American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chickamauga oddity.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:46 pm 

While bringing reinforcements in from off map, one of my Confederate wagons was a UNION supply wagon-atleast it was blue in color. Seeing the change in color, I captured it, getting points but also depleting what I assume was my own supply (and I assume giving intel to my opponent). Anyonelse encountered this within the campaign game opening battle?
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:27 pm 

DO you know what scn that would be?

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:56 pm 

No but it is an opening battle of the campaign and comes in with Bragg. If there is an easy way to tell the scenario I will be happy to tell you.
MG Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:58 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CSAML872</i>
<br />No but it is an opening battle of the campaign and comes in with Bragg. If there is an easy way to tell the scenario I will be happy to tell you.
MG Laabs
3/III A of M
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:01 pm 

I found it. That's an error. I'll fix it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CSAML872</i>
<br />No but it is an opening battle of the campaign and comes in with Bragg. If there is an easy way to tell the scenario I will be happy to tell you.
MG Laabs
3/III A of M

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:24 pm 

To figure it out

Open the .cpf file in Notepad,and the scenario name is listed on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Note, I only do this in these sorts of circumstances, that is to say, when the devs need the scn name.

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:09 am 

It's also the only way I know to register the scenario in the records system during a campaign...unless someone knows a better way.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:52 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dirk Gross</i>
<br />It's also the only way I know to register the scenario in the records system during a campaign...unless someone knows a better way.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

General Gross,

Actually, when Campaign Corinth was first introduced it was decided to simply register scenarios within a campaign as 'Other' and enter "Battle #x of a campaign", where 'x' represents the number of the battle being fought. (First battle in the campaign = 1, Second battle in the campaign = 2, etc.) This allows everyone to maintain the fog-of-war for the campaign.

I don't find this in the rules anywhere, though, and I can't find where it was documented (if anywhere), so it's no wonder so few follow this procedure. This was before I was on the Cabinet, so I don't know if it was an official ruling or if it was just a widely-accepted 'suggestion'. Maybe some of the old(er?)-timers can shed more light on this?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:54 pm 

General Mallory,

When I start a campaign scenario, in order not to gain unfair intelligence by opening the game files, I usually enter "Campaign" for the scenario, give some indication of what I think the battle is, number of turns, and where we are in the campaign in the comments field, and then only give full and exact details of the scenario in the comments field when I file the end game report. So long as the information goes in the comments field when the scenario is ended there is enough information to identify awards, etc.

The instructions and guidance you refer to is probably the 'Instructions for Using This Site' which can be found in the ACWGC Auto-System. Here is an extract:

<font color="yellow">ii. Select the scenario being played from the drop down list. If it is not on the list, choose the last selection in the list, "Other". Then enter a description of the scenario you are playing in the "Comments" section. Be sure and include how many turns long the scenario is so that commanders that present awards based on turns in a scenario will have the information they need. If the scenario is part of a campaign, then choose "Campaign" and enter the scenario description as above. Also include if it is the first, second, etc battle of the campaign. The idea is to give enough information for developing reports from the information you post. Some players are using this to indicate the exact scenario they played in a Campaign game. (You can see this by opening, in the game folder, the .cpf, .bto, or.btc file of the game you are playing using a text editor like Notepad in MS Windows) Others wait until the game is over before looking and enter it into the "Comments 2" section of the End Game Report. It makes the game more enjoyable to them not knowing exactly what they are facing ahead of time.</font id="yellow">

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am 
Gents,
To steer this thread back to the original question, I just experienced the same thing, an enemy wagon arriving with my reinforcements in the HPS Chickamauga campaigns. Another oddity is that it was labeled "Captured" upon arrival, so I moved my guys along, and as soon as it was alone, it reverted to enemy status. Devilish clever, them Yankee teamsters, pretending to have surrendered until the whole column, including Bragg himself, marched past. [}:)] That scenario is one of the Perryville battles, and the context is a Yankee wagon amid Rebel arrivals at hex (84, 27, the Danville Pike on the eastern map edge near Perryville.

A while back I played a Corinth scenario which was complicated by having significant reinforcements from both sides arriving on the same road hex. A rich and strange game that was.

Salute!
GEN Gene Nix, II/AotM
Boggy Creek Swamp Rats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:44 pm 

Sorry,

As I mentioned, I fixed the error, but it will be at least a month before I release the patch. I like to wait to see if more errors are found.

Rich

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:23 am 

Thank you sir,
One of the best parts of the HPS system is that people seem to care to fix the issues.
Thanks again.
MG Laabs
3/III A of M

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Sorry,

As I mentioned, I fixed the error, but it will be at least a month before I release the patch. I like to wait to see if more errors are found.

Rich

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"