American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 am 

Damn . . .

Sincerely,
Brig Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 am 
What the Hell????????????

v/r

Gen. Mark E. Wolken
Army of the Tennessee
"The Army will forage liberally during the march." W.T Sherman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 am 

Notso,

Thank you for all you have done for me and the club.

<salute>

Brig. Gen. John Newton
Commandant VMI
CoS / AoG / CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about this Larry inspite of our up and down history. I felt the same way a few times in my ACWGC career.

If the ACWGC.org is pulled I can accomodate forums here at the MDT as required.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:10 pm 

Sorry to see you go.[:(][V]

LTC. Charles Babb
COLD STEEL!
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:30 pm 
What the h%$l indeed!

Larry, I hope there's a way this can be worked out. This club would not be the same without you in it. I value your friendship and hope someone in management can step up to the plate and mediate the situation. I know tempers can flare but Larry has been a valuable asset to this online community and, more importantly, a friend to many members. Let's not let pride, or temper ruin personal relationships. After all, isn't that what this club's supposed to be about? Not the games, though they're fun, but the individuals?

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:43 pm 

larry,

sir,
thank you for everything you have done.
you will be greatly missed.

with that said;
i cant understand why or how things could be so bad that a member of this club would ever be made to feel like he or she needed to leave.
i was under the impression that we were a band of brothers, a group that had the same goal in mind, to learn and share in teaching one another and the advacement of the civil war thur gamming and freindship. i didnt relize that it was a internal civil strife about club politics. i hope we can get back to the basics.

MG. VANNADA
HEADQUATERS:
2nd INFT.DIV.
2ND CORPS
AOA

http://www.geocities.com/heydreck/AOA.h ... 3437?20075

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 pm 
So long Notso....You were a good man when I had you as A cadet in the USA, but is wasn't too long when you were a man of contravercy....Sorry to see you go, but make it fast....

MG B.G.Schlueter 2nd div, 4th brigade. AOS.....

B.G.Schlueter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:51 am 

Larry, why don't you just come back to the Union Army? We never deloused your old tent.[:D]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
I/I/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:12 am 

Larry:

I don't even know you, as we have never been opponents on the battlefield. But I have always found your posts interesting and informative. Sure hate to see you go.

Club Politics? Golly, is this thing rearing it's ugly head again? Didn't the club have a major fiasco just some years ago? In that one 98% of the membership never knew what happened, at least I didn't, which is one of the reasons I have avoided joining the executive.

I would like to do my part to help the club but when veteran members have to leave in disgust I sure get leery of ever joining the upper echelons.

Why not just stay on as a private and enjoy the games? That's all I'm here for and to meet some fascinating enthusiasts who are interested in the same thing I am. Learning about history and having some fun at the same time.

Sure, we don't all agree on the HPS system all of the time but as long as there is respect I would hang in there.

Just my two cents, but we would like to have you stay on.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:17 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So long Notso....You were a good man when I had you as A cadet in the USA, but is wasn't too long when you were a man of contravercy....Sorry to see you go, but make it fast....

MG B.G.Schlueter 2nd div, 4th brigade. AOS.....

B.G.Schlueter<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">This seems a bit harsh if personl for my confederate bill. But, if I was a betting man, which I am for today only, perhaps, I'd wager two bills that this is prima facia evidence of someone else's [B)] transgression(s) against an otherwise honorable, earnest, and long-standing club member.

There is a good form of politics. And then there is the kind of 'politics' you often see / read on website blogs - even on my beloved S.F. Giants blog at the Chronicle - right along side what U-hear on Cable 'News' network channels. We must leave it to fellow club members to decide what transgression of a personal nature against a long-standing and fellow club member occurred here this day. ==Denny

Fld. Lt. shoeless
1st Tenn Provisional Army
CSA Secretary of the Cabinet (Retired)

<center><i>From a certain point onward there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached.</i> --F. Kafka</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm 

Larry,

Please reconsider your decision.To qoute Clint Eastwood's GySgt Highway in HEARTBREAK RIDGE to the Private that had fallen down while running around the platoon:" I wouldn't give the bastard ( whoever they are ) the satisfaction" in knowing that they had run me off.

It isn't worth it, besides, you're gonna force me to take that bounty off Gen. Moose and I'm gonna miss his misadventures.

Seriously, Larry, PLEASE reconsider your decision and stay with us.

Hunter Cole
MG, CSA
AOG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 am 
Larry, my mentor, my collegue, my friend.

I wish that you had taken another path, but I must say that I understand the issue of the DoR...you wanted a better future with better web pages. I agree that it would greatly benefit the club, and you have helped to build so much for the club that to ask for a way to improve further what you have built was not too much to ask.

I wish that this could be resolved without our greatest asset as a programmer leaving, (I know you and Gen. Moose [:)] will be greatly missed by a lot of people).

I will try to pick up the pieces as best I can, I will continue to fight for access rights, because I believe it is the best way forward to improve the club and in no way will it enable me to "Control" anything.

Perhaps by responding to this thread I have doomed myself to failure, but I believe that I would rather fight for access than update database's again and again in a unending cycle just to keep up with the DoR changes.

I want to thank you for everything Larry. You have been an inspirational friend (even if a bit mad at times, but then again, all genius's are eccentric to some point).

