American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AACW Campaign
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:50 pm 

Andy Burke and myself are playing the full Civil War campaign with AGEOD's AACW game and having a lot of fun. My first full campaign and it's obvious I've still got a lot to learn. We are into first months of 1864 now playing 2 week turns. Here's a rundown of what has happened so far.

<u>Trans-Mississippi</u>
I'm in firm control of all of Missouri and Sumner has advanced to take Ft. Smith, Arkansas and a division under Lyon has moved down the Arkansas River and taken Little Rock. Out west my cavalry is busy dueling with Indian troops of the CSA.

<u>Western Theater</u>
The CSA made an early grab for Paducah but we drove them back. Set up one army under Rosecrans with 4 Corps. This group has moved down the Mississippi and taken Memphis and Corinth are threatening to move on Jackson and Vicksburg. The other army I set up under Grant with another three Corps. They have managed to clear Kentucky, take Nashville and Fts. Henry and Donelson, and clear out central Tennessee all the way down to Decatur, AL. Busy building depots to further their advances as soon as winter weather passes. Raiders have been causing me a lot of pain infiltrating and tearing up rail lines.

<u>Eastern</u>
I'm plenty embarrassed at how this theater has progressed. McDowell is still in charge of the main army. He started out well and took Manassas but I goofed and let him get outmanuevered and the Rebs have taken Washington DC and we are working on taking it back. Currently have it under seige at the moment. Let these be a lesson to Union commanders, always keep a very strong garrison in Washington! I also formed a second Easter Army to attack the Shenandoah Valley under McClellan. He managed to get as far as Winchester before getting kicked back all the way to Pennsylvania. I've since reformed that army under Don Carlos Buell and will try again. Some of you may be wondering if I moved the capital to New York but the political cost and loss of national morale was just too high. I've also taken most of the Texas coast along with Savannah and Jacksonville with amphibious invasions. Hoping to develop these enclaves inland as soon as we can spare the troops.

I've got to work a lot harder at getting my troops organized and keeping my supply lines intact and working. Lots of detail to check but after you've done a few turns it seems to flow pretty well, especially if you use the shortcut keys to check each detachment. In this game the Rebels have taken a lot higher casualties then I have so I'm hoping that in 1864 we can really start to grind him down an move forward.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:35 am 

Hi Mark
I have played a few campaigns in AACW. I play Gene R. all the time. After at least 10 games I am still learning the game. Great game.
General Joe Bukal
2nd Wisconsin Badgers[:D]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 am 

Forgot to tell you that I have started a game vs REB General Paul Smith.Western Campaign. I know it is tough to win on that side of the Mississippi.
General Joe Bukal
2nd Wisconsin Badgers[:D]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:51 am 

Well I continue the siege of Washington but this turns political events are what have me concerned now. I continued the blockade and my opponent continued his cotton embargo. The foreign intervention level is up to 83! Never seen it happens but I believe if it hits 100 I'll be fending off the British along the Canadian border and the French will appear from Mexico. Those are some rather ominous events to consider.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:48 pm 

McDowell has destroyed the fortifications around Washington and they are launching an assault with two Corps. Would have been four but two of my Corps commanders were inactive and unable to do offensive moves. Will be launching an assault on Fort Pulaski this turn to open up Savannah and allow for possible operations into Georgia from the sea to the Appalachians, possibly meeting Grant coming from the other direction. Also hoping to throw a surprise in Mississippi where the winter weather isn't affecting operations.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:49 pm 

Well I've pretty well destroyed the fortifications around Washington so I should be able to assault but of course this turn most of my commanders choose to be inactive. [:(!] Grierson managed to take Selma, AL on a deep raid and we shall destroy the RR there and then move on to some more mayhem. Hancock has advanced inland from Savannah and taken Millen, GA, a key rail junction, which we shall proceed to destroy. The CSA is going to find itself with difficulty moving troops soon. It appears to me that the CSA has denuded the Western Theater to bolster the Eastern and try and win the game there. I'm pretty much able to move as fast as my commanders can get the gumption to move out West. On a good note McDowell has managed to beat Lee two turns in a row now with both having about equal forces.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:56 am 

Well I took the National Morale and VP hit to move the capitol to New York hoping to slow the inexorable climb of the Foreign Intervention points but it still went up one after doing so. We continue our siege of Washington and will try and assault this turn though I couldn't get all my Corps active. Grant has Chattanooga under siege and we'll try to assault there as well. Rosecrans continues to envelop Mississippi. A Corps under Pope battled Johnston last turn to a draw but another Corps is on the way to reinforce so I hope Johnston stands his ground for another battle. Also made a feint at Vicksburg and that force will move on Jackson this turn. Grierson has moved on from Selma and will let the CSA have it back and will continue his raid destroying RR tracks as he goes as he works his way back to friendly lines, just where I'm keeping secret for now.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:03 pm 

Well A.S. Johnston has finally slowed down Rosecrans in Mississippi after winning a battle there. Grant continues to besiege Chattanooga. Don Carlos Buell won a big battle against R.E. Lee in Maryland, taking over 7000 prisoners, with both sides losing over 30,000 men. Washington still holds out though. Foreign intervention has climbed even more and I'm deathly afraid that the Europeans will be joining in very soon.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:30 am 

Fortune has smiled upon the Union in June. Washington has fallen to our siege and the capitol is once again ours. Of course if we hadn't been so dumb it would have never fallen in the first place but that's another story. Atlanta has also fallen this turn giving another boost to Union support (and the victory point total) Johnston moved against our supply depot in Carthage MS but Rosecrans has plenty of supply wagons on hand and is going to move on Meridian and Jackson this turn and hopefully deal another blow to the South this turn. Savannah is under siege as the Rebs try to retake that port city but I think we can hold out and make life miserable for the besieging army to boot. I think some cavalry in South Carolina is going to make supply and reinforcement problematic for them. One area of concern is that fact that the Confederates have built a formidible battle fleet on the Mississippi and I've finally been forced to devote some resources to correcting that situation. Happiest note of all is that the foreign intervention level finally dropped a point. I had actually been compelled to reinforce the Canadian border so if the drop continues I may gain those troops back.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:55 am 

What year/month are you up too?

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:30 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />What year/month are you up too?

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Late June, 1864

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 am 

Well disaster has struck once again. Britain and France have declared war upon the Union. I expect to see the British Navy and troops next turn, question is where? The Foreign intervention level had gone down for several turns in a row when the Confederates declared a cotton embargo that drove it up to 100 again. I then had to choose whether to implement the total blockade. I had a 55% chance of the foreign intervention level to go down but for those of you who have played against me you know how my luck goes and the 45% chance is the one that happened and it drove the level to the point where the Brits and French declared war. Be interesting to see what kind of turn this game takes now....though I doubt it will be pleasant for me.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 am 

Well the Brits have made their presence felt by besieging the honeymoon mecca of Niagra Falls, NY. Troops are on the way to confront them. Otherwise not much else taking place as I struggle to get supply lines in place to support my forward troops.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:27 am 

Confederate raiders are moving into Illinois and Indiana but the troops are raised and moved to deal with them. Still experiencing supply problems in Mississippi really hurting my campaign there. We move further into Georgia and are seeking to cut the Confederacy in two and take Columbus. The Brits still are besieging Niagra and I'm moving troops to counter that. There are a bunch of English transports parked off of Boston with troops aboard but I've got 5 brigades there which I hope is sufficient to hold the place. Also sent naval forces to attack a British squadron off St. Augustine.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:51 am 

This sounds like a fun one!! Brits attacking Niagra Falls, Reb Cavalry in Illinois-will the French and Spainish invade Lousiana and Florida next?!![:p][:)][:p][:D]

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia