American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:56 am 

Just one last comment, I have never played a game over 100 turns against another human (But I don't play that many games). Even games that start as a 100+ game, have always been decided before the ultimate conclusion. But I sincerely applaud those that can stick to it for that length of time.

I once designed a game for <i>HPS Shiloh</i> that depicted Fort Henry to Fort Donelson (#61). It was 450 turns, I wonder if it was ever played.

Stat question: What game was recorded as a completed game with the most turns played and how long did it take to play?

quote]<i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Do these guys live in the land of "few?" LOL

If you are referring to solo players that buy our games - I cant speak for them. And I dont know that there are many that buy are games that REMAIN soley (Han) solo.

For those that dont belong in a club perhaps they are members of a disco?

Ok, tongue is hurting cheek now. I will retire for the evening! [:D]

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
[/quote]

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:59 am 

So far, my favorite thing about Atlanta is one of the leaders - Capt. G Robinson, 4th Div (Veatch) artillery, XVI Corps (Dodge), AoT (McPherson) - my wife's great-great grandfather. He appears in at least one scenario "Sherman's Advance on Atlanta" I've never had a relative in one of the games. He even has a "B" command rating, although only a "D" for leadership - an obvious mistake, since his sword in the McPherson, KS town museum - attesting to his great valor. I'm wondering how much research goes into making the the command/leadership ratings of some of the "lesser" known leaders (though not in the Robinson family)?

Anyway, I can't wait to play that scenario and get some of his guns in position to shell Terminus.

Col Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:15 am 

Now that I have valid information, I'll be happy tochange his rating. A or B?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elytwak</i>
<br />So far, my favorite thing about Atlanta is one of the leaders - Capt. G Robinson, 4th Div (Veatch) artillery, XVI Corps (Dodge), AoT (McPherson) - my wife's great-great grandfather. He appears in at least one scenario "Sherman's Advance on Atlanta" I've never had a relative in one of the games. He even has a "B" command rating, although only a "D" for leadership - an obvious mistake, since his sword in the McPherson, KS town museum - attesting to his great valor. I'm wondering how much research goes into making the the command/leadership ratings of some of the "lesser" known leaders (though not in the Robinson family)?

Anyway, I can't wait to play that scenario and get some of his guns in position to shell Terminus.

Col Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 pm 

Hi, Rich,

Just looking through the parameter data for historical 2-day Resaca and noticed the 10lb Parrott is as effective as the 20lb Parrott, and much more effective than the 3" rifle, which I think it should closely resemble. Haven't checked to see if this translates into the game or is just a misprint. Or maybe you have information that would indicate the 10lb Parrott is a superior weapon?

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 pm 

Yes, not sure how that slipped through. I'll make some adjustments for the next patch. The first few values are the same, but in general, neither would have been much better then the other at close range. At the longer ranges there is a greater difference.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi, Rich,

Just looking through the parameter data for historical 2-day Resaca and noticed the 10lb Parrott is as effective as the 20lb Parrott, and much more effective than the 3" rifle, which I think it should closely resemble. Haven't checked to see if this translates into the game or is just a misprint. Or maybe you have information that would indicate the 10lb Parrott is a superior weapon?

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:12 pm 

Rich,

Okay I've played half a dozen turns of an Atlanta battle with the weather option on. Like the visibility end of it but the movement reductions seem to be wrong for moving up and down hill. I tried to move a unit with 6 MP uphill one level and got an insufficient MP error. Looked at the PDT and it shows the movement rate for Medium Rain at 175%. Normal movement uphill one level in clear terrain is 3 MP, 175% of that would be 5.25 MP or rounded down 5 MP. Yet it costs 7 MP to make this move, movement from one clear terrain hex to another appears to work fine costing 3 MP compared to the usual 2, woods cost 7 compared to the usual 4, so why does it cost 7 MP to move both up and down hill one level ?

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:09 pm 

I'm not sure if we should round up or down, but either way, it shouldn't cost more that 6 MPs, so I'm looking into it and will have an answer soon.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />Rich,

Okay I've played half a dozen turns of an Atlanta battle with the weather option on. Like the visibility end of it but the movement reductions seem to be wrong for moving up and down hill. I tried to move a unit with 6 MP uphill one level and got an insufficient MP error. Looked at the PDT and it shows the movement rate for Medium Rain at 175%. Normal movement uphill one level in clear terrain is 3 MP, 175% of that would be 5.25 MP or rounded down 5 MP. Yet it costs 7 MP to make this move, movement from one clear terrain hex to another appears to work fine costing 3 MP compared to the usual 2, woods cost 7 compared to the usual 4, so why does it cost 7 MP to move both up and down hill one level ?

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:09 pm 

I haven't tried the weather, but have run into situations in Vicksburg where a unit in a depression that is routed or disrupted can't get out. In the old boardgames units could always move one hex if the hexside wasn't blocking. The same should be true for the HPS games. After all, when skirmishers are activated they do not prevent a unit moving into its last hex at normal movement rate.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:36 am 

I tested a fix and everything works fine. Ken's example will cost only 5 MPs. I'm not sure when the patch will be released.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:48 am 

Can you give specifics? State of unit, surrounding hex types, etc... Can you send a file to HPS support?

I can't think of an example where a unit couldn't move one hex, especially if weather is not used. Unless the unit is routed and enemy units are near and located in various directions from the routed unit, or the hexes are blocked. As you know, a routed unit cannot move toward an enemy unit and the program will give you that information.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />I haven't tried the weather, but have run into situations in Vicksburg where a unit in a depression that is routed or disrupted can't get out. In the old boardgames units could always move one hex if the hexside wasn't blocking. The same should be true for the HPS games. After all, when skirmishers are activated they do not prevent a unit moving into its last hex at normal movement rate.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:04 am 

Hi, Rich,

I'm a bit busy right now, but when I get to KC, I will show you what I mean. The scenario was Port Gibson.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:13 am 

Hi, Rich,

I'm a bit busy right now, but when I get to KC, I will show you what I mean. The scenario was Port Gibson.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA