American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:24 pm 
Ok, Here it is. I am planning a trip. I will haul my camper with me and I have a full two weeks to see something. My plan is to visit some civil war sites. Here is the question, what would you do with two weeks? I live in Knoxville TN. I want to plan this trip and am torn which way should I go, north or south. Do I drive north and see virginia, maryland, and end up in Gettysburg, or should I drive south and revisit the Atlanta campaign and South Carolina ending up in NC. If you were in my shoes, what would you go and see? Any help with help me plan. I am thinking of driving up I 81 and visiting the Shenandoah Valley seeing Staunton, New Market, Front royal etc all the way to Gettysburg? Or south on I 75 see ing Chattanooga, Dalton, Reseca, Atlanta on to SC into NC? I plan to stop and camp at numerous spots checking out the sites. ANy ideas on what to see and which routes to take (north 81 or south 75) Which campaign should I see. I am leaning more towards the Valley way but maybe someone out there has some helpful insights and stuff, what would you do?

<font color="yellow">Lt. Colonel Daniel Sheppard</font id="yellow">
<font color="black">2nd Brigade</font id="black"><font color="red">"Wolf Brigade"</font id="red">
<font color="black">1st TX Inf Div.
I Corps.
Army of Georgia 2/1/I</font id="black">
www.geocities.com/mpithunder92003
[img=left]http://www.geocities.com/mpithunder92003/blackbeardflag1.jpg[/img=left]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:44 am 

IMHO, Gettysburg is the best of the battlefields. You won't see much in the Shenandoah, but if you hop over to Richmond and go north, you have a whole slew of battles; Peninsula and Petersburg, Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, the Bull Runs, Antietam. Even Monocacy, if you so desire. If you go south, I recommend Chickamauga-Chattanooga, Shiloh, Vicksburg. There isn't much in Atlanta, but you could take a short hop up from Chattanooga to Murfreesboro and maybe even Ft Donelson before coming back down to Shiloh. Vicksburg is one of my favorites because they have the Cairo there. Also, the Natchez Trace is a very pleasant drive if you want to take it.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:16 am 

It all depends on what you have seen before. If you only have two weeks and haven't seen any or most of the battlefields between Richmond/Petersburg & Gettysburg its a no brainer. Within a 4 hour drive from either end (don't take 95 during weekends or rush hours) you can see all the big battles, Gburg, Antietam, Bull Runs, Chancelorsville, Fredricksburg, Peterburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Peninsula, etc. etc. All the battlfields are well preserved and most have extensive visitor facilities and exhibits. If you go, there are also good adjuncts, like Pamplin in Petersburg, the Richmond Civil War battlefield center at the old Tredgar Iron Works and the National Museum of the Civil War in Harrisburg, PA. Obviously, you can't see it all but this area gives you most battlefield time for the least amount of travel time.

Brig Gen Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:30 am 

I've only been to Antietam and Gettysburg, so I'm a poorly qualified opinion, but the thought of visiting in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania would be a great choice!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:42 pm 
Thank you all for the ideas. I may try the northern route. Benn to Gettysburg many of times but everytime I go there it feels like the first time visiting again. I love that place. I amy just find a centralized campground that is between them all and use as a basecamp as I drive all the sites. If only 95 miles then that seems the feasible thing to do. Thanks again gentlemen!

<font color="black">2nd Brigade</font id="black"><font color="red">"Wolf Brigade"</font id="red">
I Corps.
[img=left]http://www.geocities.com/mpithunder92003/blackbeardflag1.jpg[/img=left]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:09 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Within a 4 hour drive from either end (don't take 95 during weekends or rush hours) you can see all the big battles, Gburg, Antietam, Bull Runs, Chancelorsville, Fredricksburg, Peterburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Peninsula, etc.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where is a good centralized place in Virginia to set up as a base so that I can roam around virginia, Maryland and Gettysburg? I am looking for a centralized place to stay while I ride the area, ANY SUGGESTIONS???

I Corps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:16 am 

I live in Arlington, VA so, I don't have a lot of personal experience with campgrounds in this area but I'd suggest doing two base camps, one up in Maryland around Antietam and another around Richmond. My recollection is that there are numerous campgrounds around most of the big battlefields, but couldn't tell you which one(s) are the nicest. I was just up at Gettyburg on Sunday and did notice an abundance of campgrounds around there.

I have always liked to visit the battlefields on the anniversary of the battle (or close to that time of year). I'm not sure when you are doing your pilgramage but this time of year its end of August for 2nd Bull Run and mid Sept for Antietam - MD is particularly nice in September. Also, Gburg is a ZOO during the summer and much nicer to visit after Labor Day weekend.

Brig Gen Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:54 am 

Have fun! I'm looking forward to my first swing east in several years next month!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:37 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by elytwak</i>
<br />I live in Arlington, VA so, I don't have a lot of personal experience with campgrounds in this area but I'd suggest doing two base camps, one up in Maryland around Antietam and another around Richmond. My recollection is that there are numerous campgrounds around most of the big battlefields, but couldn't tell you which one(s) are the nicest. I was just up at Gettyburg on Sunday and did notice an abundance of campgrounds around there.

I have always liked to visit the battlefields on the anniversary of the battle (or close to that time of year). I'm not sure when you are doing your pilgramage but this time of year its end of August for 2nd Bull Run and mid Sept for Antietam - MD is particularly nice in September. Also, Gburg is a ZOO during the summer and much nicer to visit after Labor Day weekend.

Brig Gen Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thank you kindly sir for the help, I look forward to the planning and the visiting of the sites. It seems like 2 weeks is a long time but when I sat down and charted out everything I wanted to see, two weeks is no where nearly enough time to view it all. Thanks again!

I Corps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:04 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="4"><font color="limegreen">Daniel,

My advice is to try and get to as many sites as possible. That being said, a drive by of the Major Battlefields won't do. I would make this recommendation for your consideration.

Gettysburg, spend the whole day there. Set it up where you can camp nearby. I have heard tell that a late evening/night visit is also very special. Site of the high water mark of the Rebellion.

Antietam is another special place as it has been well preserved. Well worth a full day coverage or at least a major portion of the day.

Which ever you do decide it will be a trip of a life time and one to cherish forever!

Respectfully,

</font id="limegreen"></font id="size4"></font id="Book Antiqua">

<font color="green"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commanding,
II Corps, Army of Georgia
Confederate States of America</font id="green"></font id="size4">