American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:17 am 

39. Ask me next year, and I'll give the same answer!

Depending, of course, on what day next year... [8)]

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "Yankee Thrasher"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:36 am 

40 here and I've been involved in the on-line gaming community for five years.

And yes, I have a whole stack of Avalon Hill Board games (including Gettysburg and Bull Run) around the house somewhere

Colonel Philip Roubaud
1/XX
AOC
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:38 am 

[:D] 56 going on 19. I have two grandsons 14 and 13 who will sit down with BG Out of the Mist or something even smaller and they will move counters around for a while but ther attention wavers a bit and they easily flip to another program or to the T.V. or a book or.. well ya get the idea. I got them interested just by watching me and explaining the mechanics and being computer savvy they picked it up rather easily. As to their passion I dont know. When I started(44 years ago!!) I was hooked right off playing Avalon Hills Gettysburg by the hour. Perhaps they too will become devotees as they get older. I need to do more minatures with them as the visuals seem important.

Field Lt. Tony Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:54 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />58 and I've not noticed a problem with younger players signing up as I've seen plenty of those young 40 somethings playing the games.

Ernie, I'm surprised that you play. I served a tour in 'Nam and have zero interest in playing a game of it. Since you're old enough to have served in 'Nam, Korea, WWII, WWI, ACW, Napoleonic Wars, and all of the others back to the initial fall of Babylon, I'm shocked that you can relive them.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh, yeah! Babylon was a fun place, though. (But Quang Tri, wasn't.[;)])

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:01 am 

34! But this is hardly something that has come later in life - the board games had me hooked in my early teens, computers just made it easier!

General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:07 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br />Image
General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Laub they let you become a full General...lol...I forget they did a while back...hehehe...sorry. (Goes back to chair in the corner.)

<center><b>Brigadier General Scott Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Army of Northern Virginia (On Furlough)

https://give.redcross.org/?rcohome800helpnow

Or

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/an ... urricanes/

Please if you can.

I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1st Inaugural Address
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:21 am 

30 years old. Never did the minatures but did some board games and started on the computer games in middle school (late 1980's).

BGen Jim Pfluecke
II/III AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:30 am 

40, born in 1965. I used to play traditional tabletop wargames at school back in the 70s ... until all the other boys switched over to fantasy D&D instead and there was no one left to play. Participated in a few D&D games for want of wargaming opponents, but didn't much like it. Then effectively stopped playing wargames for about a decade until I came across the Battleground games, probably in early 1997.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:21 am 
Gents,
44 years of age. Been playing wargames, paper, miniatures, and computer since I was about 15. Had a JROTC instructor in High School. Sgt MacCarthy. Good ole Sgt Mac. He was in the 4th Arm in WWII. I Used to skip lunch and listen to his stories of the War. Played AH ASL for many years as well as several of the other Avalon Hill games. The Puter games are great though and this club is the best part.

Cheers,Caleb

Lt Gen Caleb Vicks
1/1/IICorps/AoG/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:42 am 
29 here

Lt. Gen. Chris Cross
Western Theater Commander
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:23 pm 
Sirs,
46 and one month from 47. Have two combat patches, served in the regular army (cav scout) and now in the guard, from transportation to infantry to mortars and now the battalion NBC NCO. I had a ten year break in service, have another deployment next year and could have retired by now had I not gotten out after the 1st Gulf War deployment, doh!
Always an interest in military history, my reading preferences always about military history, sparked by living with my grandfather until 6, he was an officer in WWI, always telling me stories about the history of this country and my grandmother about our ancestors who fought in the Civil War, her grandfather and his 3 brothers, he was wounded at Chickamauga in the arm, later a sheriff in Texas, and then a state representive in Oklahoma.
I started with Avalon Hill boardgames and changed from mac home computer to pc just to play the battleground games.
Took my PC and games to a Sinai deployment and continued internet play, some of our young guys knew of and had played the games. I got some to hot seat play and there is an interest , but of course most preferred the X-Box I brought along.
I will take my pc and games on the next deployment, there are always busy hectic days, then there is always dull intense boredom. I will have 18 months with the yung'ins and know some will be attracted to the internet play aspect.
I have many books on military history from all periods and recently acquired Don Troaini's Civil War, Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War, and The Civil War Art of Mort Kunstler, these are all stunningly picturesque books to look at (and plan on scanning some pics to my opponents to get more into the era), but also enjoy the analysis of Shelby Foote, Stephen W. Sears, James McPhearson, etc.

COL. David Ray
1st BDE JEB Stuart's "Immortal's" Cavalry Division
I Corps, ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:00 pm 
I figured I was one of the yungins at 26 (born in September 1979, so my wife teases me about being an "old" man and a "child of the 70s"), but I already see a 19 and a 23.

I got hooked on history at a very early age by an uncle who knows nearly everything about history and was living outside of Atlanta at the time, so when we would visit they would take me to the Cyclorama and he would tell me all of these stories about the war, and from there I was a Civil War buff. I started out using 25mm plastic soldiers and I probably had over 2,000 of them - infantry, cavalry, artillery - that I would play with on an old model railroad foam board about 3' x 3' square. Then I had an Avalon Hill "Across Five Aprils" board game that I would play 99% by myself (for some reason the Rebs always won, I have no idea why!) I also had an old Apple IIe game called "The Blue and The Grey" (I think?) that was a computer tactical level CW game, but very primitive and the AI was bad and the graphics were terrible and yet I played it for hours upon hours upon hours...

When I got my first "modern" computer in 1998 I discovered the BG games at an Electronic Boutique and one day searching the internet, I found the ACWGC. I jined up and spent a couple of years in the III Corps ANV before having to take a LOA while I finished college, and then rejoined two years ago after completely forgetting everything I ever learned about playing these PBEM games. [:0] I'm now almost back to my previous rank of Colonel, and it has only taken two short years! (Gotta stop playing so many 400 turn battles that never end! [8)])

So I have a love of history that pulled me into the games. I will play a first person shooter, and do love to play Madden football, but I prefer the thinking involved in these tactical and strategic PBEM contests. Perhaps if we taught more children how to play chess and enjoy it, they would grow up to enjoy our games a little more.

Am I crazy to think that many of the members of the club are or at one time did enjoy playing chess?

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:02 pm 

I'm 38 but was into miniatures and then boardgames in my teens.

My 8 year old son plays Age of Empires and lots of XBOX games, but has just started to see the attraction of slightly more serious games like Combat Mission and Total War, as well as flight sims. Of course our turn/hex based games with poor graphics cannot compete with all the above UNLESS you have a genuine interest in military history and are fascinated in simulating it on the pc. Our games are of course fun but for me it is the interest in historical simulation that keeps me hooked. I can't see our hobby being anything more than a minority thing, but of course we do have to make sure that those who have the same interests as us discover wargaming.

General Antony Barlow
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:17 am 

I am 55. My first wargame at age 12 was Avalon Hill's Gettysburg(hex) and graduated to Richard Berg's TSS, SPI's GBACW and Yaquinto's Ironclads, Talonsoft's BG series, and now HPS.

Col. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:17 am 

In november I will be 36... Didn't see the time fly...
[:)]

<font color="green">
<b>BG David Guégan</b>, Brittany Volunteers,
<b>Army of the Cumberland </b>
</font id="green">

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next