American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:48 am 
The fact of the matter is that I was unable to find a single opponent to play until I joined....There may not be a rule, but despite your denials, funtionally in this area, things are pretty well locked down....I am now aware of gamesquad, but at the time I was not....it does not take much of a stretch of the imagination to think that most who buy the game would not be aware of it...IF it had been a viable option, and I am not sure it is yet even today, I likely never would have joined....Besides, since when can you post if you have not joined? I believe you need a member ID. I know I can't post if I am not signed in. I was definatly told at the time that I joined that I had to be a member to be able to post....As for abusing the point system, there is absolutely nothing to prevent it in the present system....We are all on our honor....So to say that it is a silly suggestion, is both belittling to me, and simply inaccurate. You are entitled to your opinion, however, I would appreciate it if you do not publicly insult me next time.

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:33 am 
I agree with Hank Smith (your turn to fall off your horse Hank) and would not understand if the game couldn't be featured in both Clubs. As a conflict it bridges the two eras in chronology and participants, if not exactly in style. It does have a number of smaller scale actions which seem to be starting to gain more popularity here in the ACWGC.

I can sympathize with any members of the CCC who might feel that this is a great injection into their menu of games but, if it's shared and not exclusive to either Club, then isn't there the possibility it may bring some more ACWGC members into their ranks?

Anyway, I got to work as playtester on this and think it a worthwhile addition to your game collection, whichever Club it takes up residence in.

Gen. Den McBride
ANV
swampfox_csa(at)yahoo.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:45 am 
And I thank you for your support.....I am in favor of most things that make the club more fun and relaxed....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:01 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />The fact of the matter is that I was unable to find a single opponent to play until I joined....There may not be a rule, but despite your denials, funtionally in this area, things are pretty well locked down....I am now aware of gamesquad, but at the time I was not....it does not take much of a stretch of the imagination to think that most who buy the game would not be aware of it...IF it had been a viable option, and I am not sure it is yet even today, I likely never would have joined....Besides, since when can you post if you have not joined? I believe you need a member ID. I know I can't post if I am not signed in. I was definatly told at the time that I joined that I had to be a member to be able to post....As for abusing the point system, there is absolutely nothing to prevent it in the present system....We are all on our honor....So to say that it is a silly suggestion, is both belittling to me, and simply inaccurate. You are entitled to your opinion, however, I would appreciate it if you do not publicly insult me next time.

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm sorry if you in any way thought I was referring to you in that comment but I wasn't. To cheat the system we have in place now you'd have to have two people working together or manage two different accounts, otherwise your going to have to do some explaining. Not saying that it is impossible to cheat but it is certainly more difficult. To say that there is nothing to prevent cheating now is not true as you do have to claim an opponent that belongs to the club and unless you are managing both accounts you can't really claim fake games. To do as you say and not require membership then there is nothing to prevent me from just turning in game results saying I played anyone I care to make up. There is no checks or balances. I'm not saying that the system can't be cheated now but it would certainly be easier to do if we didn't require any membership at all from both members. I don't think it would be long before someone would come along and decide they wanted to be "King of the Hill" and begin fabricating game results. I personally don't find anything silly about my suggestions at all as it has happened before in other clubs and I'm sure it will happen again. I think you should put a little more thought into it before calling my suggestions silly.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
West Point Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 am 

Guys, if you really want to see the MAW game included in the club lineup then I suggest someone take the lead and write up a formal proposal and send it to the Cabinet for discussion there. It will take discussion there and then a decision by that group before it can be put up for a vote to include or not. This is the process that the recently added games just went through to get added. Just as well jump start the process if you are really interested and passionate about including it in the club line up.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
West Point Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 am 

I voted yes on adding the other ACW titles to the club list, after all this is the American Civil War Game Club so why should we limit our games to those of one company or one designer.

But if you're going to add the Mexican American War game to the club because some of the officers were in both wars then why not the War of 1812, Winfield Scott and John Wool fought in that one. Or how about the Spanish American War, Joe Wheeler was in that one, and let's not forget the various wars in Europe before and after the ACW that some of the officers on both sides took part in. For that matter we can change the name to the Computer Gaming Club and include all the games out there so you can get credit for all your gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 am 

In the final analysis, Ken and others are right. This is an ACW club. Period. Let's keep it that way.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />I voted yes on adding the other ACW titles to the club list, after all this is the American Civil War Game Club so why should we limit our games to those of one company or one designer.

But if you're going to add the Mexican American War game to the club because some of the officers were in both wars then why not the War of 1812, Winfield Scott and John Wool fought in that one. Or how about the Spanish American War, Joe Wheeler was in that one, and let's not forget the various wars in Europe before and after the ACW that some of the officers on both sides took part in. For that matter we can change the name to the Computer Gaming Club and include all the games out there so you can get credit for all your gaming.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:06 am 
Mark,
First of all, likely at least 90% of the club membership is quite capable of getting two IDs...I will concede, that I should have said "almost nothing" instead of "absolutely nothing". The fact of the matter does not change, IF one wanted to cheat, it would be excessively easy and those so called safeguards would not stop it....Bottom line is, we are on our honor. That would not change.
As for your attempt at asserting, that I called your suggestion "silly"....That is either a mistake on your part, having misread my post, or an attempt at twisting the meaning of what I stated. I will choose to believe the former, as the latter would be dishonorable. You sir said, and I quote, " but I think it is silly to expect the American Civil War Gaming Club to allow anyone to register any games with any opponents for points" after I suggested such a course. That is definatly demeaning and insulting to the one (myself) who said it....You then later denied meaning what you said applied to me, when it could not have applied to anyone else!???

