American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:32 am 
Notso,

I came late to FtW, but did enjoy the process and particularly reading the exploits even before I joined. Sorry to see the tents fold, but know that it was a yoemans effort that you, Hank and many many others put into this out of love for the era. Thank-you or, as we say in Hawaii, Mahalo.

Now dadburn it, tell me what I was going to face in Chattenoga on turn 5. Was it an open city or the whole durn reb army. My men were given orders to march on Nov 25th and we really really want to know what we would have faced.

Three Cheers to All who gave us this great Enterprise.

Your Humble Servant

Gen. Mark E. Wolken
Army of the Tennessee
Commanding
"The Army will forage liberally during the march." W.T Sherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:41 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="pink">
Colonel Quick Suh! <salute>

Notso, are these battles generated thru the older version of HPS Corinth? And are they stand alone battles which could be posted to the Scenario Design Center?

Respectfully,

</font id="pink"></font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commandant
Cabinet Secretary
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:43 pm 

Hank, Notso, Charlie, and the rest of you,

Thank you for the privilege of being a fighting member of FTW (and on the winning side, too)! [:D]

I am sorry to see the game cease at this time and I can (somewhat) understand your frustrations in trying to produce a moveable feast that just kept getting bigger and bigger each time you looked at it.

Good luck with putting together a finished product. As you can see from our HPS and Talonsoft games, "finished" is only a short term concept anyway! [;)]

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
XVIII Corps, AoJ

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
Cmdr XVIII Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:03 pm 

Does this mean the ANV does get to burn Washington?[:(!][xx(][V][:(]

Check with me later in the year, maybe I will have some time to help automate things.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:40 pm 

Col. Quick,

And I was so looking forward to the skirmish (or was that going to be a major battle [:)] ?) at Jefferson City.

Oh, well, my thanks.

'Till the next post.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 am 

"COMMAMD"

Thank you Notso! And thank you for getting two John Wayne movies into your message. In Fort Apache, Henry Fonda (Col. Owen Thursday) tells Capt. Kirby York (John Wayne): "When you are in command, Sir,... Command!" You have also commanded well in your shepherding of FtW these last three years. Well done, Sir!!
Jim Gleason LG 4-2-I AoP

PS: What was the name of the actress who said "... to our next post, dear."? 10 points to the winner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:30 am 

Yeah, I want to know where everyone was gonna be on that last turn. Did the intelligence chief get it right? Grins.[:D]

Lieutenant General Don Golen

Western Theater Commander, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

http://www.acwgc.org/USA_WTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:33 am 
The reason this could not go on was that although we need to playtest ideas, we also need to get the ideas more ready before plunging in....Changing engines in midstream was a bad idea on my part......Cuased way too much trouble....So basicly we are starting over on the playtesting....some of you will possibly be asked for input and to participate at times....Thank you all....
What I was considering doing to bring some closure to some of you participants was setting up some slightly altered scenarios that will cause a Grand finale to occur.....in other words, some folks might end up with their forces moved around a bit....Perhaps a big eastern showndown and a western one as well? What do ya'll think?
If this is done I think it will require a little secresy for a bit of time, but we will in the end open the books on the mysterys made by FOW.....Your opinions?
Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm 

Notso,

I take great umbrage on your slurs of my methods of fighting a war. [:(!]
To you, sir, I say: "Is there any other way to fight a war?" and "The best victory is a bloodless one." [:p][:D][:D][:D] The fleshpots of Baltimore (were they any?) are all the more attractive to the many of my troops who would have died to take the place had it ben defended.

In your defence, like all good plans, mine for turn 5 didn't last much past the enemy's turn to move![;)] I'm none too sure how many of those sorts of victories I could've organised if FTW had continued (very few, I suspect).

Like the other generals who participated, a view "from the other side of the hill" would be very instructive.

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
Cmdr XVIII Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:20 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Changing engines in midstream was a bad idea on my part

BG Hank Smith
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Smith,

'Changing engines in midstream'? Forgive me, I came in at the beginning of Turn 5 so I never got to engage in a single battle, but I thought we had used the Corinth version 1.01 engine all along? Was something else used before that?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />
If I remember your orders correctly, if you were attacked you were to run for your life down the pike to Springfield, MO. Well suh, I can tell you now, the Yankee orders were: ATTACK.

This would have been a fun one to watch.

Lt. Col. Larry (Notso) Quick

Col. Quick,

I'm sure your memory is much better than mine, and I can't locate my copy of the orders (I wrapped them around some cigars and put them somewhere around here -- they can't have gone far!), but I thought my plan was to fall back to Springfield <i>if pressed by decidedly superior forces</i>.

It would have been an interesting engagement to see if General Schlitte could have bluffed me into giving up the state capitol -- or vice versa [:)] .

I still think all those ironclads we were building at Memphis would have rendered the entire matter moot [;)] . (Forget Norfolk & Hampton Roads -- when the CSA Secretary of the Navy is also the Governor of the state of Missouri, you can bet the Mississippi Valley was going to play more heavily than it did historically [:D]!)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory
(aka, Missouri State Governor & CSA Secretary of the Navy!)

David W. Mallory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:34 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Changing engines in midstream was a bad idea on my part

BG Hank Smith

General Smith,

'Changing engines in midstream'? Forgive me, I came in at the beginning of Turn 5 so I never got to engage in a single battle, but I thought we had used the Corinth version 1.01 engine all along? Was something else used before that?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

What happened is that we started out using a very simple economic structure mainly focusing on the battles to start with. After Turn 4 and I'm sure lots of discussion between Hank and Larry, they decided to try a roll out a more advanced economic engine with the ability for each sides to control production of basically everything. There were major advantages to the new engine but obviously it was a large undertaking in order to implement the changes.

I'm sure that in a couple of years the systems will be perfected enough to allow us to start a new war again.

Major General Robert Hinkle
1st Infantry Divsion
I Corps/Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:06 pm 
Howdy all. I've been away from the computer for nearly a week and see I've been missing a lot of stuff! I was out visiting the battle sites for South Mountain, Monacacy, and Antietam.
In FtW, as soon as Jefferson City was created and I saw the possibility that both sides would have recruits there, I wanted to make the effort to send new rifles and Nappy arty there for the first fight. My Paducah force was licking it's wounds from the last turn fight vs Gen Wier and Pinkham, so unless they attacked again there, I intended to travel up and lead the Jefferson fight. I half expected Gen Pinkham to be there again. I would have been very surprised and intimidated by the sight of Gen Mallory who has kicked my butt on other battlefields! But hopefully I would have had a superiority in troops and firepower to win out. They would have been later followed by a force from St Louis intending to sweep west. I had recruited Gen Wierman who had dropped from the game a year ago to come back and command that force later if the game got better organized/had the rules finished working out.
Gen Eagle had his force wanting to push on down south from Nashville.
Maybe in another year Hank/Notso will flesh out what all they want to include in this for a future effort. Hopefully I'll still be gaming and allowed to try again... Salute sirs for your efforts! :)

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"