American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:26 pm 

Guys,

Has anyone successfully isolated Fort Donelson and won the game with that tactic??

I doubt it can be done with the limited number of units, but even if it can be done, how could they continue the isolation and have enough units to still attack. If I were the reb, I would welcome someone trying it!!!

Though this can be easily corrected with a supply source, I think it would be interesting for someone to try it and win. So I'm inclined to not try to make sure it can't be done. Bring it on I say.

Rich

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:42 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Guys,

Has anyone successfully isolated Fort Donelson and won the game with that tactic??

I doubt it can be done with the limited number of units, but even if it can be done, how could they continue the isolation and have enough units to still attack. If I were the reb, I would welcome someone trying it!!!

Though this can be easily corrected with a supply source, I think it would be interesting for someone to try it and win. So I'm inclined to not try to make sure it can't be done. Bring it on I say.

Rich

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

In the campaign game I'm not sure it can be done with only the 12 game turns provided. Maybe a few more turns can be added to the scenario to allow this tactic. It would be a good option to have for the Union player and be more of a historical outcome forcing the Confederate player to come out and fight or sit behind his fortifications and rot.[:)]

Not sure how many turns are in the battle scenario as I haven't played that one yet.

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:48 am 

Boyd,

Are you looking at Fort Henry or Fort Donelson? I can't recall any 12 turn FD games.

But I don't believe the Union has enough units in any of the FD scenarios that would allow that tactic to be successful. Remember, if the link is broken so is the tactic, and they still need to have an attacking force.

So I guess no one has tried it.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:15 am 

Hi Rich,

Well as a Reb who tried it and lost I don't recommend it.

In my current Shiloh campaign I withdrew to a line between the creeks thinking it would be a solid position, outnumbered something like 3:2 I thought I could hold out for the relatively few turns that would be left by the time my opponent was in position to attack, even if I became isolated.

So much for the theory, his artillery pounded me, disrupting and routing units, this meant that when on one flank he did attack my units were in no position to resist. In the end I submitted a Termination bid offering him the Major Victory in the hope that I could save some troops for further battles.

As regards a supply source for the Rebs, I suppose it boils down to what supplies did the garrison historically have, If they had enough to resist a short siege type battle then I would give them one, If not then next time as the Reb I will/would try to save my army at the expense of holding the fort and any objectives.

Lt General Malcolm Hunt
III Corps
AoG
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:42 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Boyd,

Are you looking at Fort Henry or Fort Donelson? I can't recall any 12 turn FD games.

But I don't believe the Union has enough units in any of the FD scenarios that would allow that tactic to be successful. Remember, if the link is broken so is the tactic, and they still need to have an attacking force.

So I guess no one has tried it.

Rich

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sorry Rich, I was thinking of Fort Henry...getting my forts mixed up.[:D]

Re: Fort Henry though, my Union opponent and I just thought the Union player could have used more than 12 turns in the scenario to give him the opportunity/time to properly invest the fort and attempt to storm it from an angle of his choosing.

Haven't tried the "surrounding" that tactic yet with Fort Donelson, but it sounds like a good idea.[:)]

Thanks,

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:36 pm 

I am not sure that unless the Union could have passed the Forts guns on the river, that they could actualy ahve cut all supplies off. Now establishing batteries on the river might have kept Confederate ships from supplying the fort.

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".