American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A toast
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:58 am 

The grizzled officer strides into the tavern, a shiny new rank insignia with four stars evident on his shoulders as they stand out against the old faded uniform. A large sergeant follows behind him a heavy cask on his shoulder. “Put the cask on the bar sergeant.â€

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:04 am 

I'll second that General Miller. To the out-going and in-comming commanding officers of the AoS. Fine Rebel whippers both!!

Huzzah!!

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:10 am 
Hurrah! for Gen. Walter! Hurrah for Gen. Miller!! and Hurrah for the Union!!

Lt. Zac Durant
2nd Brigade, 3rd Div
VIII Corps, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:38 am 

A snort of John Barleycorn for the new and the old.
A drink or two will do
One for the bold and one for the few.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:54 am 

Well said General Miller. Although I never realized until now how closely your real life parallels any "roleplaying" you may do....wink.

Congrats.

General Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:38 pm 

A hush descends on the room as the Confederate General strides in, a tale of a thousand thousand yankee defeats following in his wake.

"Well, General, good to see the revolving door of yankee commanders is still well-oiled and rotating nicely! Just thought I'd stop by and welcome you to your new command. I hope y'all will continue to keep the commissary well-supplied as we rely on capturing your wagons to feed our troops. Though I would request y'all not spend so much on baked beans. Our suttlers can't even give'em away!

Well, sir, be seein' you and your boys on the battlefield. Today I'll drink your health and wish you a happy New Year. But come tomorrow, well...best you not think about that tonight. Sweet dreams, General."

The Southern gentleman strode out the door and into the night, disappearing immediately into the falling snow, a silent threat moving in the dark.

It was only then that a few noticed a drawing had been made on the bar. The large sergeant left the cask to take a closer look. Scratching his chin, confused by the picture of a wall and the head of a man with an overly large nose, he half turned and asked,

"General, who the hel* is Kilroy?!"

The sound of a wild neighing followed by a terrific crash startled everyone back into the present. Unsteady footsteps approached the door, and then in fell the Southern General, his uniform ruined, his balding head now covered in mud. Dragging himself to his feet, he shook an angry fist at the assembled Northerners and yelled,

"Alright! Which one of you yahoos loosened the brakes on mah horse??!!"

[:o)]

=========================

Congrats to both fine officers!

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:57 pm 

Gen Turner,

Not sure where you get the revolving door idea. I joined the AoS in 2000 under Gen Reynolds who I believe formed the AoS although I can't be sure of that or when it was first formed. Perhaps Gen Reynolds, Martens or Brooks could provide that information.

As I recall Gen Love took over in 2001 and held the command until 2004 when Gen Walter took over. That's 3 commanders in 6 years, and two in the last 5. I don't think any other ACWGC army on either side can boast of having less turnover in command at the army level, at least not that I'm aware of.[:)]

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:23 pm 

Congrats sir,

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:56 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>A Confederate officer enters the tavern, a fine new uniform replete in shiny brass.....unsoiled by the dust and gore of the battle field, a uniform taken out of storage only on occasion of great import. It hangs in stark contrast on the frame of a man worn and bent but surly not broken by three years of victory and defeat.

He steps to the bar and taking a full glass from the union sergeant there, he turns to face Generals Walter and Miller....
He lifts the glass pausing in salute, <i>the Gaelic toast,</i> Slainte passing his lips just before the glass's contents pass in the opposite direction.......as the liquid's heat slowly burns it's way to his gullet a broad smile forms on the whiskered face.....turning he places the empty glass on the bar and slowly walks back into the night.</b></font id="beige">

<font color="blue"><b>Brig.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:11 pm 

Congrats to Gen Walter, and good hunting in his "retirement" - the Rebs better watch out now that he'll be in the front lines more [:)]

Congrats to Gen Miller too - it's good to have him back in a command position again!

Lt. Gen Niall Murphy
4/2/VIII Corps, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:46 am 

In a freezing cold winter night a senior general officer steps from the train from Washington and walks straight to the tavern. Entering, he brushes snow flakes from his greatcoat and, accidentally, also the dust that speaks of too many hours spent in seemingly never aired office rooms in the capital, listening to government clerks' complaints about the inordinate amount of shot and shell, bullets and shoes the Army of the Shenandoah has consumed in the past two years. "Bureaucrats, what a breed!", the general thinks; "good to be in the field again". Nevertheless, it seems official Washington was not entirely unpleased; as the general places his greatcoat on an empty chair near the bar, a shiny new ribbon becomes visible on the chest of his worn-out uniform coat: the stars of the Outstanding Service Medal a second time right under the three conspicuous (and also rather worn) Medal of Honor ribbons.

But where is everyone? Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of celebration, in honor of the new commander? "Barkeep, there!" the general hollers in a voice that sounds as if it were also covered with all the dust of Washington's offices. "Where are my officers; I mean: General Miller's officers? Anyway, the Army of the Shenandoah?"

"But general, sir, back in the field whipping Rebs, of course, just as they always do. Wouldn't you want it that way?" And he smiles as he places a well-filled glass of Whisky before the general.

"Damn your impudence, old fellow", the general retorts almost automatically. But then, as he realizes that the man is right, a smile comes to his bearded face as well. He downs the whisky, orders another, and thinks, "what a fine time was this, and what a fine army I had the honor to command". Still, what a pity he missed the party.

"Well, I think I can handle a few more drinks, even though the place is a bit wanting in entertainment tonight. This new assignment--what was it about anyway, guns??--can wait until the morrow." [:)]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
Reserve Artillery, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 am 

Congrats and thanks to Gen Walter, who indeed sets a high standard for command.

Best wishes to Gen Miller as he embarks on his latest adventure.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS
"Defenders of the Right"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:09 am 

I've not served under a finer officer than Gen. Walter. The time and energy he has devoted to the AoS, the War College, and the Club in general are truly outstanding. I've got a fine new pilsner, named the "Blue Blitz", in his honor, to share with all on hand here.

Lt. Gen. Matt Perrenod
<i>The Blue Ghost</i>
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:49 am 

A haggard man wearing Federal Blue enters the bar and looks around. As he stomps the snow from his boots he spies a pair of dirty bare feet sticking out from under a long wooden table. He chuckles and states "Ah, looks as if General Simms is already here". "Barkeep, a round in General Walter's honor sir, on General Simm's tab of course". "General Walter to your health, this here army wears your mark on it, it's been a pleasure servin under yer command" "General Miller you've got some mighty big boots to fill but you're the man for the job", "and now I'm off, got to go meet the boys down in Tennessee, some place named Pittsburgh Landing". "I expect it will ne nice and quiet there this spring of 1862".

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:57 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />
(all Yanks need lots of help!)

Bill Peters
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bill,

Just like a civilian -- stirring the Yanks when you're not planning to be around to finish the fight [:)]!

My congratulations to General Walter. We'll just have to pass the word on to the boys to keep their heads down.

If General Miller brings to the AoS the top-notch leadership he has been portraying in his multiplayer games, we Rebs are really going to have some catching up to do [:(] .

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army