American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Computer problem!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am 
For years I have always used the E drive on my computer to load and play my games. This is a DVD burner and the D drive is a DVD drive. I have tried to load up the latest move in my game and it looks like the E drive has died. What fools me is that the D drive that works fine on everything else will not play the game, it keeps telling me to put the disc in the D drive! Has anyone else come across this problem? I need to find a solution as I cant afford a new drive until I get paid in a weeks time and things are about to get interesting (I hope) between myself and Gen Burke in our game. I am no computer genius so keep things simple for this Southerner!

Col G Howie 1/1/1 AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:38 pm 

Col. Howie

I just wasn't clear on your description. Was your D drive physically separate DVD player and your E drive a CD-ROM player? Your description made me wonder if you have a single hardward drive that is mapped in windows to two letters, D and E, with one used for burning/DVD and the other just a CD reader.

If they are two separate drives and one has failed but the other still works and can display your game CD's files, then notso's procedure will work fine as a temporary workaround until you replace the drive.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:09 am 
Sirs, have 2 drives. D is a DVD dive and E is a DVD rewriter. I always use E to load and play my games. E has died and for some reason D won load 1/2 the games I have, not just the Battleground games. They all come up with the message to put the disc in the D drive even though that is where they are! Gimme a bike engine and I will rip it apart and fix it but no matter what I do as per Notso's advice the comp wont play ball. Can a programme favour a disc drive? If so will a new drive solve this without having to reinstal everything?

Col G Howie

PS A VERY big drink at the tavern of your choice to whoever solves this prob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:53 pm 

Take your time Gray. No big deal for our game, I'll wait.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:58 pm 

I can tell you at least how to get the games to play on the D drive. Unfortunately, the install drive is stored somewhere of the games and you can't change it except by unistalling the game and reinstalling using the drive you want to play from. So do an uninstall, also delete manually after uninstalling the folder the game was in (be sure to copy any of your in progress games to a backup somewhere[:)], then install the game from the D drive. Should be able to play from it now.

It is possible to change the letter without all the above but that gets into editing "ini" files and the registry. Easier just to go through the unistall/install.

Notso's remaping drives ought to also work but you may not want to get that deep into the disk manager.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)