American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:08 am 
Only 67 [:D]

"Tell Them Im Coming And Hell`s Coming With Me"

AOA. 2nd Corp. 2nd Div. 1st Infantry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:04 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tisgro</i>
<br />I'm 27 so I'm on the young end ....

Lt. Col. Lynn, was that Apple IIe game possibly Blue Powder/Gray Smoke? If so, I had the same one and absolutely wore it out as well. Scenarios on Antietam, Gettysburg, and Chickamauga if I recall ...

Maj. Tim Isgro
6th/1st/III/AoG
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

YES! That's it! Been years since I saw the box or anything and the name slipped my mind. I knew it had blue and grey in the title... Wasn't it bad? lol [:D] But we didn't know any better back then, and wore it out just the same... [B)]

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:31 am 

33 years old for me...and I picked up my copy of AH Gettysburg '77 when I was 9, shortly after my first trip to Gettysburg!!!

Col. Rudy Zodda
4th "Wildcat Brigade"/Pickett's 2nd Division/ I Corps/ ANV
Regiment D'Artois/ Brigade Du Drucour/Troupes Royales

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:08 am 

BGen Mark Kibbey

2/I/II Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:34 am 

44 years old. I was never into the board games, miniatures were my thing I used to have hundreds of them and then the kids came along and away they went. I collect books on military history now, have about 700 in total.

Lt General Malcolm Hunt
II Division "The Grey Immortals"
II Corps
AoG
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:11 pm 
Guess I should add in my age. 50. Been playing board games since the 60s, only found it very hard to find opponents. Started computer gaming with Atomic Games V4Victory series. Anybody still remember them? They were actually quite good and had a very nice simulataneous movement phases and the computer did the battles that resulted each turn. Was great for PBEM. Much better than our turn based system we have been stuck with. Odd how we all use the turn based system from board games and not the now old fashioned simultaneous moves. Probably still own 100 board games and every talonsoft and HPS game. Do both ACW here and Napoleonic in the NWC. Great fun and all the people I have met, both online and in person have been great. PBEM feature of these games has saved the hobby I think. [:)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:55 am 
I’m 47. My war gaming started when I was 5. My dad owned a hobby shop and I would frequently spend Saturdays there with him. I used to sweep up the shop as well as a 5 y.o. could and he would let me take something from the shelves as payment (though I suspect it was mostly just to give me something to keep me out of trouble). Aside from models, one of the things I treasured in his shop was the plastic Civil War soldiers. They were only about an inch high and I accumulated a good pile of them over time. My friends and I used to line them up across from one another and shoot rubber bands at the other guy’s men. The last guy to have a man standing was the winner! (It’s funny but I don’t recall guys shooting rubber bands at one another in Carlisle last week at the Antietam miniatures battle.) [:)]Tell me I’m not the only one to do this!

I was also a chess player from almost the same age. I played chess steadily until my 20’s and then reached a point of boredom with it all. I then discovered an Avalon Hill game called Diplomacy where I became active in the pbm world. Through that game others introduced me to the wide collection of war games that AH offered. Through my love of history and strategy, war gaming has stayed with me. It’s really the love of military history that keeps me interested. I think there are plenty of young people who love history. I see them all the time when I visit battlefields. We need to find better ways to introduce them to “our worldâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:48 am 
I am 38, but sometimes feeling like 8, sometimes like 18.

BG Thomas Borling

1/2/I/AotP
Robinson's Young Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:28 pm 

Glad to see I was not the oldest to post. I am only 62 and didn't get to play games when growing up so I am making up for it. [;)]

General Willie Passmore AoP

Willie Passmore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:38 pm 

Gentlemen!

I do believe that I have uncovered the Record holder for the youngest Member of the ACWGC. He will singly-handedly lower the Club average age by about a decade!

Gentlemen - I give You . . . Aaron Sanson . . aged 12 ! [8D]

http://www.wargame.ch/board/acw/pop_pro ... ay&id=1735

He has just within the last day or so joined the ACWGC

Might I suggest that we all pull out the Stops and each send him a li'll welcome note? [:)] Every encouragement should be given to this fine young Cadet, so that He might consider out-lasting the lot of Us!!! [:o)]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:56 pm 

im 23 studying Law[:)]

Fld. Lt. Przemek Niedzielski
2nd Brigade
1st Division
2nd Corps
Army of the Missisipi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:27 am 

Pat: When I was an instructor at West Point I had a cadet who was 10. He didn't stay long with the club. Guess he didn't like turn based games.

Being his instructor wasn't easy. While everyone was having a grand ol' time at the Tavern, I was across the street buying the kid ice cream.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:55 am 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:38 pm 
Gents,
I’m 42, and a few days away from finishing 20 years in the US Navy. That’ll bring the average down by 1/50.

As with Dirk Gross, Avalon Hill’s Richthofen’s War was the first serious wargame I learned well enough to have mastered the rules, at age 13 or so. What drove me was a fascination for WW1 aviation, which still lingers. Just bought a copy of <i>Under the Guns of the Red Baron</i>, by Norman Franks & Hal Giblin & Nigel McCrery, a detailed documentation of <i>der Rote Kampfflieger</i>’s combat kills, with photos and bios of each one of them. Three of them were only 18 years old.

Around age 12 or so, a neighbor had just bought an SPI or AH WW2 submarine game, and after spending a couple of hours studying the rather thick rulebook, I sadly advised him to return it to the store and buy something simpler. I was into Milton Bradley’s Battle Cry and their WW1 flying game, both rather primitive vehicles, but close enough for me at the time.

At age 14, I became seriously interested in chess, and spent a great deal of time in the books with that. To this day I remain a frustrated “Aâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:55 pm 

That average is on its way up again!

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
I/XVIII, AoJ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next