American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 pm 

Thanks, keep them coming.

I too wish replays could be paused and the speed adjusted.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:46 pm 

Rich, I'm far more simple minded (okay, retarded) than my esteemed colleagues.

1 - Include a scenario name and/or number in the cpf that allows us to identify which campaign scenario that we are playing.

2 - Identify for us in the scenario description when the scenario is balanced by casualties counting more for one side than the other.

3 - Catch up on patches across the games. I'm getting confused as I switch from one campaign to another that has different patches applied to them.

4 - Since it impacts my movement points, shouldn't I be able to tell if I'm within the control of an opposing unit's skirmishers before I start movement?

5 - Round down instead of up when a leader changes into or out of the saddle. If I had the patience to do it, I could currently move Gen Meade all of the way across the Gettysburg map in one turn if I wanted.

6 - I've often wondered why I could change formations at normal cost with a unit that was already in an opponent's ZOC but I couldn't if I moved into a ZOC while I was in column regardless of how many movement points that I had left.

7 - In scenarios that do not have exit hexes, shouldn't my opponent receive some points for every unit that I exit from the battlefield?

8 - Can I have a nuke option for when my opponent has really gotten my goat?

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:20 pm 

The last few posts reminded me of another:

Extended line, maybe like the Nappy games. Union usually has problem with oversize regiments that need to cover more line. The Rebels have problems when trying to hold fortified lines like in the Peninsula scenarios. Being able to extend even small regiments across two hexes would solve some problems in those games.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:49 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />Rich, I'm far more simple minded (okay, retarded) than my esteemed colleagues.

1 - Include a scenario name and/or number in the cpf that allows us to identify which campaign scenario that we are playing.

2 - Identify for us in the scenario description when the scenario is balanced by casualties counting more for one side than the other.

3 - Catch up on patches across the games. I'm getting confused as I switch from one campaign to another that has different patches applied to them.

4 - Since it impacts my movement points, shouldn't I be able to tell if I'm within the control of an opposing unit's skirmishers before I start movement?

5 - Round down instead of up when a leader changes into or out of the saddle. If I had the patience to do it, I could currently move Gen Meade all of the way across the Gettysburg map in one turn if I wanted.

6 - I've often wondered why I could change formations at normal cost with a unit that was already in an opponent's ZOC but I couldn't if I moved into a ZOC while I was in column regardless of how many movement points that I had left.

7 - In scenarios that do not have exit hexes, shouldn't my opponent receive some points for every unit that I exit from the battlefield?

8 - Can I have a nuke option for when my opponent has really gotten my goat?

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

1) OK, I'll do better next time.

2) I think I experimented with this in only Shiloh. I haven't used this balancing method since that release.

3) I believe all are UTD, excepting that Antietam has just been released and is the only one with different options. This will be corrected. Keep in mind that there are over 60 new HPS titles and it takes time to patch them all. Also, we like to see if more bugs develop after a new release. Sometimes bugs aren't recognized during playtest, that's why you guys are so valuable.

4) Interesting and seems logical

6) Formation changes in a ZOC with attract enemy fire, so it does cost.

7) The map edge shouldn't be considered a wall

8) You don't know the nuke cheat code. LOL! Keep looking!

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 am 
Seeing it again reminded me:

Please add a slower replay speed for the 2D playbacks that doesn't zip by faster than an owl could watch. And a pause button would be great, especially when a replay is running and the wife says dinner is ready... boy that one stinks, lol. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:46 am 

One thing, this is only a problem when using "On Map" results.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>
<br />Seeing it again reminded me:

Please add a slower replay speed for the 2D playbacks that doesn't zip by faster than an owl could watch. And a pause button would be great, especially when a replay is running and the wife says dinner is ready... boy that one stinks, lol. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:12 pm 

Quote: <i>Extended line, maybe like the Nappy games. Union usually has problem with oversize regiments that need to cover more line. The Rebels have problems when trying to hold fortified lines like in the Peninsula scenarios. Being able to extend even small regiments across two hexes would solve some problems in those games.</i>

I'd probably prefer Nap style detachable skirmishers and possibly also a few chateau type hexes - these would certainly make fortified positions tougher to assault! Detachable skirmishers would also be very useful in dense woodland to scout ahead to the edge of the woods and to protect exposed flanks.

Brig. Gen. Rich White
3rd Brig. III Corps
Phantom Cav. Div.
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:15 pm 

Quote: <i>Extended line, maybe like the Nappy games. Union usually has problem with oversize regiments that need to cover more line. The Rebels have problems when trying to hold fortified lines like in the Peninsula scenarios. Being able to extend even small regiments across two hexes would solve some problems in those games.</i>

I'd probably prefer Nap style detachable skirmishers and possibly also a few chateau type hexes - these would certainly make fortified positions tougher to assault! Detachable skirmishers would also be very useful in dense woodland to scout ahead to the edge of the woods and to protect exposed flanks.

