American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:44 pm 

Bill,

Very true comment on how many (or few) CW films there are. Sure wish there were more to chose from. We have got Glory, Gettysburg, Gods and Generals, Cold Mountain (something to watch with the Mrs.), Gone with the Wind (another one for the Mrs.) and little else. As far as Gods and Generals is concerned use the "skip" button on the DVD remote on the slow family scenes. I skip about 6 scenes when I watch it.

I hate to give away the ending but Stonewall utters "Rosebud" at the end. [:)][:D]Damn Hollywood anyway.

Brigadier General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 pm 

<b>We have got Glory, Gettysburg, Gods and Generals, Cold Mountain (something to watch with the Mrs.), Gone with the Wind (another one for the Mrs.) and little else</b>

I'd add Audie Murphy's "The Red Badge of Courage" and John Waynes "The Horse Soldiers" to that list. While THS does play fast and loose with some key facts, it is based on a true incident-Grierson's raid in 1863 and it is well acted and quite enjoyable.

On the other hand, I'd skip "They Died With Their Boots On" with Erol Flynn. Sure, it's a lot of fun but the history is so bad as to make one physically ill...[xx(]

Brig. Gen. Philip Roubaud
1/XX
AOC
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:19 pm 
I agree with the above comments on G&G though I did watch the family scenes..[:I]
It reminded me somewhat of this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... pr=goog-sl
[:D][:)]

Anyone seen this ??
http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0416654/

<center><i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>
<i><b><font face="Verdana">"English Guard"</font id="Verdana"></b></i>
<font face="Georgia"><b>2nd Division, II Corps
AoA</b></font id="Georgia"></center>
<center>
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:24 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Glyn Hargreaves</i>
<br />I agree with the above comments on G&G though I did watch the family scenes..[:I]
It reminded me somewhat of this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... pr=goog-sl
[:D][:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D] That's funny stuff right there...

As the bumper sticker on the back of my car says, "Michael Moore is a big fat idiot." (I'm not a Republican, but I still the MM is an idiot...)

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA
VMI Training Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:40 am 

I like to watch God's and Generals on those nights when my legs are aching and I can't fall asleep. Works like a charm every time.[|)] ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzz[:p]

Major General Don Golen

1st Division/ V Corps/Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:45 am 

Mr. Peters,

I liked "Gods and Generals" BECAUSE of the family scenes. If most of the rest of the movie had been cut away and the film retitled "Stonewall Jackson's Way", I think it would have been a much better film. Actually, the best part was the opening, with all those flags flying (or am I getting this confused with some other movie?).

As for "I am rooting for the CSA", I hope you'e watching the director's cut with deleted footage [:D] !

My wife and I recently watched "Glory!" again and liked it even better this time around. (This time I even recognized some of the actors [:)]!)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:18 pm 

Mr. Peters,

It wasnt' that the makeup was heavy, it's just that I don't go out to the movies that often. Morgan Freeman stuck in my mind at the time and I started recognizing him in other movies. ("Shawshank Redemption" was the first. I remember telling my wife, "That's that guy from the movie "Glory!".) After seeing Denzel Washington in several other films, I began to wonder if he wasn't the escaped-slave-turned-soldier in "Glory!" (I had remembered at the time "Glory!" came out that people kept saying there was a 'well known' actor in it.)

It wasn't until recently my wife and I were re-watching "Glory!" on television and wondered where we had seen this 'Matthew Broderick' before. After the movie, I went and Googled his name and realized I had seen him in several movies we had enjoyed. (Not only do I not go to a lot of movies, I obviously don't pay a lot of attention to who the actors are [:)]!)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:09 pm 
"<i>I hope you'e watching the director's cut with deleted footage</i>"

Is that out? I've been looking for it. If it is, where do you get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:55 am 

Didn't Denzel Washington get an Oscar for Glory? I really enjoyed that film, both for the acting performances and the battle scenes. The introductory Antietam scene still sticks in my memory.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:51 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PEagle</i>
<br />"<i>I hope you'e watching the director's cut with deleted footage</i>"

Is that out? I've been looking for it. If it is, where do you get it?

Maybe you didn't recognize it under it's new Director's title: Nyquil. [:D]

Major General Don Golen

1st Division/ V Corps/Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:14 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />Didn't Denzel Washington get an Oscar for Glory? I really enjoyed that film, both for the acting performances and the battle scenes. The introductory Antietam scene still sticks in my memory.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Yes, Denzel did win for best supporting actor for Glory that year. The movie took quite a few liberties, and got a number of things comlpetely wrong, but overall it was an entertaining movie, and close enough to history to keep me from jumping up and yelling at the screen. And the soundtrack is one of my favorite movie scores.

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA
VMI Training Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:45 am 
And so the answer to my question is...yes it is out...or no it isn't?

V/R,

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:47 pm 

No. No director's cut, no additional footage, has been or is scheduled for general release.

Col Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:41 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PEagle</i>
<br />And so the answer to my question is...yes it is out...or no it isn't?

V/R,

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Col. Eagle,

My apologies for leaving you hanging. No, the "director's cut" comment was only a jest on my part. I, too, would love to see one but it doesn't sound as if it will happen.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:09 pm 

<b>No. No director's cut, no additional footage, has been or is scheduled for general release.</b>

On the other hand, there is a director's cut of "Gettysburg" out there which features an additional 40 minutes or so of footage. I have it on VHS but have not seen it on DVD. My own DVD copy is the standard version shown in theaters. Perhaps somebody has knowledge of whether you can find the extended version on dvd...

Brig. Gen. Philip Roubaud
1/XX
AOC
United States of America