American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Entry hexes????
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm 

Is there a penalty on enemy troops being too close to your entry point?

The Rebs attacked close to one of mine and after their turn I noticed most of their close units started my phase routed??

I did a quick look at help, but saw nothing...

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 pm 
I believe that enemy units within 5 hexes of your entry hex will rout when you bring on new units. Not sure if the 5 hex rule is for all games or if it varies.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"Into the breach"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 pm 

David,

It looks like you're right... I didn't know that.

Actually they didn't start my turn routed, only when I clicked on my "arrived" troops and they appeared on the board.

Hmmm, what if your opponent did not know it was an entry hex and all of a sudden a bunch of his men are routed?

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:42 pm 

This value can be set by the scenario designer...the default is a 5 hex protective range, but it could be 0, or could be 10...depends on the situation. Only way to tell for sure is to open the scenario file up in the editor and look at the details for the reinforcements. Or...just stay at least 5 hexes away from arrival hexes. [:D]

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:43 pm 

5 hexes is the norm, but not the rule. Some scns use different ranges.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:45 pm 

Hey Pat,
Thanks for the intel........[:D][:D][:D]

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:45 pm 

That's why it pays to check out a straight scenario beforehand. I once lost a Talonsoft Gettysburg variant when the reb cavalry came in unexpectedly and routed two brigades of cavalry. Lost most of them in the next turn and could never make up the points.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:39 pm 

I'm learning all kinds of things this week. Who says you can't teach an old Reb new tricks? [:D]

But yes, there is a protection range in scenarios. The problem in campaigns is that you can't always tell what's a reinforcement hex. And a campaign I'm in, the battle has turned because those pesky enemies came walking down a road and my defenders routed - and that protection range included an objective hex with reinforcements coming in the last 3 turns of the game! But that's in another club - I'm sure no ACW campaign would do such a thing! [8D]

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:40 am 

Okay then...

Here's the question... (well soon)...

I kinda feel bad for my opponent. I don't think he knew he was approaching an entry hex (I could be wrong). This is in a campaign and I sure don't know any enemy entry hexes, I try to play campaign's semi-blind. From what I remember he has 8-10 regiments on his front line routed.

Okay here is the question:

What do I do?

Take advantage and smack him as hard as I can?

Just set up and let him recover?

Warn him and let him replay the turn? (Holding him to trying to duplicate his moves elsewhere and not use the intel he gained from this move?)

Defer this decision to club officers? Like I said, I don't really think this was done on purpose and if it was an accident it seems unfair to really take advantage...

Should HPS mark entry hexes or would that also be too much info?

PS: No, Gery... this isn't in our game... Or am I about to run onto one of your entry hexes where troops are coming in???

Thanks all...

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 am 

The whole reason for entry protection has to do with folks knowing where reinforcements are going to arrive and having a reception committee waiting when they get there. And in fairness, if a general knew where the enemy was going to arrive, that is probably what he would do historically. So the cure may be worse than the disease. The best solution is to have maps big enough that getting to the reinforcement hex in time to block it becomes problematic. Ideally, big enough to have everyone already on the map, like the large Gettysburg map. That isn't always practical though.

A problem arises when a victory hex is in the protection area, which is very often the case. But that is a problem of scenario design which could be easily corrected by using the editor to move the victory hex outside the protected area.

Col Thompson's suggestion to mark reinforcement hexes has merit for folks who play semiblind, but this could be as easily accomplished by a gentleman's agreement exchanging that information between you. I usually scout a scenario before playing it and expect my opponents to do that also, so it is less an issue with me.

If this is a semiblind game, I would set up and let him recover. At best, his units will still be disrupted next turn and yours will be in good order, so you can smite him then.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm 
Am I going to have to stop singing my 'Tom Dooley' song? I have a feeling this is our Campaign.

No, I didn't know where you entered the map, but now I learned a new rule so I'll be more careful in the future. If it is our battle, I say don't pull any punches, us Rebs don't cotton to charity. Right or Wrong, the game rules are the game rules.

Lt. Col. Vincent 'Pup' Barker
Mama's Skillet Brigade
3rd Cavalry Division
III Corps, Army of Alabama, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:03 am 

I just had that happen to me in a Chickamauga CG. I play all games blind_i was trying to move around a flank and then BLAM. I don't mind it, but wish you could view protected areas like you can in the PZC titles so you'd know what to avoid.

Brig. Gen. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP