American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:33 am 

Howdy!

I have a few questions that I hope you all can help with.

As a Confederate Officer, I have trouble seeing if my units are spotted by skirmishers and/or supply wagons. With the dark gray background and the deep red binoculars, it is almost impossible for me to see. Now I am color blind, with a red/green/gray deficiency, but I don't recall the problem until I started the Hill Challange games. When sighted directly, I have no trouble seeing the light gray binoculars nor a problem as a Union player, either way.

So here are my Q's: Am I the only one with this problem? I have bumped into units that had skirmishers deployed but never knew they were there prior. Did the Hill Challange games change something? Did Tiller change something in the 32-bit games? I looked in the editors to see if colors could be changed and found nothing.

Now maybe my eyes are getting worse, well I know they are as for acuity, but color blindness stays the same as far as I know. There was a slight bru-ha-ha with a popular magazine recently where they changed their page numbering format and color blind folks couldn't see the page numbers. I would like to know if any of you have noticed this as well. This provides a distinct advantage to the Union side if the Confederates cannot see these sightings.

I plan to send a note to Tiller in about a week but would like some input before I send the dispatch.

Yours,

Lt. Gen. Rob Harney
3rd Div/III Corps/AoG
"The Pennsyltucky Zouaves"
VMI Instructor

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:29 am 

There have been no changes to the Talonsoft games or the 32 bit upgrades in several years. The BG patches that can be found at: http://www.hc-llc.net/games/patches.html are the ONLY valid ones that I know of and they haven't been upgraded.

The Tiller upgrades to 32 bit for the BG series have, also, not changed in several years and are only available at:
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~tiller/html/program.html

None of these games are currently supported. (The BG series)

Any changes that you make to the games, addons, etc are at your own risk. If you were satisfied with the games, as they were, the simplest thing to do is go BACK to the original version and correct patches and 32 bit upgrades.

For the Hill challenge and any other "mods" out there, I make a complete new copy of the particular game and make the addons/mods in that game folder. In this manner, the original is untouched and all play on Hill, etc is from a completely different game folder. Simply copy the original game folder and sub-folders and rename it something else, BGS-Hill or whatever.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:54 am 

Gentlemen!

I haven't had time to look but. . . . here's a thought.

Wnen modding TS Battleground Games, one can view the UNITS file for that particular Game and alter the uniforms, facing etc. of each "depiction" in the block or sheet of Single Soldiers used to illustrate a Unit.

I'm sure that the Colour for the Unit Surrounds - where a Unit's Fatigue, Weapon type etc is displayed could also be altered to suit visual pleasantries or difficulties?

Or do I just meander thru' this Life asking "Whuh? Wha'? Who? Jest whut tha Hayull is a'goin' on? [:D]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Brigadier General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:57 am 

Howdy!

Thanks for the input. I found a simple fix that works for me. In the main game folder for all BG games is a file called: Icons2d.bmp There you can find the graphic for the supply wagon/ skirmisher sighted binoculars. I used MSPaint and changed the color to a brighter red which provides more contrast for us color blind folk. Works well and is simple to do. One caution is that there are at least three versions of this file (by dates created) so I would recommend modifying the file for each individual game. I don't think they are interchangable as there are units from different States, GunBoats in some, etc. all included in this file.

Lt. Gen. Rob Harney
3rd Div/III Corps/AoG
"The Pennsyltucky Zouaves"
VMI Instructor