American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which Options?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:13 am 
Which options do most players use, and is there a link here in the forum that goes into greater detail about what it is they do when on or off?

Captain Ken Turner
"Dixie" Battalion
"Guns of the Alamo" III Corps Artillery
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:46 am 
I believe most play all options except MDF.

BG D. Groce
1st Division
AoP
"Quickly advancing to the rear"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:54 am 

I normally play with the quality modifiers turned off as the game engine gives higher quality troops enough advantages already without adding to it.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:51 pm 
Thank you for the responeses, but I was still wondering if anyone could break down what the different options do.

Captain Ken Turner
"Dixie" Battalion
"Guns of the Alamo" III Corps Artillery
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:53 pm 

In any of the HPS titles, go to HELP, General Help and Dialogs and then selext Optional Rules and you will see all the options.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:52 pm 

One thing I'd like to know . . . I've never seen an adequate explanation of it, which may be just befuddled old me . . . What difference do the "optional tables" make? What are they, what precisely do they do, and why would we want/not want to use them? . . .

Col Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:08 pm 
I like to play with the optional melee and fire tables off. As I understand it (and I probably don't), with the tables on, the results of the fire/melee are normalized. For example, if the die roll for casualties is from 2-12, most of the rolls will be 5,6,7 with very few 2's or 12's. With the tables off, it is a straight die roll with any outcome equal to the next.

Another way to look at it is with the tables on, every time a 500 man regiment fires, it will cause the casualties you expect a 500 man regiment to cause. With the tables off there will be much more variability to the results.

I like the variability. Misfiring guns, smoke and shooting high account for low results. And it's always nice when the remnants of a regiment to a man seem to draw a bead on the enemy and let the lead fly.

2nd Lt. Beno
5/2/I AoP
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:52 pm 

"When the optional rule Alternative Calculation of combat results is chosen for fire or melee results, then the resulting casualty value is based on the average of two default casualty calculations. This produces values which are more likely to be in the midrange of the casualty interval rather than uniformly distributed."

For a detailed breakdown of how the casualties are calculated look at the 'Combat Results' page in 'Main Features' section of the users manual.

I sometimes like the uncertainty and unpredictability you get when you leave the optional fire and melee results rules off, especially with melee. The bigger and better unit in the right situation still has more chance of success, but it's just not guaranteed, However, results can also exceed your expectations.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:57 pm 

I assume you are referring to game options in the HPS system. If so a good question and I plan an addition to the War College but for now here is a summary of my opinions and descriptions of the various options:

<b>Optional Rules - Based on HPS Gettysburg 1.01</b>

My personal recommendation is to play the game with all options selected.

I find this produces a good balance between rules that favor defense and offense balancing off. I have listed the rules in what I consider related groups with explainations. This one determines whether the "new" Turn based game play is used. Turned based is badly flawed so I recommend always selecting this "On" for phased play. There is one exception. For multiplayer games "Turned" based play considerably simplifies play so I do recommend it for that.
<b>
Manual Defensive Fire:</b> If on game is played in phases, if off game is played in turns (movement, fire and melee all occur as part of movement phase).

The optional Fire and Melee results actually consist of the game resolving the combat twice and averaging the result. It has the affect of moving the combat results more toward their median values. I prefer toning down the extremes and feel it generally produces a more realistic result. Also keeps you from feeling like one bad die roll decided the game. :)

<b>Optional Fire Results:</b> Average two results.

<b>Optional Melee results:</b> Average two results.

Combat modifier options including the Density modifier. Quality modifiers say that the Stonewall brigade ought to produce more casualties than say some green unit man for man because they are steadier and know what they are doing. I agree this should be on. While I haven't seen the density one in use yet I agree with the idea. Piling to many men in a single hex should make them better targets. The Flank Morale bonus is another new one that looks like a logical addition. This one will help encourage continuous lines rather than checer board defenses.

<b>Quality Fire Modifiers:</b> A/B units +10%, E/F units -10% modifier.

<b>Quality Melee Modifiers:</b> A/B units +10%, E/F units -10% modifier.

<b>Density Fire Modifier:</b> Fire against a target hex with more than 2/3 of the maximum stacking increased. This increase is proportional to the stacking value up to a maximum of 150% at maximum stacking.

<b>Flank Morale Modifier:</b> Morale of units increased by 1 for Rout and Disruption determination when they have friendly non-Leader units on both flanks.

I like the higher recovery rates because I find it actually encourages the player to not fight every unit. Managing fatigue becomes an important part of managing your forces. Without it, it is pointless to rest troops during the day since only at night is there any chance of recovery. With the rule daylight resting before reaching high fatigue is an important strategy for winning long battles. I include night fatigue in this since its part of managing fatigue although I haven't seen this one in action yet.

<b>Higher Fagtigue Recovery Rates:</b> Low Fatigue will have a fatigue recovery rate which is 5 times normal. Units with Medium Fatigue will have a fatigue recovery rate which is 3 times normal.

<b>Night Movement Fatigue:</b> Units that move during night turns accrue Fatigue based on the Night Movement Penalty parameter data value.

The next group are all related to isolation, surrounds and automatic kills. I believe they should be used as a group. I like the Isolation rule because it forces the player to keep his troops in formation and properly supported. That said, I also think it's to severe in its implementation so having the Weak ZOC and Partial Retreats on put some limits on it.

<b>Isolation Rules:</b> Causes Isolated units to have their strength divided by 4 when defending in a melee. Also Isolated leaders receive no benefit from their commanders during command checks. When an Isolated Artillery unit fires, it may become Low or Out-Of-Ammo. The Artillery unit will become resupplied when it becomes non-Isolated, unless the Artillery supply level for its side is zero.

<b>Weak Zone-of-Control:</b> Allow units to move one hex through enemy Zone-Of-Control per turn and to allow units to retreat one hex through enemy Zone-Of-Control.

<b>Partial Retreats:</b> Allow some units to retreat from a hex after being defeated in melee even when there is not enough room for all of the units to retreat.

The remaining are some cat and dog rules that fix various problems. Rout Limiting I tend to favor being on because massive routes just didn't happen as often as the game will cause without it. Victory Points for leaders just seems logical. Automated Defensive Fire is a must to play PBEM games in a reasonable time. Bridge repair is one that make some rather interesting changes to play, especially in Peninsul games. And, the Full Melee Defensive Fire is an attempt at fixing one of the worse side affects of Turn play (and only applies to Turn play).

<b>Rout Limiting:</b> Reduce the amount of secondary routing that occurs. Units in adjacent hexes undergoing a morale check receive a progressively larger modifier to their default morale. This modifier starts at 1 and is increased by 1 for each iteration based on a failed morale check.

<b>Automated Defensive Fire:</b> have the Defensive Fire Phase of Play-By-E-Mail (PBEM) games conducted under the control of the computer.

<b>Victory Points for Leader Casualties:</b> Victory Points awarded for enemy leaders that are killed, wounded, or captured.

<b>Bridge Limit and Repair:</b> Invoke the optional bridge repair and bridge limit rules.

<b>Full Melee Defensive Fire:</b> fire conducted by the program against attacking units in melee at full strength instead of half-strength.

MG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)