"I think you should put a little more thought into it before calling my suggestions silly."

This would seem to falsely accuse me of stating that something you said was silly, when, in fact, quite the opposite was true. You said my suggestion was silly. If you reread my statement, you will find I was only quoting you, in reference to your saying my suggestion was silly. I failed to put quotation marks around the quote, but if you read carefully you will find that it says what I contend. I repeat, I never made any such statement in your case (I considered calling you misguided, but thought better of it, as I felt you might consider it insulting)...So you see, I do put more thought into my reply than that!

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:12 am 
Could someone in favor of adding this game state why the "Other Games opponent finder" will not work for this game, or is it all about the points?

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"Into the breach"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 am 
The reason the other games opponent finder does not work well is because it seems not many will play without the points. It would actually work for me, as I do not care about points....But I have not seen too much action on that board the few times I went there. My record speaks for the truthfulness of what I say, I would have many more points if I bothered to register my games...Having said that, would you tell me what damage would be sustained by this club if the game were included?

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:27 am 

I'm sorry Hank. I thought you were insulted because I implied you might be dishonorable and cheating somehow. In no way did I mean that! I consider you an honorable club member in all ways. However I still do believe the idea of letting anyone play any games against any opponent and getting points in this club is a silly idea. Not insulting your intelligence and trying not be demeaning about it at all but if we do that then we become what someone suggested earlier, the Computer Wargaming Club and I don't think that is what the membership of this club really wants. Now if you would like to write up a proposal and present it with your arguments to the Cabinet I'm sure we will take it under consideration. Same with including the Mexican-American War in the club line up, write up a proposal with your arguments and present it to the Cabinet for consideration.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Mark,
First of all, likely at least 90% of the club membership is quite capable of getting two IDs...I will concede, that I should have said "almost nothing" instead of "absolutely nothing". The fact of the matter does not change, IF one wanted to cheat, it would be excessively easy and those so called safeguards would not stop it....Bottom line is, we are on our honor. That would not change.
As for your attempt at asserting, that I called your suggestion "silly"....That is either a mistake on your part, having misread my post, or an attempt at twisting the meaning of what I stated. I will choose to believe the former, as the latter would be dishonorable. You sir said, and I quote, " but I think it is silly to expect the American Civil War Gaming Club to allow anyone to register any games with any opponents for points" after I suggested such a course. That is definatly demeaning and insulting to the one (myself) who said it....You then later denied meaning what you said applied to me, when it could not have applied to anyone else!???

"I think you should put a little more thought into it before calling my suggestions silly."

This would seem to falsely accuse me of stating that something you said was silly, when, in fact, quite the opposite was true. You said my suggestion was silly. If you reread my statement, you will find I was only quoting you, in reference to your saying my suggestion was silly. I failed to put quotation marks around the quote, but if you read carefully you will find that it says what I contend. I repeat, I never made any such statement in your case (I considered calling you misguided, but thought better of it, as I felt you might consider it insulting)...So you see, I do put more thought into my reply than that!

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
West Point Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 am 
Clubs are generally formed by people with a similar goal or interest. This club was formed for and by people with an interest in the American Civil War and in games pertaining to that event. The club has made an accomodation to those willing to play other games by inserting the "Other Game opponent finder", the fact that so few use the sight indicates to me that owners of those games have found other venues, or points are more important than the games. When one joins this club, I believe it is pretty clear which games are used by the club, and what type of game is likely to be added to the list. So, armed with this information, it seems one that joins should expect that Civil War games are the focus of the club, and that simply purchasing a game about another conflict does not obligate the club or its members to provide further accomodation. As to what harm it could cause, once the camel gets its nose in your tent, you can be sure it won't be long before the whole camel is in your tent.

MG D. Groce
AoP
V Corps
2nd Division
"Into the breach"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:59 am 
Interesting analogy....I am sure the designers of the game truly appreciate it....I guess I am not anti Camel....We'll simply have to disagree....I see no danger from the "Camel".....I think those who do are being imaginative.....Mark, we'll just have to disagree...I will state that I never thought you were accusing me of being dishonarable....That is unthinkable Sir, as I am a good Southern man, so the thought never occured to me!
Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:49 pm 

Can we add "CARRIERS AT WAR" to the club, please? It's a great game, and Americans make up one of the armies.

I'M KIDDING!!!! But it is a great game, and if you like WWII Naval warfare, you should look it it. [:D]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 pm 
Al,
I'll tell you the game I want added.....John Tiller or NWS.....That game is "Ironclads"....I want to see that title really badly.........No chance you could do a Civil War Mod for your Game is there? Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding