American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:34 am 

Gilbert,

Make a version without the infantry, problem solved.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 am 

General Collins,

Without meaning to sidetrack the topic here, I would note the following regarding the Brandy Station scenario. General Amos has supplied one fix. Another - less drastic - solution exists. I take it that you have been playing the historical scenario. If not, then you are getting consistently bad luck with the random scneario selection in the campaign. There are 24 scenarios supplied in the campaign folder. 1/2 of these feature the Confederate infantry reinforcements (Rodes' division) arriving begining from noon to 1:20 p.m. with only a 30% chance of arriving on time. This should considerably delay the arrival of his forces and their impact on the game.

I'm not sure how I could design the scenario without infantry. There are - after all - two brigades of Union infantry included - as there were in the actual battle. They weren't employed very effectively, but they were present, and were involved in the fight. In my experience players use these Union infantry far more effectively in game play than they were in real life, helping to skew things in the favor of the Union. I did remove a host of scenario varients that featured a Corps of Union infantry and all of Ewell's Corps either arriving or on map at the start. These would have truly made for a radically different battle. To do this I removed an entire branch of the campaign that would have given the players an option to alter the forces at the start.

In essence you advocate for including an ahistorical scenario as the historical. I, with all due respect, think that goes too far.

Anyway - General Amos' solution looks like a good one to me. Game on!

Doug

Profile Send private message