American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Game i'm playing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:14 pm 
Just thought i'd pass along to you guys that I am playing a member of the AoO by name of Pete Russo. The fight is hard and bloody for both of us have sustain heavy casualties and almost an equal rate of officer casualties. I on one hand was dumb enough to let his cavalry on my rear, but I can assure that won't happen again. We are on turn 20 of BGG Out of the Mist and I am at a deadlock major defeat.

Respectfully
Leuitenant Chadd M. Vail
1st Cherokee Highlanders Brigade
3rd Division 2nd Corps ANV

This fight is pretty much over, but in the end we can
all say I tried my best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:21 pm 

Those Army of Ohio boys are TOUGH![:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:25 am 
Hi Chadd,

Welcome to the fracas! You know, there was a time when the MD Tavern was filled with details of ongoing games, swaggering officers and such. Now, its merely a place where we can complain about fire results and arty capture shortfalls, but I digress.

I have always liked the scenario you're playing. Care to walk us through the battle so far? Details my man, details. [:D]

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3rd Bde, 1st Div
II Corps
Army of Georgia
[url="http://convolutedmuse.com"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:57 am 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="4"><font color="orange">Gentlemen! <salute>

Mike, you bring up an interesting point that I have heard reference to in the past but have never been a part of. It would be fun to see those kinds of posts about battles and strategy for it. Why no one does it anymore? I guess we are just too busy with all of the other things in our lives to take the time to do. Someone should start it up again for old time sakes.

We do get a little taste of it once in a while at the Southern Raiders. There was/is a form in use at the CSA War College, AAR (After Action Report?).

Respectfully,

</font id="orange"></font id="size4"></font id="Book Antiqua">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
<font color="white">General
Chief of the Armies
Confederate States of America</font id="white">
</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:30 am 
Sir (Gen. Nick),

It would be quite a find if those old forum pages, from the old tavern, still existed. Even officers who weren't around at the time would, I'm sure, find them enlightening. To be honest that what drew me to this club originally.

I had been playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg online, back when mplayer hosted the mp games, and was distressed to see the game deteriorating from what it once was. Civil War Generals (1 or 2 I can't remember) was out and its was a decent game but not good enough to capture my interest. I remember being rather surprised when making a Google search to run across V.M.I which caught my undivided attention and, of course, led me to the club main page. I wasn't familiar, had never heard of, the Tiller games before then and wasn't sure where to get them but was determined to find at least one copy and check the club out.

A couple of days later I went to the city (Madison, Wi) with my wife and kids and we were walking through the mall when I made my usual stop at electronics boutique, gamestop they call it now I think. I was looking through the bargain bin and found both BGA, and the dual disk BGG/BGS for four dollars a piece. Needless to say I snatched them up and the rest is history. [:D]

I'm still waiting for [re]authorization for the CSA War College site but am curious whether Pierre of another moderator would consider adding another section to the forums just for game reports, stories, bravado, and so forth. If not, I'm sure Larry "Notso" Quick could figure something out on his site. Either way I think it would bring back a lot of the old feel to the club. It might not be for everyone, and that's ok, but for those who enjoy the role play aspect I think it would be a lot of fun.

Lieutenant, if you're up for it I'd enjoy reading of your battle. Perhaps you'd enlighten us to what your initial strategy was, if its changed, any surprises from the enemy (cavalry loose in your rear, etc) and casualties, etc. As Gen. Kunz indicated we see some of that in the Southern raiders forum but they tend to be sporadic at best. Anyway, sorry for taking up so much of this post rambling on. Best wishes,

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3rd Bde, 1st Div
II Corps
Army of Georgia
[url="http://convolutedmuse.com"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Michael Smith</i>
<br />Sir (Gen. Nick),

It would be quite a find if those old forum pages, from the old tavern, still existed. Even officers who weren't around at the time would, I'm sure, find them enlightening. To be honest that what drew me to this club originally...

...but am curious whether Pierre of another moderator would consider adding another section to the forums just for game reports, stories, bravado, and so forth. It might not be for everyone, and that's ok, but for those who enjoy the role play aspect I think it would be a lot of fun...

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3rd Bde, 1st Div
II Corps
Army of Georgia
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

All of those war stories, role playing, game reports and general chatter can be done RIGHT HERE in the MD Tavern. That was where they were in the "olden" days, and it cna be now.

So start up the band, band up the banter and get the ball rolling.[8][:p][:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:27 pm 

General Sands Suh,

Those Ohio Boys aren't sooooo tough [:D][B)], got you for two draws so far [:p]. But those AOP boys are a horse of a different color [8][B)][B)][B)]

Respectfully,
Brig. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:07 am 

HI,

cavalry in the rear is the favorite trick of Lt Russo (NB: not a bad idea..., out from Union laboratory ?), could be effective if you're surprised. I was lucky he fall on a full brigade, just arrived......

Lt Col Carlo Bonferroni
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, II corps
Army of the Mississippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:56 am 

I'll second Ernie in saying this is indeed a right and proper place to post battle descriptions, AAR's and hearty cheers for friend and foe alike!

Kudo, LT Vail. Out of the Mist is a tough fight for either side, and needs all the skills in the game to defend. Good luck with future battles, even if you're a Reb![:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:56 am 

I'll second Ernie in saying this is indeed a right and proper place to post battle descriptions, AAR's and hearty cheers for friend and foe alike!

Kudos, LT Vail. Out of the Mist is a tough fight for either side, and needs all the skills in the game to defend. Good luck with future battles, even if you're a Reb![:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:14 pm 
Your right about Lt. Russo and his cavalry he's gotten in my rear already and has captured my right leg (Lt. General James Longstreet) But I did something Lt. General Ewell didn't do in the real battle on day one and that was to capture Culps Hill. I managed to get most of the town it self, but I am stalled just a tad little bit on my right flank where whats left of General Heath, Pender and all of Andersons Division is fighting. And General Bastiani don't count out those Ohio boys just yet. I'm Ohio born and raised and my motto is press hard and quick and if you don't believe me ask Lt Russo and see how large of casualties I have just from pressing hard and quick. I won't stop until the Fat Lady Sings

Lt. Chadd M. Vail
1st Cherokee Highlanders Brigade
2nd Corps 3rd Division ANV

This fight is pretty much over, but in the end we can
all say I tried my best.