Brig. Gen. Rich White
3rd Brig. III Corps
Phantom Cav. Div.
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:21 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />One thing, this is only a problem when using "On Map" results.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ALynn</i>

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

That is true, but without them I have to click a button after every result, which is equally or more annoying. Just a second longer between each result would be plenty, and a pause button of sorts... that's all I ask. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:31 pm 

I have just now read this topic and I noticed a reference to BCE. I think this would be one of the best advances that could be made in both the Civil War and Nappy games. So often it seems that these games turn into fight to the death matches. Units simply fight long past the point where they would no longer be engaged. You could have Brigade effectiveness, division effectiveness and up to Corps and finally army. You could defeat the enemy without actually having to kill 50,000 men. This would place more emphasis on planned attacks, fire combat, and reserves. It would also limit fighting all along a line. Along with this I think that units with red fatigue should be restricted from offensive action. Players would have to pay closer attention to fatigue, use units in coordinated actions and rotate units out of the fighting to rest. Consider Heth and Pender at Gettysburg. They rested the entire 2nd day.

Major General Jon Thayer
Old North State Divison
3/III
Army of Northern Virginia

jonathanthayer@bellsouth.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:46 pm 

I understand, and it sounds simple. So maybe it can be done. We'll see.

<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

That is true, but without them I have to click a button after every result, which is equally or more annoying. Just a second longer between each result would be plenty, and a pause button of sorts... that's all I ask. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff

God Bless <><

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 pm 

I'm often frustrated by scenarios that feature lots of small Regiments on one side against a fewer number of very large Regiments on the other. 2nd Winchester in HPS Gettysburg is the best example of this I can think of. The Union are outnumbered by about 2-1 in strength but in actual units it's more like 10-1 It's true that the larger a military formation gets then the less efficient it becomes? but I wish I had the ability to split my big Regiments down into their constituent Battalions. It's ludicrous that an 850 man Regt only exerts the same Zoc as a 25 man detachment?
Perhaps the scenario was designed this way deliberately? It's certainly a tough one but I think Zoc rules, fatigue and ammo limits only really make for a balanced game when both sides command exactly the same forces...like a game of chess. One 850 man Regiment has 1000 fatigue points but 3 x 175 man Regiments have a total of 3000 fatigue points.

So, I'd like a command to split big Regiments into more than one part? maybe even an extended line command would be adequate as mentioned elsewhere.

Capt. Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:47 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Which also reminds me this should be a scenario/campaign option selection not player selectable mode. The detail display shows you everything about the firing unit but the color of their underwear. We should be able to play the games with only the "On Screen" results display selectable by both players. Leave the Detail one to when you are playing solitare and want to see how effective tactics are.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:07 pm 

I also agree with some of the other posts.

1. I like the idea of having less intelligence the farther away an enemy unit is. Maybe just a "?" from 40-70 hexes. Then if it's cavalry or infantry from 20-40 hexes, then a ball park figure on troop strength less then 20 hexes (I think a previous poster mentioned something similar). Having 1XX or 8XX doesn't do much good at hiding unit strength, especially at 70 hexes away.

2. I also like the idea of rotating maps.

3. How about not changing the flag emblem on objective hexes whenever one side takes control of that hex. It's too much intelligence for the other side.

4. Also, how about requiring a minimum number of troops to capture an objective hex. Sending a 25 man cavalry squad to capture a hex to me isn't really capturing a hex. If a hex is an important enough location I would think several hundred or a couple thousand troops would need to be in the area for that hex to be considered captured and held. imho

okay, now trying to think "outside the box"...

5. How about in some of the longer battles units have the ability to clear fields of fire in front of them? Not sure how often this was done during the war, but I think I've read of units being able to clear 100-200 yards of terrain.

6. How about the effects of smoke (limited visibility) only in the parts of the battle where the heavy firing has occured...not everywhere?

7. How about gradual increasing of LOS as the sun rises so it doesn't jump from 4 hexes to 70 hexes on a clear day.

8. How about the ability to purchase extra MP's but at the expense of additional fatigue?

9. How about a unit in the Peninsula game representing Lowe's balloon???

10. How about some of those fancy graphics like they have in Halo 3?? [:D]

Just ideas...

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:50 am 

More things to consider

How about showing artillery ranges similar to command ranges, all the Panzer campaigns games have that option and it really helps

My idea for the supply wagons you said it depends upon the game, why not make it optional rule? Or standardize it, I don't get the reasoning, aren't all the games similar in scale. For the most part the games I played, all the units have the same movement capabilities from one game to the next!

I think this game engine favors the offensive side hence the casualities are IMO are higher than historically they were, that is why I favor some sort of Brigade Combat Effectiveness rule. It defintely would put the premium on the player to be more conservative in there attacks. In other post; opinons have been submitted that the fatigue rule penalties are a form of BCE. It still does not preclude a player from moving a high fatigue unit into a ZOC or incorporate them in an attack yes there is penalty but, does it consistently have a adverse result on the attacker, I don't know!

BG R Trembley
3/2/IX AoO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next