<center>Lt. Gen. Edward Stewart
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/Csa_Dossiers/Stewart_Edward_OBD.cfm"]Image[/url]

Army Commander - ANV
ACWGC Cabinet - CSA Secretary</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 am 
I think tht I may speak for many in the club. I have no clue about the operations of this club and may even be out of line by asking this question. Whats the big secret about the DoR?[?]

Col. T. Brewster
2nd Ohio Rifles
1st Division
II Corps
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:19 pm 

OK.

To those that are aficionados of these Boards, My name will be familiar as I have written here quite a lot in the past. I withdrew from posting regularly, due to personal time constraints and a certain degree of frustration regarding "circular" debate, where everyone repeats their point from different angles, without considering a shift in their own position, to (even partially) accommodate the other guy's opinion/stance.

Regarding this matter of DoR access - a personal take . . . .

The DoR is simply a database. Consider a database as a mechanical device - ignore that it is digital/computer based - view it as a machine with gears and levers etc.

A simple, but basic Tenet of Engineering/Mechanical design, followed and understood the World over is -

"The More Moving Parts in a Machine - the More Opportunities there exist for the Machine to Break down."

With regard to translating this Engineering MAXIM to a Database . . . . the more Data Input points applied to a Database . . . . the more likely that corrupt/inaccurate information will be added to the Database. This is simply stated to any Database Trainee - again, the World over - as "S**t in - S**t out".

As a Result, there is a preponderance of Databases - be it commercial, governmental, private or whatever, whereby, full access/control of the "Root" functions of said database is ALWAYS limited to a few - preferably one person - with supplementary others, active ONLY if the Primary Person becomes unavailable.

Following WORLD RECOGNISED Best Practice regarding Database - the DoR, is maintained by one Person - with others in Standby, supportive roles - should Ernie need/be forced/ to retire etc.

There is, nor has there ever been made a valid case - to my knowledge - for any OTHER member of this club to be granted "Control or Editorial" access to the DoR Database. I for one - cannot conceive of a legitimate reason for anyone to require such access - unless it is for the pure reason of "Control".

Without meaning to attack on a personal level . . . But. in order to ensure a complete picture is presented to ACWGC Members - I list as follows:

1. Larry Quick was expelled from this Club for sending extremely derogatory and insulting e-mail to certain members of the then incumbent Cabinet and Union "Senior Officers", during the Great Dispute - alluded to earlier in this thread, with a view to Bullying HIS particular personal preferences into existence.
2. Larry was re-admitted - on the Confederate side - after an apology for his previous actions.
3. Larry was elected to Cabinet and almost immediately began to press for alterations to Cabinet, Club and Procedural mechanisms.
4. After Cabinet engaged in DEMOCRATIC Debate and Voting on the Issues raised by Larry - all of his ideas were rejected - UNANIMOUSLY.
5. Concurrent to the DEMOCRATIC Debate and Voting on these issues, Larry engaged in a simultaneous campaign of selective e-mails to certain members of the Club, with a view to pressurising members of Cabinet into voting in accordance with HIS wishes - not necessarily those that would benefit the Club Membership as a whole.
6. Within these actions, Larry brought information from Cabinet discussions into Public View - via these Boards and thru' private e-mail - slanting it to suit his personal aims - whilst this was not outside established Rules 'per se' - IT WAS outside of agreed protocols and ungentlemanly conduct.
7. When this was pointed out to him AND after his proposals were UNANIMOUSLY rejected - he resigned from Cabinet.
8. Larry then proceeded to garner support within the Club, basically trying to build a "Personality Cult", by offering and constructing Web Support for any/all members that wished to avail of it. The time has now arrived where quite a sizeable chunk of the Club's infrastructure has arrived in the hands of one particular individual Member.
9. You will rarely hear of Larry's past and present misbehaviour . . . . present - because it is Cabinet Policy to preserve a Member's good Name, regardless of any scurrilous behaviour by that member and past because there is a campaign and belief that " the Past belongs in the Past."!
10. Larry is ALWAYS sinned against . . . never The Sinner.
11. Larry always crafts his outbursts and "Announcements/Pronouncements - similarly to this one - in a whining, self-depreciating, Self-Pitying "Poor Li'll ole Me" tone.
12. Having served 2 Years out of my 5 years service in the ACWGC, as a Cabinet Secretary - I will stand to my Death, in Defence of all that have served on Cabinet duty in the ACWGC and state that the Core of Their Service has been Selfless and orientated towards the General Good of the ACWGC.
13. With one exception . . . I leave You to decide Whom I consider to have served for purely selfish reasons.

With regard to Cabinet Policy in refraining to comment on ****-stirring Crap such as the initial post on this thread - I would normally adhere to that policy - even 'tho' I am retired from Cabinet - this last 7 months or so . . . and have rarely if ever, felt moved enough to Task a fellow member this fervently, regarding a Club Matter.

However, phraseology in the Line of " the good old boy network in the club" etc, is such a gross insult to those, who have served and continue to serve the ACWGC Cabinet/Army Commands Unselfishly, Unadvertised and -for the most part - anonymously . . . that I am moved to quote and then ask -

" I will be pulling the plug on ACWGC.ORG in 30 days."

- if this means that Larry will Permanently remove Himself from any/all association with the ACWGC from that Date on . . .

1. Can this Not be achieved any sooner?
2. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Lieutenant General.
Kilcullen Irregulars
II Corps
Army of Georgia

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "