopped there. Tonight, I reloaded the entire game and guess what......no violet!!!! I'm sorry I wasted some of your time and will be more through in the future.

Thanks,
Russ

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:02 pm 

I'm glad you have it working.

Rich

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RE Daley</i>
<br />Rich,

Graphics issue is resolved. I did neglect (I feel so ashamed) to tell you that I did load the "Miniature Regiment" graghics. I reloaded the original map files before I posted my issue and stopped there. Tonight, I reloaded the entire game and guess what......no violet!!!! I'm sorry I wasted some of your time and will be more through in the future.

Thanks,
Russ

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:52 pm 
Rich,

Have been having a blast with Shiloh!!

One thing I have found in a few of the scenarios is that sometimes (not always) unlimbered artillery seems to move after its been meeled.
I noticed this most recntly in the Campaign during Logans Crossroads. I meeled against 6 guns,240 supplies and 1 Leader (Union) with 518 CAV (REB). Of course I won but only got the supplies and 4 guns. The learder and the other 2 guns moved. I thought arty had to be limbered to move? Is it possible that the horses just drug the guns? I know for a fact these guns were unlimbered because they were firing on my infantry the same turn.

Not sure if all this means anything, maybe just a one time quirk, just thought I'd put it out and see if any others were seeing the same thing.

Dan

MAJ D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:57 pm 

Hi,

Unless the guns were limbered, it would be unlikely. This engine has been tried and tested for these kinds of bugs and I have never encountered one like your describing. If in fact the guns were unlimbered, it would be a bug.

Rich

P.S. I'm glad your enjoying Shiloh, that's my main goal.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.H.Smith</i>
<br />Rich,

Have been having a blast with Shiloh!!

One thing I have found in a few of the scenarios is that sometimes (not always) unlimbered artillery seems to move after its been meeled.
I noticed this most recntly in the Campaign during Logans Crossroads. I meeled against 6 guns,240 supplies and 1 Leader (Union) with 518 CAV (REB). Of course I won but only got the supplies and 4 guns. The learder and the other 2 guns moved. I thought arty had to be limbered to move? Is it possible that the horses just drug the guns? I know for a fact these guns were unlimbered because they were firing on my infantry the same turn.

Not sure if all this means anything, maybe just a one time quirk, just thought I'd put it out and see if any others were seeing the same thing.

Dan

MAJ D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject: Re: Campaign Shiloh
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:29 pm 

I have some question to Shiloh:

1. What Belmont scenario is recommend to play?
At least in theory it looks like the version with breastwork is shifting the balance to the union side as all one has to do is hang in there till the 2nd turn after entering the hexes around the camp and you get not only the forest cover bonus but also the bonus from the breastwork.
The other version with abatis is the opposite with the union still getting the forest bonus but now the hexes around the camp have abatis and this makes the Union take higher casualties than in the breastwork version.

2. What Mill Springs scenario is recommend to play if I want the weather to have an impact on the game?
I ask because the later added winter 1861-2_Weather.pdt has no weather for almost all(except the Alternate April scenarios) Mill Springs scenarios.
But in the Mill Springs.pdt there are less movement points given to all units and the Hours of twilight are set to "13" with Twilight visibility to "- 4", ACWCO Engineering Department describes that a negative value, causes poor weather message but does that have any other effect? I assume all these changes are there to simulate the weather

BTW that makes also the "Weather_MS_Battle of Mill Springs (Hist).scn" scenario Alternate although it's listed as historical , maybe Rich wants to correct that and also adjust the text in the scenario selection dialog as it also speaks of "(Note) Visibility is limited due to a rainstorm." what doesn't work with the "1861-2_Weather.pdt" as there is no weather for for January 1862 in it.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."