American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:05 pm 

Well the first month of the war has passed and the Union has gained control of West Virginia and Missouri but were repulsed at Manassas.
Apparently Robert Garnett has become the first officer to die in the war as he died trying to defend Grafton from the troops under the command of McClellan and Rosecrans. Heintzelman was wounded on the Union side at Manassas. More as we play on.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 pm 

Historically accurate beginning, except I don't recall if Heintzelman was wounded at Manassas. Robert Garnett was the first general to die, though, and it was in W Va.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:52 am 

Just played the Sept. 1861 turn. The Union decided to get a jump on the Confederacy and violated Kentucky's neutrality. Cost me 60 political points but I more then gained that back by taking most of the areas in Kentucky. Now to sit back and see what kind of reaction I get from the Rebels. Going in first also saves me from having to attack across the Ohio River to gain a foothold in Paducah and Louisville. We were able to advance all the way to the Tennessee line though so I should be secure in my holdings there. Last turn and this turn I took the five sea islands to help with my blockade efforts. The ones that fell last turn had heavy artillery added this turn to increase the effect. They'll all get depots next turn to help supply the blockading fleet. Also sent troops into Fayetteville to try and get some easy political points in Arkansas. The Army of the Potomac was quiet this month as we trained up militia to regulars....and I've got a lot of militia right now. Really needing the artillery units that I've ordered built to come off the factory floor. Also needing to send some leaders to and fro to get everyone under command.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:35 am 

Thanks for the AAR - I've got to get this game![8D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:16 pm 

The Rebels managed to kick me out of Fayetteville but he was unable to counterattack into Kentucky so one of the two indicators is now showing Union. Hopefully the other will switch so I can reduce my garrison needs somewhat. Spent the October turn training up militia and reorganizing. Did take a chance and launched an invasion to try and close the mouth of the Missippi by taking one of the forts there. Be interesting to see how that turns out. Confederate raids hurt my railroads so I'll have to spend some of my production to making supply rather then arms or ships.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:57 pm 

Ok, Kennon and I are putting the game through it's paces. I'm taking the Union and we are putting the economy on auto.

Just some general comments and observations in a person to person game as opposed to fighting against the AI.

1.) I just love the game, and now think it will be the best Strategic Game on the American Civil War for quite some time yet.

2.) I have noticed in this game that I'm not getting as many leaders as I did in the AI game, but this may be a false impression because now the pressure is on!

3.) The replay is a little different than we are used to in HPS, in the sense that once you load the game (similar to HPS) you call up a little VCR kind of button that show you what occurred in your opponents turn. It does give some 'technically' internal information about your opponent but not anything that couldn't have been gleaned from captured enemy papers or spies in general. For example you may get a report that General Hardee (an enemy general) has been raised in rank or that Nashville is now fortified.

4.) As we move along we will give some after action reports but for now we are in December of 1861. Missouri and West Virginia have gone over to the Union but Kentucky has been invaded by the Confederates and the Union has responded. No one controls the State as yet.

5.) The Union naval blockade is established and Confederate surface raiders have made their presence.

6.) New Orleans is still free.

7.) Rebels are still at Manassas, with the main Union army at Washington and a secondary army at Fortress Monroe.

I recommend this game!

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:14 pm 

As Mark's opponent, I figured I'd better post to give some rebel representation. First off, let me say that I concur completely with the opinion of this game being just plain great.

The blue-bellies have violated the sacred soil of the South in gaining a foothold in Louisiana. Mark was wiley enough to invade in a spot where reinforcement was almost impossible. [B)]

Gen.'s AS Johnston and "Stonewall" Jackson have launched attacks into the border states of Kentucky and West Virginia respectively, just to try and keep dem yankees on their toes.

You rebs better keep those fingers crossed for us. [:D]

Maj Gen Rob Field
2/III AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:30 pm 

Well winter has shut down campaigning for this turn. Last turn saw the Union take the second region at the mouth of the Mississippi which really digs into the Confederate supply situation. We'll be working on this more come springtime. Got kicked back from Humboldt last turn but it was a near run thing. Tried to run some gunboats past Humboldt and Memphis and ended up with one destroyed and one damaged. Humboldt will have to fall before we get any more adventureous on the rivers.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:39 pm 

I didn't get much initiative in January so I didn't do anything but put regulars in place and move militia to the best infantry training officers available. Also moved some naval forces around to set myself up to make some amphibious landings as soon as I can get someone willing to do it. My political points will probably be around 930 starting February and I need to get on the stick to start jacking that number up.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:32 am 

Well Grant was the only Army Commander to get initiative this month so we overran Gallatin and sent Hurlbert into Clarksville to try and clear out Tennessee above the river. I scouted Clarksville for several turns and couldn't find any CSA forces so hopefully Hurlbert will only have to defeat the militia that will generate there. I started the turn with 947 PP and picked up 12 for overrunning Gallatin. With the pick up of 17 for Clarksville that will offset the 27 that the Union automatically loses each turn and the 1 point I lost due to Confederate raiders sinking a Union ship. I'll also get points equal to the political rating of my TC/AC's so this should be a turn of net gain. Also winter attrition has been hitting my troops hard, with 3 or more being damaged or disbanded each of these winter turns. Next turn will be March and that should mean better campaigning weather.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:03 am 

Well April has rolled around and with it better weather though I only got initiative with two of my army commanders, Lyons and McClellan. I had forgotten to build a depot in Gallatin where Grant was at and that hurt his attempt to get initiative. Rectified that this turn by building two depots there. Lyons has launched an attack on Humboldt and McClellan has once again marched on Manassas. I'm not real hopeful of winning either battle but it the attrition should hurt Rebel forces more then me, as I've got at least 16 militia units training in the rear out east and another 5 in the west. The biggest negative will come if I take a "strategic" loss as this will cost me political points. The big blow I hope to land is the amphibious invasion of Barlow(I think that's right), which is the region making up the eastern side of Mobile Bay. If successful I can transport some heavy artillery in next turn and shut that port down for supplies. As the Union player you've got to keep pressure on the Confederacy all over the place as if you allow him to concentrate in a few spots you'll never drive him out.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:34 am 

Well April went about as I expected with McClellan getting spanked by Lee and his lunch money taken away. The Rebels in Humboldt were barely able to hold off Union troops under Lyons but my amphibious invasion of Baldwin came through and Mobile should be shut off from outside trade. The CSA in their turn were able to take back Ft. Jackson but I still retain Ft. St. Phillipe with heavy artillery so New Orleans and the Miss. River ports are still shut off from trade. This turn I decided to replace Lyons with W.T. Sherman as some of his ratings were better. Hopefully Lyons will come back soon and I can use him as a commander. Grant got initiative but only one of the commanders stacked with him also received it and it was one that wasn't fully stacked with units so we were really unable to do much. The other armies spent the turn bringing in new troops and guns. McClellan did launch another amphibious invasion, this time at Jacksonville hoping to cut off another port available to the Confederacy. I'm hoping that by holding his positions in Western Tennessee, Manassas, and with the gathering of enough troops to retake the fort in La., that I'll have enough troops to take Jacksonville without a problem.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:16 am 

Ouch, the Rebs kicked me out of Baldwin but I did take and hold Jacksonville. Made a move this turn though I wasn't as ready as I wanted to be. Sherman moved into Humboldt and Grant moves on Nashville. Hopefully he'll only be able to react into one and that will let me take the other. I've used some gunboats to make it harder for him to react into Humboldt. Cost me two gunboats last turn as his heavy artillery got them on the river. Also spent some time building up the AoP for another go later this summer. Activated George Thomas and Erasmus Keyes this turn. Had a 99% chance to get Thomas but my percentage chance was higher for Hooker but got Keyes instead. Would have much preferred Hooker! Down to 922 PP starting this turn. Capture of Nashville and/or Humboldt will be a much needed boost if I can pull it off.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:33 pm 

Things are starting to take a downturn for the Union as both my attacks were repulsed. A turn to gather our forces and then we'll make another go across the board.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am 

Been a couple of turns since the last update. Grant is working on taking the regions of TN. so he can make the turn around the Cumberland rather then assault across it. McClellan made a surprise move and took Winchester but when Lee counterattacked in the Rebel turn he refused to commit all his troops and Lee managed to retake Winchester. This is one aspect of the game you have to be aware of, even though you have more troops in a region the command ratings of your leaders may prevent all of them from being committed. My PP are below 900 and I'll be scrambling to recover now as the odds are against me.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary