American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:01 pm 
Has anyone else had a problem with HPS games going to a white screen as fire graphics are trying to display on screen? I usually get it on incoming fire, sometimes for 3 or more distinct firing. Obviously, I see no info on the effect of the fire. I seem to remember something similar happening ages ago, and JT traced it to a dx call. Is it possible it's back? Maybe because of changes for Vista? I believe i'm running the latest 9c. Vid card is a nVidia 7800 GTX.

I'm also losing some of the drop down boxes - they sometimes go transparent, either wholly or in part.

Never had this before - changing acceleration setting doesn't help, either.

Lt Gen Bill Braddock, 1/3/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:01 pm 

It is best to send the info to HPS support and let Rich sort it out.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:41 pm 

Isn't it usual for you to 'white out' during game play, Bill. [:p]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm 

I had a few 'white outs' back in my college days . . .

Sincerely,
Brig Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:58 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wjbraddock</i>
<br />Has anyone else had a problem with HPS games going to a white screen as fire graphics are trying to display on screen? I usually get it on incoming fire, sometimes for 3 or more distinct firing. Obviously, I see no info on the effect of the fire. I seem to remember something similar happening ages ago, and JT traced it to a dx call. Is it possible it's back? Maybe because of changes for Vista? I believe i'm running the latest 9c. Vid card is a nVidia 7800 GTX.

I'm also losing some of the drop down boxes - they sometimes go transparent, either wholly or in part.

Never had this before - changing acceleration setting doesn't help, either.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I have the same problem with several of my HPS games, especially during indirect fire in the Squad Battles series. And I installed a new video/graphics card on my pc just to get rid of this problem. But it didn't help at all. I have no clue as what can cause this "white out" and transparent menus, but it was a relief to hear that it wasn't just me that experienced this.... [8D]

MajGen Atle Jenssen
CO 2nd Division
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 am 

I started getting this problem when I changed my mouse. My old Microsoft wireless mouse was ok (until it died) but the new Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 I bought recently has caused all sorts of minor glitches. The drivers seem to interfere with screen refresh process somehow and I get occasional screen flickering, as well as the white screen and transparent menus in the HPS games. By the way I run XP. I can live with it but it is annoying.[xx(]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:38 am 

My white outs were worse- they happened as I saved the turns and wiped out my moves!! Awful, My opponent Jeff Mathes has been very patient.

I wound up reinstalling windows I had things so screwed up( I couldnt uninstall the game!!). Then I reinstalled the game into C:\HPS\ instead of C:\program files\. It then took me a few stabs to get the patch to line up. Its only been two turns and they have worked but I still hold my breath when I go to "save to".

By the way -Thanks again Ernie( my computer guru)

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:57 am 
Ha! I installed a MS 3000 optical mouse before rejoining the club. I dismissed this as the cause, but come to think of it, it's a 1000 dpi mouse with a magnifier function. I wonder if to get the 'precise control' MS touts, it monkeys with the graphics. What kills me is ultimately, it's the dx graphics that cause the issue - so MS now made a product that doesn't play well with MS. [:o)] To paraphrase, "Charlie don't surf, and Bill Gates don't game!"

I'll check for new drivers, play with the settings and let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:12 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />Isn't it usual for you to 'white out' during game play, Bill. [:p]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!

White lightnin' causes those white outs, Al!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />I started getting this problem when I changed my mouse. My old Microsoft wireless mouse was ok (until it died) but the new Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 I bought recently has caused all sorts of minor glitches. The drivers seem to interfere with screen refresh process somehow and I get occasional screen flickering, as well as the white screen and transparent menus in the HPS games. By the way I run XP. I can live with it but it is annoying.[xx(]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

I have got the same wireless mouse.... So, that's what causing all this mischief then? [xx(] 3 x Huzzah for Microsoft [V]

MajGen Atle Jenssen
CO 2nd Division
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:35 am 
Well, ms has no new driver. I think we're going to have to beg Rich to address this. I have zip, zero, nada issues with any other programs. I've tried changing mouse settings, ng. Short of uninstalling this driver and ditching my mouse for my old one I'm at a loss to do anything else on my end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:37 pm 

It's happened to me too occasionally (white screen). Mostly in the PZC series during the some of the defensive fire shots. Then the screen is normal after the shots end. I use an ATI video card on an Intel system. I'm running Vista Business x64, and a Logitech wired mouse (MX518).

I've had no issues with drop-down menus.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:24 pm 
I'm still a damp behind the ears Union Lieutenant, so I thought it was me. However, I use a Logitech Marble Mouse (trackball) and get a whiteout once or twice a turn during incoming fire.

1st Lt. Harlan Seyfer
3/2/I/AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:36 pm 

Harlan, I also use a Logitech Marble Mouse (trackball) and have never suffered from whiteout, well maybe between the ears but not on screen. I've used a series of trackballs for years to play these games without incident. I'm still on XP and won't get a Vista laptop until Xmas (here comes Santa Clause, here comes Santa Clause ...) so I can't say that trackball combined with Vista won't do it.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am 

I've been using the Logitech Trackball for years without problems both under XP and Vista. I would tend to suspect your video driver more than the mouse. Reinstall both drivers and see if it fixes it. There is a problem with how Windows handles reinstalling drivers. Unless you change versions it never really overwrites the original driver so a corrupted driver seems to stay corrupted.

I would also look at whether your video board is up handling these new games. They require quite a bit of video memory but I am not sure if they have a minimum spec.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)