American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Artillery Question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:10 am 

Gents,I have a question about artillery availability. Have been playing some AI campaigns (Ozark) to sharpen my tactical skills. I find that after spending rounds 4-8 turns artillery becomes unavailable. I thought this was a temporary problem related to supply. However it remains unavailable to the end of the scenario. I placed supply wagons near to keep them firing but no result. Can anyone explain the reason of this; and the ways to avoid such a situation.
Thanks

Captain Ozgur Budak
3rd Texas Cavalry
Texas Cavalry Division
Smith's Corps
Army of Georgia

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:26 am 

Artillery ammo is often very limited in the Transmiss theater. If you look at the Terrain Box in the Hex Info Area, you'll see that the third line after the terrain type and the elevation line gives the remaining artillery ammo for your side (and a question mark for the opposing side, since their supply is unknown to you). If you reach zero there, you cannot fire your artillery any more, unless new ammo arrives with batteries entering the map as reinforcements. (Six rounds per gun if memory serves.)

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:42 am 

Thanks for the reply. As you said Confederate ammo value is very low in the game. Didnt notice it before.

Captain Ozgur Budak
3rd Texas Cavalry
Texas Cavalry Division
Smith's Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:17 am 

If you're playing Pea Ridge, there's a second reason for the very low Reb Arty ammo. Historically, Van Dorn tried a flank march around Curtis' army to get across the Union Line of Supply. He actually accomplished that though a day of hard fighting (the first day of Pea Ridge).

The problem was that in putting himself across the Union Supply line, he put the Union Army across his supply line. Then, he'd outmarched his own Ammo Supply Train, while the Union had a fair sized local depot at hand. So, when day two of the battle came, the Union had enough ammo for a full days fight, while the Rebs ran out of arty ammo within the first 15 minutes.

The other battles, I'm not as familiar with, but the Transmississippi theater was always kind of the CSA backwater for supplies and whatnot.

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:48 am 

It was Cane Hill, 1862 Campaign. Conf. Cavalry delays strong Union infantry NW of the Reed Mountain. The problem is my entire force was cavalry and I relied on artillery in skirmish with the yanks. It was a tough trade off: Objective values or cavalry cost to defend them.

Captain Ozgur Budak
3rd Texas Cavalry
Texas Cavalry Division
Smith's Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:07 am 

Hi,

Supply wagons have nothing to do with artillery ammo. What you are issued at the start is your total supply, which is affected favorably by artillery reinforcements and adversely if your artillery is captured. One of the nice things about the new artillery capture rules Rich Walker developed is you can gain artillery ammo by capturing guns. Wish they did have a better overall artillery supply system but they don't.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 pm 

Good things come to those that wait

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi,

Supply wagons have nothing to do with artillery ammo. What you are issued at the start is your total supply, which is affected favorably by artillery reinforcements and adversely if your artillery is captured. One of the nice things about the new artillery capture rules Rich Walker developed is you can gain artillery ammo by capturing guns. Wish they did have a better overall artillery supply system but they don't.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:54 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Good things come to those that wait<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmmm... so I take from this statement that in the next HPS game we will have...

KETCUP! HAHA [:D]

Regards,

Major Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><