American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vandalism at Gettysburg
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:15 am 

Forgive the language but some sick mindless bastards decided to carry out acts of violence at Gettysburg National Military Park.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06047/656355.stm

Lt General Malcolm Hunt
III Corps
AoG
CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:15 am 

You know, I am planning on traveling to Gettysburg this Summer. I find this absolutely disgusting. The probablility that it was just a bunch of stupid and bored kids who don't even recognize this for the blasphemy that it is makes it even worse...

[B)][}:)][:(!][V][xx(][:(]

Brig. Gen. Philip Roubaud
1/XX
AOC
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:46 am 

It is the same stupid mentality that some have to vandalize graveyards.

I live across the street from a very large (and old) cemetary that actually has the graves of several of my relatives, including one of my GrGr Grandfather and a few WWI veteran relatives.

There many of very old stones knocked over. Many are from the mid 1700's that are pushed over for no known reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:01 am 

These stupid F&^KING BASTARD should be shown the smoking end of a S&W and hang their sorry a$#es up for others to see what will happen to them if they try anything like the ones hanging[:(!]. My wife and kids were up there and Emmittsburg three weeks ago, couldn't go my self do to work. Go Dixie[:)]

Respectfully,

Lt. Col. Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:31 am 

Hi Chaps!

It always saddens Me and sickens my stomach to see something like this.

Whilst I <b>DO </b>condemn actions such as these and I <b>DO </b>believe that those who commit them are and should be held to be - responsible for them and accountable ( thru' fines, Community Service and if repeated, with incarceration) - these deplorable desecrations - be it of Graves, Monuments or Places worthy of Respect from some sections of Society, - are symptomatic (imho) of a failing on <b>OUR </b>part.

These monuments should be allowed to stand, unmolested for all time . . . yet someone has seen fit to desecrate them. Why?

1. Lack of Education . . . A Person, properly educated in the History of their Country and also educated in the importance of tolerating and respecting Others' opinions and values, could never perpetrate actions such as these.

2. Lack of Inclusion . . . . Why knock 'em down? "<i>Because they were there</i>." Irregardless of what they stand/stood for, they were Everyman's possessions - not those of a selfish clique, to destroy on a whim. To aid, abet and take part in such destruction, the people involved have to feel that they are apart from their Society.

3. Lack of Understanding and Compassion. Unless I miss my Mark completely . . all the monuments destroyed were "Yank" Monuments? I have read quite a lot about the aftermath of the Civil War and in particular, a book I would insist is a must read for all Americans in particular " Confederates in the Attic" (sent to me by my bestest Friend in the Club), whch suggests theat the "Great North/South Divide", still exists in modern America. This vandalism is indicative of a subliminal Intolerance of Others' values and beliefs. Could it be that this vandalism is an expression (misguided) of "Southron" patriotism??

So . . . where I am heading with this is:

Whoever did this should be punished and re-educated.

This is a symptom of a malaise in Modern Society - not just American Society - All Society.

It is our responsibilty as Adults - to pass on to Our Youth, the Respect that We feel as Members of this fine Club, for the Men and Women that took part in the ACW and to ensure that the Flame of this Respect is kept Forever - <b><font color="yellow">Burning Brightly</font id="yellow"></b>.

Without the Sacrifice - on both sides - made by the Gallant Foes at Gettysburg, America, and indeed The World, would not be the Place We all know and live in Today.

If there is enough interest expressed here by ACWGC members - I will explore the mechanisms involved in making a contribution towards the Reconstruction and repairs necessary to these monuments.

Sing Out people . . . who's prepared to crack open their wallets and donate a few Bucks towards re-building these Monuments for these American and World Patriots!

[8D]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Brigadier General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:44 am 

Shootings too good for them, I vote we bring back the stocks and have them spend some time in the town square and if they turn out to be kids I vote mommy and daddy are put right along side them.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:47 pm 

This is inexcusable and practically right in my own hometown. Perhaps, it's the fact that I'm getting old but it appears that there are more "punks" in this area than ever before. Well, what go's around will come around and it's just a matter of time before the morning of our own judgement day dawns.....

Lt.Col. R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:38 pm 

Put em over the wheel![:(!] On the other hand, we all were wild kids at one point, so I guess we'll keep em away from the firing squad. I know! We'll have em play Kennon Whitehead at Gettysburg. That's always torture, a slow and painful death you know is coming and you can't stop it no matter how you try.[:D]

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
Army of the Potomac, USA!
"The Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:08 am 
Yes it is sick and twisted that people do this kind of thing, next thing you'll noticed as the items stolen will turn up at some distant ACW relic show for sell at a high price. If anyone cathes em please by the piece and return it to the GNPS or contact the police, I remember when some people did the same thing at chickamauga a few years ago some people stole some pieces of a monument and sold it for 100 dollars to some guy who heard about the act and turned over the bought item to CNPS. So i'll keep a look out for those items if they come up at our local ACW relic show here in Charleston comin up.

Chadd M. Vail

Chadd M. Vail
10th S.C. Infantry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:55 am 

Gettysburg vandalism triggers outrage -$36,000 reward for defilers

"We all hope you will secure the maniac who injured the monuments. Unless he was insane, a rope's end would be the proper thing for him." - R.B. Reath

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06059/662304.stm

Col Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA